Words, words, words III

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ahujudybear

Words, words, words III

Post by ahujudybear » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:21 pm

RELICT

(obsc.) Widow

(same reference as above)

- JB

ahujudybear

Words, words, words III

Post by ahujudybear » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:24 pm

(Got a few more, but they are longer)

-- Like the meaning behind the expression "Shake a leg" . it isn't what you might think.

-- or the meaning behind the expression " Cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey". Definitely not what you might think!

- JB

BuffaloAl

Post by BuffaloAl » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:13 pm

I had thought that neversleeps was a fine heifer. Now I think she's neat!

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:40 pm

HA!! Good one BuffaloAl! I sort of expected someone might read that and pick up the cow theme again.... good thing I still have my cute cow avatar!!!

ahujudybear

Words, words, words III

Post by ahujudybear » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:11 pm

OK...

"Shake a leg"

Back in the days of sail, when a ship came in to port, those who stayed aboard but were not on watch were allowed to have women aboard ship. When it came time to change the watch, the watch would call down the rows of bunks, "Show a leg!" Whoever couldn't produce a woman's leg would have to stand the next watch.

- JB

ahujudybear

Words, words, words III

Post by ahujudybear » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:21 pm

" Cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey."

Again, back in the days of sail and man-o-war ships, cannon were arrayed on the main deck as well as below decks. In order to keep the cannonballs from rolling around they were kept on a triangular brass platform that was suspended from the deck above by three chains that were all fastened to the the same hook above. Because of it's appearance, this tray was called a "brass monkey". If the temperature would drop suddenly, the brass of the tray would shrink faster than the iron of the cannonballs and they would be squeezed off of the tray.... it was then cold enough to freeze the balls off of the brass monkeys!

now, what were YOU thinking it meant?

- JB

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:59 pm

rock and roll wrote:Linda, Linda Linda,

You are just trying to get to the magic 1000 posts!

Almost there, congrats.........I guess

Rock, Rock, Rock (roll, roll, roll?),
You're on to me. Nothing slips past you!!

Thanks,
I think

Linda

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:44 pm

rpalmer wrote: “Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.”
— Emo Phillips

Sort of takes on a whole new meaning if you imagine your mask's headgear made from leather doesn't it?

I really LOVE that one! So true about the new meaning. Seems like it should be a slogan for us, huh?

BTW -- Welcome fellow Marylander. You live in a beautiful area!

Linda

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:39 am

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.

-Mary Little

Well, in that case, I'm having a LOT of fun!

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:47 am

Linda,

Please post 6 more quotes so I can see you hit 1000. It's kind of like watching the odometer on the car flip to all 0's....... very exciting!!!

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:55 am

neversleeps wrote:Linda,

Please post 6 more quotes so I can see you hit 1000. It's kind of like watching the odometer on the car flip to all 0's....... very exciting!!!

You nut.
You prompted me to post yet another.
Posting 1000 is a dubious "honor." On the one hand it is a milepost. On the other it proves I've spent a "tad" too much time on the internet!

I'm on two discussion boards, actually, totally different topics (the other is racismonline.com). So different. Here everyone is supportive and in a kind of group hug. There, well it's a battlefield where only the strongest survive. When I want to feel like part of a friendly family, I race back to this one. This place is addicting.

Thanks.

Linda

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:01 am

You know the oxygen masks on airplanes ? I don't think there's really any oxygen. I think they're just to muffle the screams.

-Rita Rudner

Hahaha! I just found this one. Couldn't resist putting in a mask quote, even if it isn't cpap.

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:02 am

I know what you mean. It has been invaluable for information, encouragement and some good laughs!! I used to think a 'support group' was a bunch of malarky and only for those weak individuals who felt victimized and wanted a place to complain and wallow. I was an IDIOT!!!!

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:10 am

Money often costs too much.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, I was the "guest" above. Sheesh. All these posts, and I STILL haven't learned my lesson about logging on.

This internet site is so cool. I had been using it for the different words, from the A Word A Day section of this. But each word has an "x-bonus" which is a quote. There are so many of them. I've gotten addicted to that too.

http://www.wordsmith.org

Support groups. They are something many want but never go around admitting it. Belonging to a support group feels like you have some fault. If I had a support group for every fault I have, I'd never have time for a life!

Linda

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:15 am

Oh, Neversleeps (yes, this is Linda again),

You can go catch a break. I won't likely post the last magic numbers until tonite. I figure I'd save it for aournd the time of the big chat shindig.

Linda