Respironics M series humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RonS

Respironics M series humidifier

Post by RonS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi all,

I am looking at getting an M series machine and looking at the pics sent to me of the plastic water tank, I am struck by the fact that I have no idea how this thing works (other than "it must work pretty well." )

I don't see any ports for the air to flow in and out of the water chamber, I don't see hose attachments, and the outside lid of the machine doesn't look particularly pressureised air-tight, so can someone tell me how the thing works?

Thanks!

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:34 pm

very poor design, take the tank apart for cleaning as the recommend and you too will eventually realize the leaky tank.

They won't stand behind it if it ruins your night stand from water damage, they no longer include the swivel elbow that attached to the back so you can bring your hose out without having the machine a foot away from the wall.

don't waste your money on that poorly designed POS, get the F&P HC150 humidifier and you can use it with every cpap out there and won't have to buy another if you get a different machine. It's tank design is proven itself over the years.

I don't know what the drive is behind designing machines with the hose coming out the back, that is the stupidest concept found.

Problem with the M series tank design is it splits in half and the water level is above the split where the o-ring is, under CPAP pressure it blows water out when full around the locking clip. If you can get it back together in time you can probably epoxy the two halves together.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

RonS

Post by RonS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks for your reply.

So there where are the air input/output ports on the tank? I don't see them in the pictures provided. Are they in the back?

RonS

Post by RonS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:56 pm

PS I also have and am using a standalone humidifier (in my sig) so if the M Series Humidifier doesn't work, that's fine. I'm just wondering how the M Series functions.

Sounds like the plastic tank is a little flimsy compared to what I have.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:07 pm

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

RAINSUX

Post by RAINSUX » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:34 pm

I just got one. You pull it out of the front of the machine, stand it on end (you have to hold it because it isn't designed to stand up by itself, which is dumb) fill it through the tall pipe, carefully turn it back down withoug spilling any water, and stick it back in the machine, tubes first. The air goes in and out through the tubes, inside the machine. The hose attaches at the back of the machine, which is really dumb. The smart card is also in the back, which is also dumb for those of us who remove it every day to read it. That all said, I love the AFlex and the humidifier isn't as big of a PITA as it sounds.

Sam

CPAP therapy is so easy you can do it in your sleep!

RonS

Post by RonS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:37 pm

AHA!
RAINSUX wrote:I just got one. The air goes in and out through the tubes,
The pics I saw doesn't have the tubes, the pic is only from the top/front so I didn't see the openings, and don't see any tubes. The seal is blue in color, so it is the (I assume) earliest model.

Thank you both.

Perchancetodream

Post by Perchancetodream » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:53 pm

I just got an M series with the integrated heated humidifier in Sept. The DME replaced the tank which did leak (the new one doesn't).

The tank is inserted into the casing which connects via the two rectangular openings on the tank. There are soft collars that allow for a snug fit.

I agree that having the hose and the smart card insert in the back of the machine is an inconvenient design, but my husband has a PB GoodKnight that has the hose coming out of the top: at least mine will fit into the drawer of my nightstand.

Susan

"If space is really a vacuum, who changes the bag?" George Carlin

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:32 am

I've had this machine, with the standard humidifier, since January 2. I haven't had any problems with the machine or the tank, and I really like the machine and A-flex.

Andy

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:40 am

I have this machine and my humidifier is the middle option on the link that 6Pt shows. So far I have had no trouble with leaking. I also love the Aflex.

Mark_Ferman

Post by Mark_Ferman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:22 am

I have been using the integrated machine/humidifier for just over one year and have never had a leak or a problem, I once even dropped the machine with a full tank of water but quickly cleaned it out and dried it off and I have yet to have a problem. It is a mild pain to add water to the tank all the time, but it is just part of the routine, before I put on my fighter pilot mask and drift off to the clouds.

Needsdecaf

Post by Needsdecaf » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:05 pm

[quote="Snoredog"]very poor design, take the tank apart for cleaning as the recommend and you too will eventually realize the leaky tank.

They won't stand behind it if it ruins your night stand from water damage, they no longer include the swivel elbow that attached to the back so you can bring your hose out without having the machine a foot away from the wall.

don't waste your money on that poorly designed POS, get the F&P HC150 humidifier and you can use it with every cpap out there and won't have to buy another if you get a different machine. It's tank design is proven itself over the years.

I don't know what the drive is behind designing machines with the hose coming out the back, that is the stupidest concept found.

Problem with the M series tank design is it splits in half and the water level is above the split where the o-ring is, under CPAP pressure it blows water out when full around the locking clip. If you can get it back together in time you can probably epoxy the two halves together.

barb_z

Post by barb_z » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:32 pm

I have had my unit for 8 months with no problems... love a A-flex. When it comes to cleaning... I do not open the tank. Somewhere I read or was told that after a while the seal was weakened. I can swish soapy water, rinse or use distilled vinegar and water rinse without any problem. I always clean it with hot water. Never any leaks, and it goes in and out of the unit smoothly.

Agree that the card slot is in the wrong spot. The rest is fine as far as I am concerned. Having the hose attach in the back is perfect as it lines up with the top of my bed.
Barb

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose, clean

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose, seal, clean

bap40

Post by bap40 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:40 pm

I have not had any problems with my humidifier either, but after reading past posts on taking apart and having them leak later on, I quit doing that. Now I just refill nightly and not above the seal. Every couple of days I dump the water out and let the whole thing air dry and start over again. My thoughts are better safe than sorry.

Brooke

shippy

Post by shippy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:13 pm

I have not had any problems with mine but after reading what others have said here i stopped taking it apart some time back as the seals will start leaking. I also stopped taking apart my mask when cleaning for the same reason.

Dale