Still smelling hotel room

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Still smelling hotel room

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:32 pm

Is there a good way to get rid of the scent of a cheap hotel room from my CPAP? I washed the hose and mask and headgear but I can still smell it.

The unit is a Remstar C-flex and the mask is a Resmed nasal pillow.

Needsdecaf

Post by Needsdecaf » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Change out the filter on the back of your machine.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:37 pm

Needsdecaf wrote:Change out the filter on the back of your machine.
Thank you for your reply. My fault for not mentioning that I also did that.

I'm afraid to use any chemicals/scents etc on anything and I haven't done anything else inside the unit itself - is there something in there that I could clean?

johnnygoodman

Post by johnnygoodman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Howdy,

Many CPAPtalkers "get the smell out" with Pur-Sleep Aromatherapy products. Here is more information and many unbiased user reviews:

https://www.cpap.com/productSearch.php?query=pur-sleep

Johnny

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:21 pm

johnnygoodman wrote:Howdy,

Many CPAPtalkers "get the smell out" with Pur-Sleep Aromatherapy products. Here is more information and many unbiased user reviews:
I suppose that could help cover up the smell, I was thinking more along the lines of something to get rid of it.

Warbird

It will go away.

Post by Warbird » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:41 pm

The smell should go away on it own. Think about it, you have the smell because of the odor of the hotel being pulled through your CPAP. Try Johnny's recommendation of Pur-Sleep to make you not notice it until it clears up -or- just wait until it goes away.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Or even better yet, use PurSleep at home and on the road--and you might actually get some sleep in that cheap hotel room. Here's a nice thread on topic:

viewtopic.php?t=28220&highlight=road+warrior

(Disclosure: I am the person behind the PurSleep products.)
Try the Scented CPAP Mask with Pur-Sleep's CPAP Aromatherapy--CPAP Diffuser and Essential Oils.
"Love it, Love it, Love my PurSleep!"

TR

Post by TR » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:53 pm

the smell is residue from the mfg of pastics.....will go away in about a week.......
If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have luck at all!

bearcatx16

Post by bearcatx16 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:09 pm

What johnnygoodman and SleepGuy said for the motel room. I use the original in line diffuser and when I travel I use the inline diffuse plus the new pad diffuser at the air intake. That way the air is freshened 2 times before it get to me. Puraire is on it's way and I'll use it when traveling by car and when I fly I'll figure out how to pack some more 1oz bottles.

Blessings

Fred

In the game of Life there is no two minute warning, just sudden death then judgment............Paraphrase Heb. 9:27 NIV
Not sure you believe in God.....just don't die.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:28 pm

Yeah, I know this is just crazy us all jumping on the bandwagon... But the PurSleep DOES HELP keep the nasty weird odors from swamping your machine when you're travelling. I take it with me every time.

AND... I've noticed two things - 1) the scent lingers in my mask, and when I pick up the mask the next night, I can smell it faintly (very nice), and 2) the smell actually permeates my house. When I walk in at the end of the day, I can smell it. Again, it's very faint, and I don't notice it within a minute, but it's nice. And yes, I mean the Pur-Sleep, not the Puraira.

As for air travel and Puraira, I didn't want to risk it, so I picked up some organic essential oil candles to burn. Turned out the hotel room was okay, so I didn't end up using them. You might try that, if you don't wanna pack the Puraira for air travel. I'm sure TSA frowns on Lamp Oil.

Or mail it ahead.

LOL,
Babs - PurSleep Devotee - pur-sleep.com

brandyII

Post by brandyII » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:05 pm

OMG,

I didn't every I cook something with a strong odor as soon as I go to bed at night I have that smell in my mask for a while but it goes away. I guess I'd rather smell pot roast than a stinky hotel room brandyII

brandyII

Post by brandyII » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Sorry, I meant every time I cook.......brandyII

Beulah

Post by Beulah » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:10 pm

One of the things I love the most about going to bed at night was always snuggling down into sheets smelling of Downey fabric softener (in addition to my fat feather bed and six inches of blankets). I didn't want to do without that putting a mask on. I put a Downey dryer sheet behind my machine right by the intake filter and change it every few days. The smell gets sucked into the machine and on to me and I still get my Downey. That might knock that cheap motel right out of your machine too.

Paula

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:43 pm

Pur-Sleep -- Don't leave home without it!!!!!!!!

I take at least one scent and a diffuser pad or two with me every time I travel anywhere!!!
Use it nightly at home as well.....

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:44 pm

HA
Ive got a better story

Came back from 8 days in Poland of all places
It was very very cold and snowy there
I was in a different hotel almost every night
The first night, I knew i was in trouble:
Poland being very wooded -most all homes heat with wood burners
in the evening especially, whole towns and cities air is thick with chimneys spewing smoke and the smell of burning wood which permeates the interior of almost all dwellings (like many places years ago)
Well the cpap absorbed the burnt wood smell
Returning home I was reminded of the wood fires when donning my mask
every night
Took about a week and a half of use and changing filter for the odor to fade away
By the way travellers one of the the important accessories to take along
is an extension cord (with propper plugs)
Also I was loaded with hand luggage - took a chance and placed the machine inside my suitcase in its case and carry bag padded with clothes
for flights and daily bus trips - did not have any problems - lucky I guess