cpap machine and gas

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chriml

cpap machine and gas

Post by chriml » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:25 pm

Does using a cpap ,machine cause people to have alot of gas? I have been using a machine for a year now and I have been having terrible gas.

tuna

Re: cpap machine and gas

Post by tuna » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:48 pm

[quote="chriml"]Does using a cpap ,machine cause people to have alot of gas? I have been using a machine for a year now and I have been having terrible gas.

Don't eat so many beans!

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

ZZZzzz

new term

Post by ZZZzzz » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:30 pm

We special people deserve a new word to describe our affliction. # : )

How about: CPAPulence

-Bev
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regrets; for I am far surer of what is kind, than I am of what is true.

track

Post by track » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:42 pm

set your alarm every hour...then sit up on the side of your bed for a few minutes and belch out the air. This way you can release it through your mouth before it gets in your GI tract and comes out the other end. You will be doing everyone around you a big favor.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:50 am

If you know what your ideal pressure should be, and how to reset your machine, have you tried lowering the pressure just even by 1-2 numbers to see if that helps (it apparently does on occasion)?

kennethryan

Re: cpap machine and gas

Post by kennethryan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:31 pm

chriml wrote:Does using a cpap ,machine cause people to have alot of gas? I have been using a machine for a year now and I have been having terrible gas.
It sure has that unfortunate effect on me ... verified by the nights I get overly frustrated with mask leaks and toss the whole thing aside - no gas at all then...

My wife has learned to steer clear until I've been up for a half hour or so!

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:28 pm

If I only had gas for an hour or so in the morning I could live with it. I have loud gun-fire sounding gas all day and all night long. It wakes me up. It fires as I'm walking down the hall at work, as I sit at my desk, as I lean over to train someone on the computer. It's horrible, embarrasing and demoralizing. I don't want to be known as the stinky lady. Someone has got to figure out how to stop this. The air goes straight through me! And under pressure! I cannot squeeze my cheeks tight enough to slow it down or deaden the sound. I've been to an ENT and found out that I have silent GERD. The lower esophagael sphincter does not close properly. guess that will account for the air going into the stomach, but if only it would stop there. And yes, I do sit up in the night and belch to empty out my stomach. I've had an endoscopy and found out I have gastritis. Prilosec twice a day is not helping. I've raised the head of my bed 4 inches. No help. I bought a 12 inch high bed wedge. Now I'm practically sitting up to sleep. Still no help. I've lowered my pressure. nothing. During the endoscopy they found that my stomach is not emptying properly. Tomorrow I go in for a "gastric emptying scan" where I swallow radio active food and they watch to see how long it takes to go through my stomach. Well, no wonder the food can't empty out. It has to move over to let all the air blow through! When the grandchildren are over I can blame it on the baby. I used to have an assistant at work who slept with her dogs and always smelled bad. She passed away during the Christmas holidays. Now I can't blame the smell on her any more. I work in a law office and I'm afraid to be in a room with clients.

Somebody figure out a way to HELP me!!!

Bev (this is one of those times I wish I didn't have my picture and City on my profile)

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:01 pm

There is a variety of Diavol (or possibly Maalox?) that also addresses gas problems. Have you tried it? I don't suggest it as a permanent answer and do think you need to follow through with your MDs, but I wonder if until you get a better answer, a little swig before bed might help?

jomac30

Post by jomac30 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:15 pm

That's your photo? You are a young grandma!!!!

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:04 am

I've tried Gas-X. It didn't help. It's not what I eat that is causing the gas, it's the cpap pressure. If I tape my mouth shut the air has nowhere to go but down. My stomach stays bloated and gurgles all day.

Thanks, jomac30. My oldest grandchild is 9. That's number 2 in the picture.

Regie

Wine?

Post by Regie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:44 am

OutaSync wrote:I've tried Gas-X. It didn't help. It's not what I eat that is causing the gas, it's the cpap pressure.
It sounds like my suggestion will be worthless but I had an attack of gas once that nothing did any good until I swallowed 2 or 3 or maybe 4 ounces of red wine. You might be like me - need to eat less and not eat for several hours before time to hit the hay.

Regie

mch441

Post by mch441 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:56 am

wow im glad im not the only one with this problem im thoroughly disguted and embarassed by it and really have no idea what i can do to try to get around it

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:06 pm

Anybody else with high pressure had gas every single day since they were on CPAP? I thought that going to APAP would help, but it didn't.

Regie,
Wine doesn't agree with me, but I do drink red grape juice for the health benefits. I eat small meals throughout the day and not within 3 hours of going to bed.

Beulah

Post by Beulah » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:55 pm

The other day when I was going into my house from the DME with my new CPAP machine and all the paperwork, my next-door neighbor said, "Is that a CPAP machine?" Of course, we started talking. Incredibly - to me anyway - she said that she had been on CPAP but had to stop because "[my] stomach filled up with air". Huh? Well, story goes that she should be on CPAP, is so sleep-deprived that she's on Social Security disability because SHE KEEPS FALLING ASLEEP and it's unsafe for her to drive, be out of the home, etc., but she stopped doing the CPAP "because [her] stomach filled up with air". Holy cow. I tried to be gracious and said that I think that she must really need the CPAP and couldn't they work something out, didn't the doc look for an alternative, etc. She said nope to everything, that she has so much OSA she can barely function but isn't/won't do CPAP. Yikes! I'm sure she's not someone just doing that for the disability benefits because her husband is a fairly affluent engineer. She's only 53 but about the lowest-energy person I've ever met. We're not close, but now I'm concerned for her.

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 pm

Outasync, I know exactly what you mean. Fortunately for me it isn't every day but there are many days that has happened to me too. It is embarrassing to be afraid to walk or bend over! YIKES
One thing I did discover is that it is always the worst for me when I sleep on my back. If I sleep totally on my side I have much less of a problem. I assume you sleep on your back if you are using an incline pillow. If there is a way to side sleep you might see an improvement.
I don't think you should have to wake up every hour to burp because that kind of negates the reason for sleeping which is to rest! I wake up enough at night without intentionally waking myself up.