Dry irritated eye problems continue

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MrRandom

Dry irritated eye problems continue

Post by MrRandom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 am

Well, the punctal plugs in my lower lids did essentially no good. I'm sure they are dissolved by now, but really did pretty much nothing. Perhaps the air is not going up my tear ducts afterall or maybe I need plugs in both upper and lower. I don't know. The thing that bothers me is that I can't figure out why it was OK when I started CPAP, so long as I put something like bandaids over my eyes to keep the mask leaks out, but now it's impossible even on a low pressure of 5 or 6 and even with something covering my eyes. I don't get it??? I don't know how I'm supposed to tell if it is going up my tear ducts or not???

stevoreno

Re: Dry irritated eye problems continue

Post by stevoreno » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:14 pm

[quote="MrRandom"]Well, the punctal plugs in my lower lids did essentially no good. I'm sure they are dissolved by now, but really did pretty much nothing. Perhaps the air is not going up my tear ducts afterall or maybe I need plugs in both upper and lower. I don't know. The thing that bothers me is that I can't figure out why it was OK when I started CPAP, so long as I put something like bandaids over my eyes to keep the mask leaks out, but now it's impossible even on a low pressure of 5 or 6 and even with something covering my eyes. I don't get it??? I don't know how I'm supposed to tell if it is going up my tear ducts or not???

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Yeah. My mask is new. All the millions of masks I've tried are new. The eye doctor put punctal plugs in my lower lids. Didn't really do much good. They are still dry and irritated and get completely dried out and inflamed at night. I've tried gels, drops, and covering my eyes. I just don't get it. I have not tried restasis. I'm going to the eye doctor again. I think he's going to put punctal plugs in both lids and see if that works. I've ordered yet another mask. I wondering if I should try a dental device instead of CPAP. I dunno.

ww

Re: Dry irritated eye problems continue

Post by ww » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:36 pm

[quote="MrRandom"]Well, the punctal plugs in my lower lids did essentially no good. I'm sure they are dissolved by now, but really did pretty much nothing. Perhaps the air is not going up my tear ducts afterall or maybe I need plugs in both upper and lower. I don't know. The thing that bothers me is that I can't figure out why it was OK when I started CPAP, so long as I put something like bandaids over my eyes to keep the mask leaks out, but now it's impossible even on a low pressure of 5 or 6 and even with something covering my eyes. I don't get it??? I don't know how I'm supposed to tell if it is going up my tear ducts or not???

bap40

Post by bap40 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 pm

As I have been reading your posts about your eye problems, the first thing I thought of was allergies. Is that a possibility at all? Maybe something these masks are made of??? Just a thought that popped into my head while I was reading about all your problems.
Brooke

Catnapper

dry eyes

Post by Catnapper » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:41 am

Hey, I hoped that the plugs would help you.

The doctor can give you drops that are an anti-inflammatory type that you can use for maybe a month. That should start to help pretty soon, maybe a week or so. Restasis does not give instant relief, but will show results in about 4 to 6 weeks. I have tried and like the new drop that is a prescription artificial tear called FreshKote. It has helped me, and I have been using it for about 2 weeks. You can find out about it from Google.

Have you started a new medication lately? When I first started with CPAP, I had also started a proton pump inhibitor at the same time. Turns out that drug was causing a lot of the problem. I thought it was just the CPAP, but I stopped the drug and things got much better. Are you diabetic maybe? Dry eyes can be one of the symptoms that bother diabetics.

The doctor should be able to tell the difference between dry eyes and allergic reactions. There are drops for allergies, too.

Please keep letting us know how you are doing. I hope you find a solution because I want one too. Dry eyes are not fun.

Evan

Post by Evan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:09 am

Restasis drops didn't work for me. I had a cortisone shot for a bad ear infection and that worked for a day or two. Brewed some chinese herbs that were supposed to help the ear infection and they immediately cured the dry eye. I haven't found any supplements that work like the brewed herbs.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:48 am

And you still have the plugs. They last from three to six months. It would be impossible for them to dissolve this fast.

It is allergy season. You tried allergy eye drops?

MrRandom

Post by MrRandom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Jeff they were callogen plugs. They only last about 4 days, and completely dissolve in 7-10 days. I just came from the eye doctor. They cannot put new plugs in until it's been 12 days otherwise my insurance won't cover it. What insanity!

Unfortunately the mirage liberty is not tolerable, it just doesn't fit my face right, the mouth part keeps leaking unless I tighten it so much it hurts my teeth. And the pillows drive me mad the way they flutter. I will try it again tonight, tho.

I can still feel the air going up my tear ducts and out my eyes no matter what mask I use. I was using a saline rinse the other night with one of those neilmed squeeze bottles and the solution came shooting out my right eye. That is the one most irritated at night.

My eyes improve during the day but I cannot go a whole night without having to get up and put in bion and celluvisc drops. I can't sleep with the CPAP at all now. I only managed a couple hours the night before last (last night no CPAP at all) before my eyes were so dry and inflamed I just gave it up.

Yes I have a lot of allergies and the air is very dry right now. I usually have to put artificial tears in my eyes every spring for that reason. I guess with the added CPAP air just makes it intolerable. Maybe when allergy season is over I can tolerate the CPAP again.

There must be some way to just plug off the nasolacrimal duct just at night. That would solve my problem. The eye doctor said the air from the CPAP might blow the silicone plugs out. I'm at my wits end with it right now. I've never been so frustrated in my life.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:22 pm

[quote="MrRandom"]Jeff they were callogen plugs. They only last about 4 days, and completely dissolve in 7-10 days. I just came from the eye doctor. They cannot put new plugs in until it's been 12 days otherwise my insurance won't cover it. What insanity!

Unfortunately the mirage liberty is not tolerable, it just doesn't fit my face right, the mouth part keeps leaking unless I tighten it so much it hurts my teeth. And the pillows drive me mad the way they flutter. I will try it again tonight, tho.

I can still feel the air going up my tear ducts and out my eyes no matter what mask I use. I was using a saline rinse the other night with one of those neilmed squeeze bottles and the solution came shooting out my right eye. That is the one most irritated at night.

My eyes improve during the day but I cannot go a whole night without having to get up and put in bion and celluvisc drops. I can't sleep with the CPAP at all now. I only managed a couple hours the night before last (last night no CPAP at all) before my eyes were so dry and inflamed I just gave it up.

Yes I have a lot of allergies and the air is very dry right now. I usually have to put artificial tears in my eyes every spring for that reason. I guess with the added CPAP air just makes it intolerable. Maybe when allergy season is over I can tolerate the CPAP again.

There must be some way to just plug off the nasolacrimal duct just at night. That would solve my problem. The eye doctor said the air from the CPAP might blow the silicone plugs out. I'm at my wits end with it right now. I've never been so frustrated in my life. :(

MrRandom

Post by MrRandom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:33 pm

I got short acting ones as a trial. The eye doctor said if my eyes watered too much I probably shouldn't get the silicone ones. They didn't water at all. They were somewhat effective, but not enough. The next step is silicone plugs in the bottom and if those aren't helpful enough then silicone plugs top and bottom.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi There---Have you asked the Doctor about RESTASIS eye drops? I used that before and after my recent Lasik. It actually helps your own eyes make more tears. Insurance covered mine but it is expensive but worth it--good luck,
Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14