Swift Nasal Pillows HURTS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozij

Post by ozij » Sat May 21, 2005 6:37 am

OK, you 20/20 wise guys - it's like when you used to switch from sneakers to sandals, and you got blisters on you feet where the sandal straps rubbed.
(or are you too young to have ever worn sandals?)

Tom - I too found the swift painful and bothersome when lying on my side. I'm doing much much better with the breeze.

And a tip for beginners (but do ask your doctor or RT first:) If the worst comes to the worst, and you really can't take it any more, take 2-3 nights' break to let you nose heal. But make sure you know the severity of you apnea before you take that break. My apnea isn't life threatening, theRT ever suggested 2-3 nights (I had been thinking of one night) a break and the break did wonders for my nose.

LITTLEBIT: DO NOT GIVE UP, it takes time an patience, and is annoying and all you want to do is throw the stupid thing away - but in the end it's worth it. I know - because I wanted to throw away the mask about 3 months ago, and had to take a break from the breeze after a week about 2 months ago -

O. 7.5 diopter right eye, 5.75 left eye, shortsighted for 40 years+ , who still gets painful ears and bridge of the nose when she changes frames.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Tampa Tom

Post by Tampa Tom » Mon May 23, 2005 7:23 am

OK, success....

1) I used AYR gel on the inside of my nose - helped lubricate where the Swift made contact.

2) I switched from the Large to the Medium nasal pillows. Much better - in fact, most of the pain is gone.

3) I loosened up the straps until they were just about ready to flop off of me, and the 'pushing up' pain is gone.

How well did these corrections work? Well, here's how my days have gone:

Wed nite: Took the silly thing off before midnight - slept without

Thu nite: Made it until about 4 a.m. - very bad pain.

Fri Nite: Switched to medium pillows and used KY on the nose. Much better, but, my wife had - errr - accidentally turned my humidifier off. That was bad - REALLY bad.... Gag Gag Gag all night.

Sat Nite: Used AYR gel for the first time. And used the humidifier! Slept until about 6 a.m.

Sun Nite: Went to bed at 9 p.m. - Got up at 6 a.m. - Forgot I had the silly thing on! Now, that's what I call getting used to the Swift!
Take off you hoseheads!
---- Bob McKenzie (Strange Brew - 1983)

Remstar Auto with CFlex (5 - 15)
Swift Mask with Medium Nasal Pillows

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Mon May 23, 2005 10:23 am

Hi!

I'm a relatively new user here. I tried the nasal pillows for about a week or more but they kept mashing one side of my nose. The therapist then pointed out that because of partial facial paralysis (from polio) one side of my nose is a bit lower than the other ..AND it doesn't have the same muscle tension, hence the "mashing" . Man! I just turned 60 and never even knew that! So now I am using a Fischer-Paykel nose mask and really like it much better!
- JB

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon May 23, 2005 11:32 pm

Welcome to the message board Judy. Now that you've described the difference in your two nostrils, I can see that nasal pillows could be a bit more problem for you. Glad you've found a nasal mask that suits you better.

Hope your treatment is going well. I turned 60 back in Dec. Still don't feel my age, and can't quite believe I have just a few more years before going on Medicare! LOL!!

sleeping like a log

Re: SOME ONE HELP PLEASE

Post by sleeping like a log » Tue May 24, 2005 1:58 pm

LITTLEBIT wrote:HOW DO YOU KEEP THE HEAD GEAR ON FOR THE NOSE PILLOWS I STARTED THIS CPAP GAME ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO AND I AM TO THE POINT WHERE THEY NEED TO COME GET IT OR I AM GOING TO THROW IT ON THE INTERSTATE BECAUSE I CAN'T KEEP IT ON THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT OR MY NOSE HURTS SO BAD I DON'T WANT IT ON. SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE
Don't give up on it. Have been using cpap for over 15 yrs. I found the pillows to be the best for me. Now that I am retired I grew a beard. The pillows are a must. The head gear is the biggest problem. If you can find a good feeling gear the pillows will not be a problem. Try just wearing the cpap when you are awake. Reading, watching tv, reading, anything to keep your mind off the mask. Law and Order is the one I like to forget about things. Soon you will forget it is on. Ky gel is also great to seal the pillows.
Let me know how it goes.

ahujudybear

Nasal pillows HURTS

Post by ahujudybear » Tue May 24, 2005 5:10 pm

Hi Little Bit...

My RT worked with me with the pillows for over an hour until we had a pretty good fit. I was using the Swift "mask". it was pretty OK while I was sitting up, but uncomfortable while lying down. It was the first thing I had tried and i didn't notice how noisy it was until I tried this nasal mask (Fischer-Paykel's "FlexiFit HC405"). This is like SILENT compared to the pillows.

If you aren't happy, have your RT come and try something else.

Good luck with it. (BTW, I did that with the second bi-pap we tried. I don't know the brand, but after 10 minutes I pulled the headgear off and threw it! Well, it was still attached to the hose so it only went as far as my pillow <LOL>. But the next day the RT replaced the machine with the GoodKnight and I fell in love!!! <LOL>)

Good Luck with whatever you decide on!

- JB