For everyone that told me to call CPAP.com for help -results

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dieselgal

For everyone that told me to call CPAP.com for help -results

Post by dieselgal » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:50 pm

I tried this and talked to someone named Paul. When I told him I had questions about sizing and the comfort gel mask and was hoping he could help me his response was to buy the return option insurance because there was nothing he could say to help me compare that mask with others I have and nothing he could help me with. Basically, buy the insurance. Thanks come again.
I was kind of put off by him and maybe it was because I caught him at the end of the day and he was ready to go home. Maybe he is always that way.
Unfortunately for me he was no help.
I guess when others have called they have spoken to someone else.

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Man. That is a surprise, and a disappointment. Maybe you should send a PM to Johnny Goodman via this forum. Seems to me that he'd want hear about your negative experience with his company. Perhaps that person you spoke with needs more training after some time standing in the corner.
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:21 pm

It sounds like he didn't help you find out how you could best size the mask to lessen the risk that you would need to return it. I know there are some templates and such for some masks. He should have at least directed you to them or said that this mask doesn't have a way to size (no template, videos, etc.)

But also, I think the policy makes sense. The masks can't be returned w/o the insurance. The insurance seems expensive relative to the mask. But, I think of it this way: A bricks and mortar DME will charge a lot more for a mask, based on the idea that they provide the service of fitting the mask (often poorly at that). Cpap.com will charge much less, but since the mask can't be used, the only option is to return it and the insurance covers that cost. They do have to cover their costs and this enables them to charge much lower prices. If you like the fit and want to buy it again when it wears out, you won't have to buy insurance, it's a one time cost. The Bricks DME will charge the same high price every time, even though they only fit the mask once.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Think about it this way.....

If he'd have answered your questions and it would have led you to a particular size that did NOT work out of fit......you'd have been PO'd at them for that. He was in a no-win situation.

Not knowing what your questions were, it's kind of hard to make a judgement, but with "all things being equal", I probably would have done the same thing.....even if it would have been a UMFF or Quattro (which I AM familiar with).
This may be a CPAP.COM policy we don't know about and I don't think it's fair to judge Paul or CPAP.COM for it.

Getting the RIGHT mask and size can be a real crap shoot. One doesn't have to look far on the forum pages to see that what works for one doesn't work for the next person.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

darthlucy

Post by darthlucy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Rose--Thanks for that explanation of the return insurance. It really helped me understand why it's as high as it is. Makes sense now!

Joined the Hosehead Brigade on June 22, 2007

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Well, was it Nookyuler Bush that once said? -- "You can't please all the people all the time and uhh, you can't please some of the people some of the time, and uhhh ... ummm, uhhh, if you can, please none of the people all the time."
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Like I said, he may have just wanted to go home but the reason I made my post is that I keep hearing that we should just contact cpap.com for information and some guidance. I keep hearing how people have been so helpful and Paul just wasn't helpful, didn't really try to be helpful and didn't try to fake like he even cared.

With that said I do purchase from cpap.com and I will probably continue to do so as long as the prices are right.

As far as the return insurance, well on that mask it is only about 17.00 so that might be worth it to me, but if I were going to pay half or more of what the mask cost me to return it I would probably just auction it off and break even anyway. As a business I totally understand their return policy because masks are so personal.

I also understand all the reasons why they don't want to give erroneous info and that is a good thing but try to at least pretend to me you give a hoot.

By the way Dreamstalker....I can be made happy, but attitude goes a long way with me. I will tip even a crappy waitress if she has a good attitude.

I consider my self an pessimistic optimist.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): cpap.com

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:32 am

I still think Paul's response was inappropriate. While it may have been reasonable to suggest that diesalgal purchase return insurance, Paul still should have helped her determine which size mask to buy. Of course, there are no guarantees that a mask will fit or work for any one individual, but cpap.com should have helped her determine the size most likely to fit.

Having said that, I have always be very satisfied with cpap.com's customer service. This incident seems totally out of character with what I've experienced.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:02 am

greyhound wrote:I still think Paul's response was inappropriate. While it may have been reasonable to suggest that diesalgal purchase return insurance, Paul still should have helped her determine which size mask to buy. Of course, there are no guarantees that a mask will fit or work for any one individual, but cpap.com should have helped her determine the size most likely to fit.

Having said that, I have always be very satisfied with cpap.com's customer service. This incident seems totally out of character with what I've experienced.
Think about that again......especially from the business owner's perspective.
You could lose money hand over fist.

It would be a bad precedent to start for an online seller. And, if it was YOUR business, you could lose your shorts in a hearbeat.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:20 am

Den, I disagree with your comment. In the past, I've found that cpap.com has been helpful provided mask sizing information to customers. In some cases it was with their automated questionnaire, in others, it was over the phone. Dieselgal's experience just seems different from mine and others I've read about on this forum.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:28 pm

The ComfortGel masks I get from "Lincare, come in a sealed?? package, at the top of the bag there are holes cut out for sizing. (like openings for your nose) Maybe if you didn't open them you could send it back for even exchange. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jsmythe

Post by jsmythe » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:00 am

Before I ordered my CGel from cpap.com, I did the face measuring thing they have for fitting and went by their suggestion as to what size. And as Jim said:
The ComfortGel masks I get from "Lincare, come in a sealed?? package, at the top of the bag there are holes cut out for sizing. (like openings for your nose) Maybe if you didn't open them you could send it back for even exchange. Jim
Mine had the sizing guide on the package. I did use it before I opened the package just to be a little more positive about the size. I did purchase the insurance, but did not need it as they were right about my size. I was borderline between a Petite and Small, but the Small fit.

Started using cpap Sept. 12, 2007
Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap Auto w/Flex,pressure of 9/15, do not use ramp