DME in Fort Worth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Craig-Tx

DME in Fort Worth

Post by Craig-Tx » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm looking for a new DME provider in the Fort Worth area.

I've heard of Accurate Medical Supply and Monitor Medical.

Any opinions on either of these? Or suggestions for a different DME?

If you're not comfortable voicing opinions publicly, please send me a private message.

Thanks,
Craig

Additional Comments: Started PAP on 1/16/07. - Typical 90% pressure ~ 10 cm H20

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:24 pm

Health Management Services is a DME located in North Dallas. We also service the Fort Worth area. We have over 19 years treating patients for obstructive sleep apnea. I'm sure you would be pleased with our selection of products and services. If you are interested in working with us, contact me at shari@hmssleep.com.

Phurious

Post by Phurious » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:00 pm

I am from the Dallas area, and whatever you do stay away from STAT Medical; hearing their name gives me hives. I went through STAT for my BiPAP originally, but after a situation almost came to a legal head, I would never do business with them again. I ended up buying my second round of equipment from cpap.com and could not be happier. Everything I have ordered I have received from them in typically 1-2 days. I now buy all my supplies from them.

coldnose

Post by coldnose » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Craig,

Accurate in Fort Worth is my DME (insurance chosen). Accurate is neither great nor horrible as many on this forum have experienced. Better than most that have been written about.

Good things:
- No problem getting the machine of choice even though it was different from what my Dr had on the prescription. He prescribed a Resmed and I wanted the RemStar, I got the RemStar, no problem.
- No problems on getting the mask of my choosing, they seem to have most.
- No great problems ording supplies, have had to call twice on a couple of occasions, but if you say it is an emergency they will either deliver it personally or express mail it.
- The RT is fairly knowledgable and friendly, but always seems to be in a hurry.
- At one month, 3 months and about 5 months someone called to check on me and took a supply request, but haven't heard from them since.
- I thought I had a problem with my machine (seemed the auto altitude adjustment was haywire) so I called and took my machine in the next day. The RT pressure checked the machine and we let it run for a while, all was okay and he still offered to replace the machine, no problem.

Bad things:
- Even with an appointment you will have to wait, I've never seen the RT on time
- RT is always in a hurry
- One must call for supplies, they won't just send you standard items (like filters) automatically. (There is a DME in Weatherford that will automaticly sent 3 months worth of supplies every 3 months).
- Billing can be an issue, my insurance pays 100% of my DME costs for the standard Medicare support list, but I still occasionally get bills. When I called about the bill, they said they would fix it, but months later I recieved a second one. Called again and it was finally cleared. No nasty-grams, all straight forward. Last week I recieved another bill for supplies I recieved over 4 months ago, I'm ignoring it for now to see what will happen.
- When I wanted a new mask, I HAD to go in for a fitting, even though I knew exactly what I wanted. Also since it was on insurance, the RT only gave me the size pillows that fit me, rather than the whole package as if your were to buy it from cpap.com. I watched him open the package, we did a fit check, then he took out what "I didn't need" and then handed me the package less the removed items.
- As with all DMEs, what they charge my insurance is outragious, I wouldn't be able to afford my supplies without insurance.
- When you try on masks, there is no place to lay down with a pillow to see how the mask is when your in bed. The RT office ("treatment room" as they call it) is very small.

All in all, not too bad, but not as good as it could be. These are my experiences, yours could vary.

I hope this helps, sleep well!

---gary

2+2 = 5 for large values of 2....

Craig-Tx

Re: DME in Fort Worth

Post by Craig-Tx » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:41 pm

ARGH... Here I go again.

Well, I ended up going with Landmark Healthcare in Fort Worth. Over-all they were decent. But I recently discussed getting an APAP with my doctor. They sent over the order to Landmark. After a couple of weeks of NO status, I called them about it. They told me that they don't do the Auto Titrating CPAPs because they are "not profitable enough." I know that they charge my insurance WELL more than they would pay. They just wouldn't get the profit level that they would with a basic CPAP. So because of their stupid business practice, they are also not getting the profit from Masks, filters, hoses, and all the other stuff they over charge my insurance for. ($8 for a small piece of foam...)

So here I go again looking for another DME provider. At least I'm no longer with Apria.
I plan on trying Mid-Cities Home Medical this time. Wish me luck.

-craig

txnative

Post by txnative » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:00 pm

I've used Monitor Medical, but not in Ft Worth.
After my experience with Monitor Medical, I would not use them again, no matter what town they were in.
Missed appts, being lied to about coverage, over charging. Misleading info about Masks, CPAPs, etc.

I ended up going online to get my APAP and supplies. Thank goodness my Ins pays my online costs 100%.

Began CPAP on Jul 22, 2008. Split Night Study failed to get a good titration pressure. Titrated (2 week home APAP) at 10. Currently using APAP at 13-15. Not using Humidifier. Even with SA under control, still can't sleep all night!

Craig-Tx

Post by Craig-Tx » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:54 am

txnative wrote: Thank goodness my Ins pays my online costs 100%.
I have to say your insurance is awesome! I asked my insurance company if I could buy online and get reimbursed, they said NO. I do plan on asking again. I picked up an M-series APAP w/ heated humidifier yesterday. They said my insurance will only do rentals (rent-to-own) and not straight purchases on new equipment. (I'll be checking that also today.) They are billing my insurance $775 PER MONTH for 10 months for this unit. I couldn't believe it. $7,750 total for a unit that has an advertise price of $1019 on cpap.com. (And yes, I do know what price they actually sell it for.)

Ok, I do understand this is the "billed amount" not the "agreed amount" from my insurance. But COME ON! You want to know what's wrong with health-care in this country, here is the problem! Yeah, my insurance pays 100% (I'm grateful of that), but that just means that they spread 100% of that cost to all the policy holders. I plan on talking to them today to see if I can return the rental and purchase for MUCH less.

-craig

txnative

Post by txnative » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:29 am

Craig-Tx wrote:I have to say your insurance is awesome! I asked my insurance company if I could buy online and get reimbursed, they said NO.
-craig
Most INS consider online purchases as "out of network". In my case, my INS coverage does not distinguish between "in network" and "out of network". I can go anywhere I want and it is covered. When I discussed the problems I had with Monitor Medical with my INS company and told them I was going online for purchase, the CS agent said that it would save the INS company $$ and he wished more people could do that. Great INS!

For most people, it is cheaper for them to go to their local DME since it is "in network".
Also, What the DME bills and what the INS pays are two different things.

Another reason that the INS wants people to go local is the high level of "non compliance" with CPAP. That is why they go "rent to own" and have the DME check compliance. If the user is successful over several months, then they buy the unit and you own it.

Good Luck.

Began CPAP on Jul 22, 2008. Split Night Study failed to get a good titration pressure. Titrated (2 week home APAP) at 10. Currently using APAP at 13-15. Not using Humidifier. Even with SA under control, still can't sleep all night!

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:39 am

txnative wrote:
Craig-Tx wrote:I have to say your insurance is awesome! I asked my insurance company if I could buy online and get reimbursed, they said NO.
-craig
Most INS consider online purchases as "out of network". In my case, my INS coverage does not distinguish between "in network" and "out of network". I can go anywhere I want and it is covered. When I discussed the problems I had with Monitor Medical with my INS company and told them I was going online for purchase, the CS agent said that it would save the INS company $$ and he wished more people could do that. Great INS!

For most people, it is cheaper for them to go to their local DME since it is "in network".
Also, What the DME bills and what the INS pays are two different things.

Another reason that the INS wants people to go local is the high level of "non compliance" with CPAP. That is why they go "rent to own" and have the DME check compliance. If the user is successful over several months, then they buy the unit and you own it.

Good Luck.
Similar experience here. Since I (as a group policy member) was considered "in-network", my insurance provider reimbursed me (80%) for my online purchases after I billed them. No mention of "compliance".....I guess they figured that I was going to be serious about this therapy since I got a data-capable CPAP, the humidifier (which wasn't on the Rx, nor was the mask) and the software to monitor my therapy. I tried to convince them to reimburse me for the software, but after a couple of appeals, I gave up on that. We (collectively) still saved lots of money going the "online" route.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ReginaJ

Post by ReginaJ » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:42 pm

Craig-Tx wrote:I'm looking for a new DME provider in the Fort Worth area.

I've heard of Accurate Medical Supply and Monitor Medical.

Any opinions on either of these? Or suggestions for a different DME?

If you're not comfortable voicing opinions publicly, please send me a private message.

Thanks,
Craig
Craig, I don't know if it is too late to help you or not, but I use Praxair. They are located in the mid cites area, I believe. My Dr faxed over the order for my machine and it was delivered to me later that night. By later that night, I mean that the tech showed up at my house at around 11pm that night with my machine. They called me ahead of time to apologize for the late delivery, but that my Dr had said he wanted me to have it before I went to bed that night and they were going to do their dead level best to get it to me before I went to bed. I thought it was sweet. I have not had any problems with them. They have always responded to phone calls and they were really great about replacing a mask that ripped in under the 30 days. They ship me my masks now via UPS, but if I prefered they would send a tech out with it each time. I can get you the phone number if you want it, or if anyone else wants it. I have had a really great experience with them.

Hope this helps!

Craig-Tx

Post by Craig-Tx » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. It is a bit late now... But so far my experience with my new DME isn't looking promising. They actually argued with me that C-Flex and A-Flex meant the same thing. That there weren't two different units. I told them they were wrong, and after a few min, they finally conceded to contact their Respironics REP. A few hours later, a different person called me to let me know the right machine should be there tomorrow.

1. Learn your products.
2. If you don't know your products, don't argue as if you did.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

ReginaJ

Post by ReginaJ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Craig-Tx wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. It is a bit late now... But so far my experience with my new DME isn't looking promising. They actually argued with me that C-Flex and A-Flex meant the same thing. That there weren't two different units. I told them they were wrong, and after a few min, they finally conceded to contact their Respironics REP. A few hours later, a different person called me to let me know the right machine should be there tomorrow.

1. Learn your products.
2. If you don't know your products, don't argue as if you did.

Thanks again for the recommendation.
Oh wow. Well if you need the number for Praxair, it is 9/660-7900. Honestly, I had no idea just how good I had it until I started reading some of the horror stories about DME's online! (Oh, and they are in Arlington, but they service the whole metroplex.)

Craig-Tx

Post by Craig-Tx » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:50 pm

Well, I wanted to post a follow-up.

As you can see in my profile, I now FINALLY have my new M-Series Auto with A-FLEX!
Of course the Dr prescribed a range of ... surprise .. 4 - 20! When I talked to them about it on Monday about changing it (I've already been busted for changing my pressure without talking to them first), they transfered me to the clinic department. They argued that I shouldn't change it. The machine will give me the pressure I *need*. I clarified that it will START at 4 cm H2O, which is difficult to breath. He didn't get it.

He also said they didn't want to limit the upper end, because if I need a higher pressure, it should be able to give it. I told him that I didn't want to go that high because I've never been titrated above 14 cm. I don't want my CPAP pumping me way up and causing centrals. He finally said he will have to talk it over with (somebody I am assuming knows more than him) and will get back with me.

Whatever. I changed it to 7-14 to see where my 90% falls. I might tighten it down later after viewing the data. I did talk to them before changing it, so they can't gripe at me for not getting back to me.

BTW: anyone recommend a good sleep dr in the Fort Worth area?

coldnose

Post by coldnose » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:40 pm

Follow-up on Accurate in Fort Worth. I'm still with them after about 20 months and what I said back in February still stands. After all the horror stories I feel somewhat luck with the few problems I've had. One area of improvement is the speed which I now get supplies. If I call in the morning, I normally get my supplies the next day, if I call in the afternoon it is the day after. I did have on case where I ordered and did not receive my order promptly, I called, the RT had failed to send the order to the warehouse. Had my order the next day after calling. Now when it is time for a new mask, and ask for my standard Swift II, I get it immediately without having to go for a fitting.

On a scale of 1 to 10 Accurate is about a 7.5 to an 8.

Sorry, I can't recommend a doctor in the area. The one I had was just okay in my opinion, there have to be others that are better. Though I must say, he was happy to prescribe an auto when I asked and was spot on my pressure range.

Good Luck and sleep well,

---gary

2+2 = 5 for large values of 2....

ReginaJ

Post by ReginaJ » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:35 pm

Which part of Ft Worth are you in? Is it worth it for you to come to Dallas? My Dr is at Baylor in downtown Dallas. If you want his info I would be happy to give it to you, but I didn't know if it would be worth it for you to come that far. I have been VERY happy with the care I have gotten from him, and he is really good about returning phone calls. He got me my machine delivered the same night he prescribed it.