Is anyone out there happy with their Comfort Curve?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CareS

Is anyone out there happy with their Comfort Curve?

Post by CareS » Sat May 28, 2005 9:49 am

I have just ordered a CC from Cpap.com and now am wondering if it is going to be a piece of junk. I like the thought of being able to watch TV, not wearing the straps which bother my neck. I would like to hear some positive things about this mask if their are any. I plan to use it as a secondary mask along with my Aptiva which is an exceptional mask. Looking forward I think to hearing your comments. CareS

Post by Guest » Sat May 28, 2005 10:24 am

You should take a look at all the previous posts with Comfort Curve in the title. For instance, this one:

viewtopic.php?t=3005&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=

contains links to previous comments from users.

CareS

re; Comfort Curve

Post by CareS » Mon May 30, 2005 4:55 am

Thank you for the informative reply. I am expecting this mask probably next week and will try it and give my review. I am on a lower pressure of 8 so perhaps it will work for me. Since I went on Cpap, I have been sleeping much less, go to bed around 10 p.m. and get up at 4:45 a.m. fully awake and ready to go. Previously it took hours and several cups of coffee to get myself moving. It is nice having all this extra time in the morning. CareS

unclebob

Post by unclebob » Mon May 30, 2005 11:15 am

Hi CareS,

I am also looking for a second mask and was considering Breeze & Swift pillows until CC came out. Initially there were rave reviews of this mask but since then opinions seem to be all over the map. Right now I'm in a holding mode to see further reviews after longer usage.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on the new mask as well as details of the cross border shipping you experience from CPAP.com.

Thanks

Bob F

unclebob

mommaw

Post by mommaw » Tue May 31, 2005 10:19 pm

In one word NO! IMHO, stay away from this mask. It leaks, leaks, leaks. If you lay flat on your back, hold the mask against your face and don't move, it will seal, until you take your hand away. I cannot get it to seal, period! It is cheaply made, the cheek pads will literally fall off in your hand while you are adjusting them trying to get a seal. The light weight head gear straps twist and get caught in your hair when putting it on. The elbows leak and whistle like crazy and the exhaust port blows directly on your chest. You cannot position the light weight hose over your headboard, it must be clipped to your sheet and then it will still pull on the mask. If you like sleeping with a snake in your bed, roaring and whistling and air blowing on your chest all night, then get a Comfort Curve. If you want a good nights sleep with minimum leaks then get something else.

As you can tell, I am very disappointed with the mask.
Gilda

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:10 am

Well as I said in my review, it is now the mask I wear most often. I still have not heard back regarding the leaking issue tho. I would agree that if you try to use this mask out of the package, you might have problems. But, for me, I felt that dealing with the few problems was better than the problems with other masks.

Lets face it, there is NO perfect mask. What works for me, might not work for you. Additionally, as we are still in the early stages of mask development, some modifications are going to be required in some cases. For me having a mask that stays on, doesn't leak (after a saran wrap fix), and doesn't shove anything up my nose, is a godsend. YMMV

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:02 am

Mikesus wrote: I would agree that if you try to use this mask out of the package, you might have problems.
Mike,

Other than the elbow leak fix what have you done to your CC.

I finally managed to get my hands on one and after some extensive futzing I was able to get it to fit, or so I thought. My Encore data showed I had large leaks and my AHI which is below 1 with the aura/swift/breeze/activa was 5 with the CC.

My first guess is that the problem is a lack of in-out adjustment of the nasal seal relative to the cheek pads. Removing the silicone pads maybe what I need to try, but the arms without the pads are not comfortable on my face.

It is also very curious to me that the small nasal seal seems to seal the best for me. With all my other pillow type interfaces I use a size in the large end of the range.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

DrDroopy

Post by DrDroopy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:41 am

Like Mikesus, the CC has become my mask. I have been wearing it nightly for probably about a month now and am logging about 7 - 8 hours of sleep every night. For the first time in 20 years, I fall asleep and sleep all night without waking up. I feel deeply rested. But I also had to do a bunch of adaptations, as I've indicated in past posts. I've had to install the saran wrap gaskets. I removed the silicon cheek pads and replaced them with mole skin, so the wing sits much closer to my face. I also use It Stays body adhesive to resolve the little hissy leaks. I do think it still leaks more than my previous mask and there has been a change in my AHI -- up from 1 to 2 so clearly it is not sealing as well. But for me it seals well enough and the fact that I can wear it all night with no sleeping problems seems to make this a tolerable trade until they put out a better version. Bear in mind that my AHI is 8. For me the lightweight hoses are fantastic -- they move without tugging. But as everyone says, one person's blessing is another person's curse.

th

Post by th » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:42 am

Like Mikesus this is my new mask and my wife's new mask. we have no problems for now. I can tell you though when cooler weather comes in we will both go back to our Swift and the heated hose.(THERE WILL BE A RAINOUT PROBLEM FOR US WITH THE CC) The mask feels the best to both of us with a good seal. What is funny is my father who uses the activa and has the same face and nose as mine cannot wear the CC due to leaks. I am still puzzled by that. Why do we both have the same face and nose and the CC will not work for my father? I tried over and over and could not get the mask to seal! My father watch me put the mask on and get a perfect seal almost instantly but when I gave him the mask to put on -major leaks. This is going to be like the Aura... it eithers works for you or it does not. I gave up on the aura which I could NOT get a good seal.My leaks run in the low 30's with the CC but my AHI is 1 or less. My wife leaks runs into the low 20' with her AHI running 2-3.

Brian000

Post by Brian000 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:27 am

I just received a CC about 1 1/2 hours ago and have been wrestling with it since. No way is this going to work. It's a piece of chit. Fooey on the folks at cpap.com for promoting this on their front page given all the problems folks are having.

Stay away from it. It's not worth the risk that it just might work for you.

I can get it to seal if I position it just so when I'm on my back. But, as soon as I move it begins to leak. No way could you use this if you sleep on your side or chest.

I'm really disappointed (and bummed to have wasted the $$)

Brian.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:05 pm

But to be fair, Brian000, perhaps you should say, "No way I could use this thing if I sleep on my side or chest" rather than saying "you." After all, I sleep with the CC on both my back and rolling onto both sides. I don't ever sleep on my chest, so can't comment on that.

AllShookUp

Post by AllShookUp » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:42 pm

I love my CC and sleep with no problems or discomfort from the mask. At first I was disappointed and thought I too had wasted my bucks, but after modification it has become a favorite. I am a side sleeper. Undetected leaks caused a lot of problems for me. After applying just the right amount of plumbers tape on the elbows (my saran wrap did not hold up too well) I don't hear any wind noise and the seal is tight enough to allow lots of movement. Love that lightweight hose too.

Texas Expert in Sleep Wrestling

AllShookUp

Post by AllShookUp » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:45 pm

th wrote:Like Mikesus this is my new mask and my wife's new mask. we have no problems for now. I can tell you though when cooler weather comes in we will both go back to our Swift and the heated hose.(THERE WILL BE A RAINOUT PROBLEM FOR US WITH THE CC)
th
What indicates that you will have this problem?

Texas Expert in Sleep Wrestling

IWannaSleep

Post by IWannaSleep » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:09 am

Brian000 wrote:I just received a CC about 1 1/2 hours ago and have been wrestling with it since. No way is this going to work. ...

There isn't any part of CPAP therapy or dealing with sleep apnea that I could come to any conclusion about in only 1 1/2 hours. It takes time and patience to work out all these things. Give it a fair try for a couple days and then report back your results.

And even then, because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it wont be ideal for someone else.

Ron

9 cm h2o

th

Post by th » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:55 pm

AllShookUp wrote:
th wrote:Like Mikesus this is my new mask and my wife's new mask. we have no problems for now. I can tell you though when cooler weather comes in we will both go back to our Swift and the heated hose.(THERE WILL BE A RAINOUT PROBLEM FOR US WITH THE CC)
th
What indicates that you will have this problem?