General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sharon1965

Re: g

Post by sharon1965 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:25 am

RickinNH wrote:Only 3 days...you went through far less agravation than myself. I finaly got the right machine but they took weeks to do the right thing.
HA!! it took NINE MONTHS for my dme to give in and give me what i wanted

good for you guys, way to go!!

and fehler,
i just assumed he/she had changed the equipment profile after getting the new one...

sparky2

Post by sparky2 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:32 am

Good for you, gdoc89.

I wanted the M series auto and told my doc that I really wanted A-Flex after cruising the web. He conferred with the RT for the DME in the next office (how can they get away with that?) and there was some discussion about what A-Flex is all about and how prevalent it was. When he asked about cost, the RT said that she was not sure. I mentioned that I could get it on the Internet for much less than the machine that they were proposing, but said that I would prefer to get it locally. I said this with a straight face as though I didn't realize that they were hoping to make a bunch of money off of me and my insurance company.

When I looked at the doc, he finally said that he would give me a prescription for it so I could look for the machine I wanted. The RT then said that she thought that the machine was nearly the same price as the one they were planning to give me. They later said that, because the A-Flex came with a smart card, that It would cost $100 more. I said, "Fine."

It also seemed to me that if I had not said anything they were just going to sell me an old loaner. I am not sure of this, but that was the impression I got. I also got the impression that they did not want to give me the other machine because they would have to buy it and give me a new one and could not mark it up as much because their cost was similar to their cost for the other machine.

The hole thing was mysterious to me. I was not sure of the relationship between the doc and the DME and the DME and me and not sure who was looking out for my best interest.

As I look back on the situation, I was the only one in that room that had my best interests at heart. The only other people that were ever on my side were the dozens here who gave me and those like me good advice. It seems that their only motive was to be helpful and make sure that I didn't get pushed around by the system. Than God for all of you - I don't feel as though I am going through this alone anymore.

Sparky2

Capri

Post by Capri » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:46 am

It also seemed to me that if I had not said anything they were just going to sell me an old loaner. I am not sure of this, but that was the impression I got. I also got the impression that they did not want to give me the other machine because they would have to buy it and give me a new one and could not mark it up as much because their cost was similar to their cost for the other machine.
My local DME dealer gave me a "new" rental machine - I got it home and discovered it absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke and had my than 300 hours showing on the display. After fuming for a few hours, I responded the way you did - I went back to the DME, told them I didn't want it and would be happy to look elsewhere. That's when I got the Elite machine and some assistance. Had I done the research, I might have gotten a Respironics product instead as it seems to do more for the money. Are are DME dealers ALL crooks?

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): DME

Last edited by Capri on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:00 am

Lets put it the this way:

The majority of people who meet the good docs and good DMEs don't end up on this forum. They probably don't even search for it.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:27 am

Capri wrote:
My local DME dealer gave me a "new machine" - I got it home and discovered it absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke and had my than 300 hours showing on the display. I responded the way you did - I went back to the DME, told them I didn't want it and would be happy to look elsewhere. That's when I got the Elite machine and some assistance. Are they ALL crooks?

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:51 am

ozij wrote:Lets put it the this way:

The majority of people who meet the good docs and good DMEs don't end up on this forum. They probably don't even search for it.

O.
I have a slightly different take on it. MOST of the users just accept what they're given and don't question anything. After all, their doctors and DMEs wouldn't screw them......WOULD THEY? And, they surely wouldn't prescribe them the wrong pressure or give them the wrong mask. I mean, if you and your insurance provider are paying a local DME 2 - 3 times what you can buy the same stuff for, from an online supplier, it's gotta be "better".....RIGHT? And, the local DME will naturally give the users ALL the training and information they'll ever need...... And, when it comes time for replacement filters, hoses, masks and "what-not", the prices will be the best and it'll all arrive in a timely manner.

Most people put more research into their "toys" (digital cameras/DVE players/cell phones to name a few) than life-improving equipment.

Consequently, when their therapy doesn't seem to be working (weeks/months later) and they haven't given up.......THAT'S when they start doing research on the Internet......and find out what they should have known BEFORE going into this.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05