New Respironics ComfortCurve

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JerryR

Post by JerryR » Thu May 19, 2005 7:55 am

Well, I wasn't quite so lucky Rested Gal. Not having anyone to borrow it from, I purchased this infernal contraption. Received it yesterday, tried it out last night. I was SO looking forward to being able to use an interface that didn't feel like an abnormal growth on my face. It passed that test. I also like the direction of the exhalation ports. Exhausts at about a 40 degree angle to the face which works well for me since I have no bed partner.
Now for the cons:
1. It's LOUD!!!
2. Heck of time getting a good seal (he types while looking through watery eyes)
3. Tried all three different sized nasal interfaces (the guide on the package was useless) and ended up with the large being the best seal - which is a relative term here.
4. Did I mention that it's LOUD?
5. I feel like %$!@% today.
Having read the various posts here about the cheek pad adjustment being the key, I tried every possible setting with no luck. Like Rested Gal, I found that sleeping on my side - which my sleep studies recommend and I know I must do - made maintaining any kind of seal with the Comfort Curve nearly impossible.
Tonight, it's back to my Activa to get a halfway decent night's sleep. I'll give the Comfort Curve another try over the weekend when sleep isn't quite as critical as a weeknight. But, I have a feeling it will join a few others spending the rest of their non-useful life at the bottom of my closet.
Did I tell you that the Comfort Curve is LOUD???!!!

MartiniLover

Post by MartiniLover » Thu May 19, 2005 7:58 am

I also bought one, and at first thought this is going to be neat and this is the one. The big head that I have has turned out to be the problem. That and the big nose.

Lucky you, Rested Girl, to be able to try it. Every mask that I have (4) has taken some adjustment. It just doesn't matter who makes it, there is just something that makes it a pain to get used to.

I have another coming today, I hope. I get excited with each new mask I get. I have yet to put one on and three days later say that this is the one. I just keep trying.

I equate this to my old days of racing. I think it takes cubic inches of money, not inches of engine to win. I feel like the government. I just keep throwing money at the problem. I figure so much of my life, depends on this that I am going to get this fixed, no matter how much it costs, even if it kills me.

It has been said before, too bad there isn't a way to keep trying masks until you get it right. I have met many people who just give up because it is uncomfortable. Too bad.

Bipap 13/9, 10ft Hose

mikemoran

Post by mikemoran » Thu May 19, 2005 8:12 am

Was given my CPAP last week along with a Swift interface. Struggled all week trying to get it adjusted so it wouldn't leak and wouldn't hurt my nostrils so much. Finally decided to try a different nasal interface. I couldn't stand the over the nose masks at all.

Based on what I found on here I settled on the ComfortCurve. Last night was the first night I didn't pull the mask off. I did find I had to strap it on pretty tight in order to stop leaks when I layed on my side. Tthis pulled the pads tight agaisnt my cheek bones and I did feel pressure but it was so much less than the pain I felt on my nostrils with the Swift. with it on tight it was also quieter than the Swift.

This morning no red marks and my cheeks feel fine fine. I knew it was there but the pressure was easy to ignore. BTW the guide said I should be using the medium but found the Large worked much better with it snugged down. Also I have a full moustache and found it did no press on it too much or leak as result of my moustache.

As I''ve seen on here no mask is for everyone but this help solve my biggest problem. will providde updates as I use it more.

SleepyTime

Post by SleepyTime » Thu May 19, 2005 9:20 am

Hi everyone! This was my second night with the ComfortCurve and my two week 'anniversary' with CPAP so I'm a newbie and only have the ComfortClassic nasal mask as a comparison --- which was too confining for me. I'm quickly discovering by reading the forum that the CPAP experience is a personal one for everyone. But so far, I'm likin' my new mask!

OK, I too was bothered with the LOUD whistling noise the first night and for the life of me couldn't figure out where the heck it was coming from -- the mask, the tube? But then I read about the Saran Wrap solution here (wrapped some at the elbows) and that did the trick --- what a difference!!! I also followed the fitting advice by 2listless:
One hint I do have is, fit the interface and headgear for comfort, turn on the machine, then pull the nosepiece away from your nose for a second and then turn it loose - that baby will seal under your nose like a suction cup - repeat, under your nose, not over the tip!!!!!!
... it really does work like a charm. (I'm a woman using the small nosepiece -- haven't had to try the others).

I also found that the cheekpads really don't have to be all that tight (at least for me) to hold the seal, though for me they need to be horizontal to my cheekbones so that they don't squish the rest of my face. Needless to say, the seal is not always 100% perfect especially when I turned onto my left side --- but it was so much quicker and easier to adjust than the ComfortClassic mask. I now need to figure where to clip down the hose, I do need to get used to the colder air coming out of the vents so I'm still fiddlin' with my humidifier settings. But I'm hanging in there ... and hoping things will only get better

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Thu May 19, 2005 10:33 am

JerryR wrote:Well, I wasn't quite so lucky Rested Gal. Not having anyone to borrow it from, I purchased this infernal contraption. Received it yesterday, tried it out last night. I was SO looking forward to being able to use an interface that didn't feel like an abnormal growth on my face. It passed that test. I also like the direction of the exhalation ports. Exhausts at about a 40 degree angle to the face which works well for me since I have no bed partner.
Now for the cons:
1. It's LOUD!!!
2. Heck of time getting a good seal (he types while looking through watery eyes)
3. Tried all three different sized nasal interfaces (the guide on the package was useless) and ended up with the large being the best seal - which is a relative term here.
4. Did I mention that it's LOUD?
5. I feel like %$!@% today.
Having read the various posts here about the cheek pad adjustment being the key, I tried every possible setting with no luck. Like Rested Gal, I found that sleeping on my side - which my sleep studies recommend and I know I must do - made maintaining any kind of seal with the Comfort Curve nearly impossible.
Tonight, it's back to my Activa to get a halfway decent night's sleep. I'll give the Comfort Curve another try over the weekend when sleep isn't quite as critical as a weeknight. But, I have a feeling it will join a few others spending the rest of their non-useful life at the bottom of my closet.
Did I tell you that the Comfort Curve is LOUD???!!!
The problem is the elbows aren't sealing. That makes it really really loud, and also has the additional problem of shooting into the eyes. Read my review and try the saran wrap gasket...

Good Luck!!

AllShookUp

Post by AllShookUp » Thu May 19, 2005 11:44 am

Mine was also loud and also blasted air in my face until I used the saran wrap gasket. It works!
Texas Expert in Sleep Wrestling

Derrell

Post by Derrell » Thu May 19, 2005 9:09 pm

I guess that I am just plain fortunate. My ComfortCurve fit just perfect the very first night. It has been wonderful, and no other mask comes close so far. Couple nights ago, I put on my original ComfortGel nasal mask (only because it was late and I hadn't cleaned my ComfortCurve recently). I tried that sucker for about 5 minutes and went off to clean my ComfortCurve!

I have not had any of the elbow leaks that some mention. I do notice the cooler air discharge, however I have not noticed any kind of "Loudness". Then again, who am I to say as I have a major hearing issue. Maybe I best ask my wife about the loudness, but she hasn't complained at all since I used to (no longer!) snore at major decibel levels.

You are all correct that the ComfortCurve is not good for side sleeping, as on the rare occasions that I sleep on my side, it will definitely dislodge and start a small leak. Fortunately, I have always preferred sleeping on my back anyway, and only trained myself to sleep on side to try (unsuccessfully) to alleviate my loud snoring. I seldom sleep on my side anymore as that causes pains in my arthritic shoulders anyway.

Back sleeping happily with my ComfortCurve!!!!
RemStar Plus with C-Flex (darn HMO)and Heated Humidifier, pressure at 9
Respironics ComfortCurve mask.

JerryR

Post by JerryR » Fri May 20, 2005 4:32 am

Derrell,
I believe your signatue line tells the story. Your pressure setting is 9. Mine is 18. Like most masks I've tried - the Activa being the ONLY exception, it can not stand up to the higher pressure settings. IMHO, the Comfort Curve is no exception to this. The elbows on mine do not have a leak problem. They seal just fine. It is the exhaust air - likely due to my high pressure - that sounds like someone is sandblasting.
And, no matter what I do, however I adjust the darn thing, I have leaks - especially when the ramp time ends.
So, sadly, it's another $150 down the drain and back to my semi-comfortable Activa.

DrDroopy

Post by DrDroopy » Fri May 20, 2005 5:13 am

To a certain degree I regret my earlier enthusiasm regarding the ComfortCurve. I think I may have been hasty. While I still think this mask is the one for me, at least until something better come along, I am new to this world of cpap forums and I am beginning to understand that it is important to be concise. I do have some problems with this mask, but at the time I first posted the problems seemed small in comparison with the huge sense of relief I was getting due to all the problems the mask solved for me. Familiarity breeds contempt, however, and as I've come to take for granted to wonderfulness of not having something in my line of sight, not having a heavy intrusion on my face, and how well the lightweight hoses move around, I have become increasingly annoyed by other things, particularly little leaks and hissing hoses. I am working on ways to solve these -- Sarah Wrap and seal gel are the current experiments -- or get used to them. (I'm posting in the body adhesives subject about my efforts with It Stays.) I wanted to note that I was talking to my medical supply guy -- unlike what many of you deal with, mine is wonderful -- and he said, "I'm not pushing these things (the CC) because I'm not convinced that it is sufficiently stable. You can make it work because your pressure is low -- mine is 8 -- but I can't imagine how this can seal well at higher pressures." Are there folks with higher pressures who have made it work?

AllShookUp

Post by AllShookUp » Fri May 20, 2005 5:46 am

I have had to modify my CC quite a bit, but now I am sleeping better than I have since starting CPAP in December of last year. I am truly a side sleeper and no matter how hard I tried to sleep on my back with the CC I could not do it and also seem to open my mouth more on my back. I tried everything that I could think of to adjust those cheek pads for side sleeping but could not sleep very long without breaking the seal. I too tried to sleep with my old mask because I was just too pooped after fighting all those nights with the CC. I can't do it anymore. That mask somehow feels twice as large, heavy and hot as it used to. The CC's non invasive feel on your face makes you keep trying to use it. I think I have finally got my CC fined tuned. I have put plumber's thread seal tape on my elbows, ditched the darn cheek pads and made my own strap. Starting to feel like I am living again!

AllShookUp

Post by AllShookUp » Fri May 20, 2005 5:55 am

Forgot to mention in my last post that for me, those loud air noises were partially from the elbows, but the loudest ones were from the mask leaking. You don't realize it because you think it is coming from those exhaust ports but it is leaking. With my modification of the CC mask I am able to get that great suction feel that I have heard others talk of. Now it is very quiet.

Newsgrouper

Post by Newsgrouper » Fri May 20, 2005 6:08 am

I too am back to my Activa. No problem with tubing leaks but the exhaust never has me certain if the nose piece is leaking or not. My real problem is the perceived pressure felt at my cheek bones. It seem to become intolerable as I lay there thinking about it always causing me to take it off. I have been trying to get accustomed to it during short periods. I really want this one to work.

JerryR

Post by JerryR » Fri May 20, 2005 11:56 am

AllShookUp wrote:Forgot to mention in my last post that for me, those loud air noises were partially from the elbows, but the loudest ones were from the mask leaking. You don't realize it because you think it is coming from those exhaust ports but it is leaking. With my modification of the CC mask I am able to get that great suction feel that I have heard others talk of. Now it is very quiet.
AllShookUp,
May I ask your pressure setting?

mikemoran

Post by mikemoran » Fri May 20, 2005 2:07 pm

Second night with my CC. Spent the afternoon adjusting it so i could last the night. I thought I had elbow leaks but realized it was jsut the tubing getting in front of the ports and deflecting the air. When on my back it is almost silent now. I only get leaks and noise when on my side. I am at low pressure so don't know how it will work at the higher levels.

Dan01

Post by Dan01 » Fri May 20, 2005 6:32 pm

AllShookUp wrote:I have had to modify my CC quite a bit, but now I am sleeping better than I have since starting CPAP in December of last year. I am truly a side sleeper and no matter how hard I tried to sleep on my back with the CC I could not do it and also seem to open my mouth more on my back. I tried everything that I could think of to adjust those cheek pads for side sleeping but could not sleep very long without breaking the seal. I too tried to sleep with my old mask because I was just too pooped after fighting all those nights with the CC. I can't do it anymore. That mask somehow feels twice as large, heavy and hot as it used to. The CC's non invasive feel on your face makes you keep trying to use it. I think I have finally got my CC fined tuned. I have put plumber's thread seal tape on my elbows, ditched the darn cheek pads and made my own strap. Starting to feel like I am living again!
Great idea. how did you make the new straps. I must try it myself.

Dan