stupid question about distilled water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: stupid question about distilled water

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:52 pm

palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
ErnieH wrote:Interesting fact on water. Did you know water is NOT a conductor of electricty? Before you go out and test it, let me explain. I had a professor tell me that. As an electrician I knew better than that. He finally explained. Pure water, like distilled water, doesn't have the minerals in it. It's the minerals in it that make it a conductor. Well, logic won that battle. I would have never thought of that. Just something I found interesting.
One of those that think professors know what they are teaching. Water is made up of H and O atoms, they are made up of electrons and protons, held together by electric charges. While pure water isn't as good a conductor as copper, it is a better conductor than air.
you are quite wrong about this. pure water is a dielectric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Btf38w8kzY
http://www.lenntech.com/applications/ul ... tivity.htm
You might want to watch both of the videos you posted. They both prove, that pure water is a poor conductor of electricty, it still conducts electricity.

A perfect dielectric conducts no electricty, nada. Jim

Glass is better than pure water, so is natural rubber.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Goofproof wrote:
palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
ErnieH wrote:Interesting fact on water. Did you know water is NOT a conductor of electricty? Before you go out and test it, let me explain. I had a professor tell me that. As an electrician I knew better than that. He finally explained. Pure water, like distilled water, doesn't have the minerals in it. It's the minerals in it that make it a conductor. Well, logic won that battle. I would have never thought of that. Just something I found interesting.
One of those that think professors know what they are teaching. Water is made up of H and O atoms, they are made up of electrons and protons, held together by electric charges. While pure water isn't as good a conductor as copper, it is a better conductor than air.
you are quite wrong about this. pure water is a dielectric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Btf38w8kzY
http://www.lenntech.com/applications/ul ... tivity.htm
You might want to watch both of the videos you posted. They both prove, that pure water is a poor conductor of electricty, it still conducts electricity.

A perfect dielectric conducts no electricty, nada. Jim

Glass is better than pure water, so is natural rubber.
well, gee, I did watch the *ONE* video I posted, and wherein the gentleman with the HI-POT tester determined that for his purposes, and the 1+KV application, that distilled water would be a fine insulator.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:28 pm

It's all relative, but if i'm wet, i'm not going to touch that live wire, never know when a dog will whizz in your jar of distilled water. You also have salt on your skin, it will get into that distilled water on your body. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Goofproof wrote:It's all relative, but if i'm wet, i'm not going to touch that live wire, never know when a dog will whizz in your jar of distilled water. You also have salt on your skin, it will get into that distilled water on your body. Jim
I believe the point was about pure water, not wizzed in, sweated in water....

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:53 pm

I went to a boxing match, and a hockey game broke out.

I went to a distilled water thread, and an electrical conductor thread broke out.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:28 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:I went to a boxing match, and a hockey game broke out.

I went to a distilled water thread, and an electrical conductor thread broke out.
After 7 years, it's about time to add some new info, no one seems to be able to read the threads. Seeing how the post was answered over and over, sometimes even correctly. Jim

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 pm

You have to watch how you apply this knowledge. If you wet your skin with distiled water, your wet skin is much more conductive than it was before because of salts and other substances on your skin. The same can be true with other surfaces. There may be contaminants on the surface that become conductive when wet, even with distilled water.

Even distilled water can greatly increase shock hazard in some circumstances.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:29 pm

archangle wrote:You have to watch how you apply this knowledge. If you wet your skin with distiled water, your wet skin is much more conductive than it was before because of salts and other substances on your skin. The same can be true with other surfaces. There may be contaminants on the surface that become conductive when wet, even with distilled water.

Even distilled water can greatly increase shock hazard in some circumstances.
That was my point, but it was pointless. Jim

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:28 am

Be careful out there. Different people are shocked by different things in different ways.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:22 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Be careful out there. Different people are shocked by different things in different ways.

Now I am confused. Are they A/C or D/C¿¿¿ JIM

BTW, Cute and Creative!

Cdandrea16

Post by Cdandrea16 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:18 pm

I don't believe it's a stupid question at all. My husband has only been using cacao for 6 months and just had surgery to remove polyps in sinuses and surgeon said he had a fungus up there. From clap or not? Never had any issues in the past before this.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:43 pm

ALL Cpap does is add a bit of extra (filtered) room air that helps prop your airway more open. There is nothing about it that could cause those problems. I have no idea what you're referring to about cocoa (or do you mean cacao?).

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Cdandrea16 wrote: My husband has only been using cacao for 6 months . . .
PLEASE refer me to his doctor-- I really LIKE cacao.
Silly autocorrect--makes you scream or makes you laugh.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Cdandrea16 wrote: surgeon said he had a fungus up there. From clap or not?.
yes, probably from the clap