stupid question about distilled water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: stupid question about distilled water

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 pm

CPAPER Paul wrote:Sorry, but the link I posted on the previous post was not complete:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Reverse-O ... /202073853

CPAPER Paul
so is that one.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jmsnyc

Post by jmsnyc » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:32 pm

I wanted to add to this discussion that if you have an individual opened bottle of spring water whether you use the spring water it came with or refill it with filtered (basic refrigerator filter) tap water and leave it on the counter for a few days, it will start to smell mildewy/moldy.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:40 pm

We refill the washed jug with DIY distilled water.
If I get four gallons ahead, still no problem.

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:05 pm

jmsnyc wrote:I wanted to add to this discussion that if you have an individual opened bottle of spring water
You should add that spring water includes minerals which will be left behind in the humidifier tank. If you don't want mineral scale to build up in your tank, don't use spring water. Use distilled.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:59 pm

Surely there can't be anymore stupid questions that haven't been addressed dozens of times in this thread, half of the info provided is false. Just one answer is correct, it's the one from the manufacturer, that they steal out of your xpap set up. The Manufacturer Forbidden Setup Bible.

Maybe if these old threads were read, there wouldn't be a need to keep posting the same things over and over. JIM
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Dyolf

Re:

Post by Dyolf » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:08 pm

I dump out the water each morning and refill before using at night, I personally just don't like the idea of using water that has room air blown over it all night, even though the air goes thru a filter.[/quote]

I been doing this about 6 years, I just add distilled water every night and wipe my mask with
with an alcohol pad, Every 4 or5 days I swap out with my spare tank and mask. I then wash them with warm tap water and dish soap and set them aside to dry and air out (I try not to get to head gear very wet) I also write the date I start using a mask and the date I start a new cushion on the outside of the elastic head gear.
This way the frame and head gear last about 6 months with and one cushion changed every month and one whole mask every 3 months. Tubing is washed or changed monthly along with filters. Not perfect, but works for me.
Remember: "The only stupid question is the unasked question"

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:10 pm

If you used baby wipes instead of alcohol, your mask would last a lot longer (anything with alc. or petroleum jelly is not recommended as they ruin the silicone).

Chevie

Post by Chevie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:30 am

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:53 am

I've been using distilled water since I started on cpap about 3 years ago No issues or problems with it. I don't refill with fresh water every night. Only when level gets low plus once in awhile I run the tap water into the tank, swish, drain and refill with fresh distilled water. As time goes by, I'm less picky about how I clean cushions and supplies. My latest thing is to not wash the cushion every day as before. For about a month now, I've been letting the cushion air dry. I am continuing to wash my face just before bedtime as before. No bad things showing up on SH because of this new routine.

ErnieH

Post by ErnieH » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Interesting fact on water. Did you know water is NOT a conductor of electricty? Before you go out and test it, let me explain. I had a professor tell me that. As an electrician I knew better than that. He finally explained. Pure water, like distilled water, doesn't have the minerals in it. It's the minerals in it that make it a conductor. Well, logic won that battle. I would have never thought of that. Just something I found interesting.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:31 pm

ErnieH wrote:Interesting fact on water. Did you know water is NOT a conductor of electricty? Before you go out and test it, let me explain. I had a professor tell me that. As an electrician I knew better than that. He finally explained. Pure water, like distilled water, doesn't have the minerals in it. It's the minerals in it that make it a conductor. Well, logic won that battle. I would have never thought of that. Just something I found interesting.
One of those that think professors know what they are teaching. Water is made up of H and O atoms, they are made up of electrons and protons, held together by electric charges. While pure water isn't as good a conductor as copper, it is a better conductor than air. It's a matter of voltage. Electricity is funny, it behaves in unexpected ways.

I was in safety training, they took a fish tank filled with water, put a live wire in the water, grounded the tank then had us put our hands together, put them in the tank and slowly increased the voltage.

It bit you pretty good but wasn't too bad, then they had us unclasp our hands and move them apart, the shock got worse the farther you moved your hands apart, until you couldn't stand it.

The point of the demo was to impress us with how voltage travels. We operated heavy equiptment near 4,000 volt a/c lines, sometimes we would snag one. Best case, stay on the machine, until the power is turned off, unless you machine caught fire. In that case rather than burn alive jump off the machine, landing with both feet close together, and hop away from the live wire. Even when you think it's safe it's not, the voltage can kill you many feet away from the arcing wire, by keeping your feet together, the path the power can travel is less likely to kill you. Bet, your professor wasn't taught that. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ErnieH

Post by ErnieH » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:29 am

Actually gold is a better conductor than copper, but they don't use gold for obvious reasons.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:27 am

In reality, Silver is the best electrical conductor, better than Gold. Jim

It also makes a good thermal heat sink.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:47 am

Goofproof wrote:
ErnieH wrote:Interesting fact on water. Did you know water is NOT a conductor of electricty? Before you go out and test it, let me explain. I had a professor tell me that. As an electrician I knew better than that. He finally explained. Pure water, like distilled water, doesn't have the minerals in it. It's the minerals in it that make it a conductor. Well, logic won that battle. I would have never thought of that. Just something I found interesting.
One of those that think professors know what they are teaching. Water is made up of H and O atoms, they are made up of electrons and protons, held together by electric charges. While pure water isn't as good a conductor as copper, it is a better conductor than air.
you are quite wrong about this. pure water is a dielectric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Btf38w8kzY
http://www.lenntech.com/applications/ul ... tivity.htm

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ddefendi

Post by ddefendi » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:12 pm

The Top Ten Conductive Order Of Metals
1. Silver (pure)
2. Copper (pure)
3. Gold (pure)
4. Aluminum
5. Zinc
6. Nickel
7. Brass
8. Bronze