Wearing my Jakstrap on my head

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LyleHaze

Wearing my Jakstrap on my head

Post by LyleHaze » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:37 am

OK, I thought that subject line might get a laugh..

I have been using a headrest/twilight/aura for about six months,
and I have finally decided to make my own headgear.

I've read all the posts that were kindly organized by RG, but I did mine just a bit differently. I simply slid the frame out of the Box, but I didn't cut the legs off of it. (sorry, no pictures) I'm a bit nervous about cutting up my favorite CPAP mask.

Anyway, I went looking for a headstrap that does not involve wearing pantyhose on my head. (I gave that up years ago). At the local sporting goods/outdoors supplier I found the "Jakstrap". It's velcro adjustable, a bit stretchy, and even has a velcro loop sewn on the side that might be useful as a hose holder. It only cost about six bucks, and so far is working great.

I used a stitch-puller to remove the extra velcro loops, as I don't need them. They are also available in many colors.

So.. If anyone is trying to make their own headgear, make sure to google "Jakstrap" and see if that might help you, too.

Compared to the prices we pay to DME's, this is a real bargain!

Jakstrap manufacturers link

Check the bottom of the page to look up local stores too!

Sleep Well,
Lyle

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): cpap mask, hose, DME

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:53 am

Can I get this at Big 5? Do I need to know my size? Will the teenage boy waiting on me giggle and blush when I ask him for one?

I think - in the interest of equality of the sexes - I'll be rushing out to try this idea.

Thanks Lyle!
Babs

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:08 am

DANG IT! This isn't a JOCKSTRAP afterall!!! Now what's the fun of that???

LOL,
Babs

gulfpearl

Post by gulfpearl » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:26 am

I'm with you Babs when I first glanced at the title I saw it as jock strap. I wondered what type of head could fit into a jockstrap.I giess it's all in the mind how we first see the written word.

LyleHaze

Post by LyleHaze » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:27 pm

@gulfpearl
Well, I did say that the spare bit of velcro could be used to hold your hose..

All joking aside, it's turning out to be a nice strap. It's just wide enough, and just strong enough, to do the job well.

Sleep Well,
Lyle