Holding breath?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Claire

Holding breath?

Post by Claire » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:28 am

After being diagnosed with OSA last year, I was telling my daughter (age 38)that before CPAP treatment, I sometimes found myself holding my breath before I went to sleep or when I awoke in the morning.

She said that she too holds her breath but never gave it much thought. She has not had any sleep studies although she and her dr. are starting to consider it as she is often very tired.

Has anyone else had the experience of holding their breath this way before they were diagnosed and treated?

ksp

Post by ksp » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:14 pm

You know, I never thought of it before either but actually the same thing happens to me. It's like I have to remind myself to take a breath. For me, I can't say I am overlly tired all the time, unless I am just so used to it I can't tell the difference. The reason I went to a sleep guy is b/c my cardiologist referred me since I am having heart issues and they thought lack of oxygen at night might be a cause. What you said makes sense then.

NeedinZs

Post by NeedinZs » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Yes, also shallow breathing, day and night.

I, too, have wondered if there is a connection.
I sometimes find myself asking myself, when is the last time I actually took a breath!

I'd say don't put off that sleep study!

NightHawkeye

Re: Holding breath?

Post by NightHawkeye » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Claire wrote:After being diagnosed with OSA last year, I was telling my daughter (age 38)that before CPAP treatment, I sometimes found myself holding my breath before I went to sleep or when I awoke in the morning.
Yeah, it's been reported here by knowledgeable folks as being common when falling asleep and is not necessarily apnea related.

Regards,
Bill

HelpMeBreath

Post by HelpMeBreath » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:31 pm

Well youre on to something because I am going through the same thing. I hold my breath when I do anything, and I take shallow breaths. I am trying to re-condition myself.

RAINSUX

Post by RAINSUX » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:53 pm

If you hold your breath at night while rolling over or something, does this show up as an apnea? I'm pretty sure I do this.

Sam
CPAP therapy is so easy you can do it in your sleep!

ZZZzzz

Post by ZZZzzz » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Could you do it during the day and you're possibly too busy to notice?

I did this much more before CPAP treatment.
Shallow breathing, non breathing. The last thing you need is to deprive yourself of oxygen during the day, too! # : (

A guy with Apnea at work did the same thing and his Dr. told him: "You do that all day because you do it all night."

Made just as much sense to me.

-Bev

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regrets; for I am far surer of what is kind, than I am of what is true.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:39 am

"Sleep onset centrals" are normal:

viewtopic.php?t=18117
page 2, from a post by StillAnotherGuest:

Assuming that the obstructive events are properly managed, then the likelihood of these being sleep-onset centrals is fairly high (you'd need PSG to be 100%) and those things are pretty much a normal event.

And, holding one's breath occasionally is normal, when asleep or awake:

viewtopic.php?t=2051&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

christinequilts wrote:
"THink about when you exercise or concentrate hard- if your not aware you can hold your breath which is essentionally central apnea. Turning over in your sleep is basically like an exercise- you go from doing nothing to moving. If you were to have your breathing monitored while you are awake you would see a lot of 'central' events."

viewtopic.php?t=1056

christinequilts (accidentally "guested") wrote:

"Most people- even those without sleep disorders- have a few central apneas while sleeping. A common cause is when you roll over...have you ever noticed when you're exercising or lifting something heavy that you hold breath unless you actually think about your breathing? The same thing can happen at night as you toss and turn. THere are other things that cause centrals too- there is a certain amount of variance in our breathing patterns when we sleep just like there is when we're awake."
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435