Choosing a Heated Humidifier ...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
joanemm

Post by joanemm » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:29 pm

How can I make an informed decision on finding the right heated humidifier to buy? I'm convinced that it's worth trying but haven't found a kind of "consumer rating" of the various brands.

Any help will be most appreciated.
Thank you Kindly.[/b]

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:35 pm

If you mean you are choosing a heated humidifier to go with your existing CPAP machine, you need to find one that is compatible. Look on cpap.com to locate the machine you have and then you'll be able to find the compatible heated humidifier.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:22 pm

Neversleeps is correct . Many cpaps havecompatible , or even intigrated humidifiers. Why would you want to outguess all those engineers.

joanemm

Found heated humidifier to try!

Post by joanemm » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:17 pm

Hey thanks - that was fast. I followed your advice and found one that should work. Wonder what to expect as far as adjustment, but looking forward to an end to dry nose and mouth. Maybe will be able to sing again!
Great board! We get by with a little help from our friends, eh?!

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:19 pm

Why? Because sometimes another brand, though not integrated , is easier to use.

I'm using the P-B Goodknight 425, but I have the Fischer-Paykel humidifier because my RT says that the integrated humidifier is difficult to attach/detach from the BiPAP. I haven't seen it yet, but she said that this one is so much easier to use.

- JB

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:34 pm

Ahujudybear, Your RT is feeding you a line of BS. Or, He/she is Very mechanically challenged. More likely the 425 intigrated humidifier costs a few $ more cutting into their profit since insurance pays X $ towards a humidifier. The cheaper model they sellyou , the more $ for them.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:55 pm

Really???

Hmm.... I'll have to ask her about it once again...

Thanks!

- JB

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:10 pm

Look at the picture. The 425 is placed on the H20 humidifier and slides into the docking tube. No screws, clips , nothing. There is no reason to remove the tank. Just remove the cpap tube (hose) & pour water into the tank.

https://bb4b1663da2f8a31ea1b-be9b2e315e ... humid3.jpg

More likely they had a few of these dinosaurs left onthe shelf. They are good units . Its their motive that I question.
https://bb4b1663da2f8a31ea1b-be9b2e315e ... /HC150.jpg

:twis ted:

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, CPAP

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Chrisp says... There is no reason to remove the tank. Just remove the cpap tube (hose) & pour water into the tank.

Sorry, but I empty and rinse the tank daily, and the distilled water is in a 3-gallon jug in the kitchen. (sorta hard to pour!) I remove the tank and refill it every day. And she said that because my hands and arms are weak, that I might not be able to handle it ....

But i have told her that I would still like to see it.

But thanks!

- JB

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:33 pm

I used a Fisher and Paykel HC 150 separate heated humidifier for almost a year with my first auto - the 420E. I actually preferred the separate humidifier instead of the integrated ones that I used later with 3 other autopaps.

I liked being able to set the humidifier where I wanted it, closer to the floor.

I really liked the adjustment knob on the front of the F&P humidifier - easier to reach down in the dark, feel for it, and turn the heat up or down a bit; instead of having to get up, turn on a light, put on glasses, and mess with punching buttons on top of the autopap just to adjust the heat a notch in the middle of the night.

I liked the F&P humidifier itself. Worked very well. Easy to fill from the top. And if a person is into dumping/cleaning a humidifier chamber often (I'm not), "separate" makes that a lot easier.

Repeated removing/reassembling of an integrated humidifier chamber at the connection into the machine probably does more wear and tear to the connector than just removing the plastic connector of the short hose to the separate F&P humidifier.

Actually I rarely ever remove a humidifier chamber. I just use a funnel to add more distilled water as needed. Both the REMstars' heated humidifiers were easy to fill from on top, as was the separate F&P.

The integrated humidifier that came with the ResMed Spirit, though...yechh. The machine was good. The integrated Humidaire II humidifier was the pits. Very unhandy to fill - no way to fill it from the top the way I could do the others. Also didn't seem to put out as much heated humidification as the others.

The integrated humidifiers with my two Respironics REMstar Autos (one with C-Flex) worked fine. So did the F&P HC 150 separate heated humidifier with the 420E.

I've not tried the integrated humidifier that people can get with the 420E now. If the adjustments are on the back of it, as I've heard, that doesn't sound very handy. However, if the adjustment is a knob, that would be good - even if on the rear of the humidifier. Any kind of dial knob beats having to punch buttons on top of a machine during the night.

I think in the future I'll just go for a separate heated humidifier instead of integrated. Handier all the way 'round, imho.

Nev

Choosing a Heated Humidifier

Post by Nev » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:54 am

I got my 420E before the integrated humidifier came out. I got a DeVilbiss 9100 humidifier with a 9200 heater base. The base, humidifier and 420E make a compact and very stable stack. It's easy to take out the humidifier chamber to refill. I pour demineralised water from the big bottle into a small plastic jug to refill the humidifier. The chamber comes in half easily for washing and is dishwasher safe. (Not that I wash it very often!)

The DeVilbiss has a large surface area and makes the airflow go round a couple of times before it comes out again, so it picks up plenty of water vapour even with the heater on one of the lower settings. It has 10 settings - I got used to humidity living in the tropics years ago and like it on No 6 or 8 especially in dry weather.

PB 420E auto, Silverlining software
DeVilbiss 9100/9200 humidifier/heater
ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Sleepzone heated hose

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:06 am

I use the PB integrtaed humidifier, and I think Judy's RT is right, for the following reasons:

1. Pouring water into the humidifier when the PB is connected to it it not that simple unless your hands are very stable. Otherwise you might splash the CPAP itself -
2. Disocnnecting the tank from the humidifier heating element is not too easy physically - although that might vary among units. It takes a combination of push, pull, and some force - I am not at all technically challenged, and I find it very annoying with the machine I have. Again, not the optimum for Judy.
3. Takning said tank apart in order to clean it thoroughly, which entail sliding a piece of plastic into a slot and then using force to move it sideways and twist it (sorry I can't add a picture) is also no fun at all.
4. With a history of polio that had me in an iron lung, I too would be very careful in cleaning the humidifier according to instructions. I guess any respiratory tract infection are more problematic for people whose ability to cough is compromised by weakend muscles.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:21 am

I used and loved the FP humidifier for years, but also bought the integrated humidifier when I purchased a 420. The new tank holds only about half as much water so I must use a lower temp setting, or be willing to try refilling it during the night, in the dark.

I don't like the rear placement of the swithces and dials on the integrated PB.

I have almost "overfilled" my chanber enough to send water into the 420, and if I forget to turn off the heated humidifier, water condesnsed in the cpap. and the cpap unit is Very warm when I remove it to clear the condensation. I think the FP hose between units helps protect from accidental overfill, or forgeting to turn off in the morning.

With a"companion" humidifier, if I ever choose another machine, it wont fit unless I buy another 420...I expect my machine to die before my hh, and if so, hope the are still making a 420 to fit the humidifier??

The Fisher paykel HC 150, holds more water, is easier to use, and works on almost every machine. I won't ever buy a "companion" unit again,

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:37 pm

The DeVilbiss has a large surface area and makes the airflow go round a couple of times before it comes out again, so it picks up plenty of water vapour even with the heater on one of the lower settings.
Now that you mention it, Nev, I've read good things about the separate DeVilbiss humidifiers -- mainly because of the greater surface area. Glad you brought that up. I might try their heated humidifier next time I look for another "separate".

glassgal

Post by glassgal » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:47 pm

I have the PB420E with companion humidifier.

I don't like removing the tank from the base -- it is awkward and seems like it would damage the base or the tank if you do it every day. I leave the tank in the base, (without the APAP on it) unplug the cord in the back and take the whole unit into the bathroom and fill with a funnel and distilled water from a gallon jug. I don't usually spill, but there is a towel handy in the bathroom if I do. I can plug it in and turn it on before putting it back in it's place. I pretty much refill nightly and take things apart and dry them only when travelling. I haven't had problems getting sick.

I think that taking the bottom off of the tank daily would tend to bend the bottom plate or damage the pressure seal to the point where it would leak. Not a great design, but I think that they were going for a large surface area between the tank and the heating unit, which they got, and the unit does give enough humidity off to make the treatment comfortable. I use the highest setting and have not run completely out of water yet. I DO use MOST of the water every night, though. I live in S. California, so the relative humidity is on the low side.

I also always decouple the APAP from the humidifier when I get up and turn the humidifier off -- I also remove the hose from the humidifier. That way the condensation does not get into the APAP or hose after it is off.

I keep my unit in a plastic bin (dishpan size), on a small stand below the level of the top of the bed. I figure that the plastic bin will catch any leaks and contain them. The humidifier sits on a couple of plastic food storage containers inside the bin to raise them above any water that leaks and improve the air flow by putting the intake near the top of the bin. The APAP sits on top of the humidfier and I use a long scarf to tie the whole thing (including the bin) to the shelf that it sits on. That way if I yank the hose turning over, the hose pulls off the humidifer, instead of pulling it all off on the floor and having to sop up the water from the carpet! Been there, done that! During the day the APAP sits sideways on the humidifier (so the condensation does not build up), the hose wraps around the perimeter of the bin and a bandana goes over it all to keep dust out and things clean. This is what works for me! I hope that it helps!

Sleep well,

Jane

PB 420e -- 10-17 cm/H2O
heated humidifier
NasalAireII
Aura that I have deconstructed & am making a
new headgear for.