New machine & it smells !! How

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jknsk2002

New machine & it smells !! How

Post by jknsk2002 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:32 pm

do I get rid of that "new" smell ? It kinda makes me sick....That's a huge part of why I'm avoiding starting this. I'm having surgery ( Lap Band ) in 4 days and dr insists that I get a few "good nights sleep" before surgery. I just picked up my machine yesterday. I will tell you I am having a rough time of this, I'm almost in tears every time I think about it.. I showed it to my girls tonight and they are OK with it....so , now it's all on me, I guess.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Wash the foam filter, humidifier, hose, and mask. Assemble everything (no water in humidifier) and let it run for a while, this should reduce the odor. Soaking the hose in a baking soda solution may help even more. The new smell should disappear in a few days.

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:29 pm

If smells are a particular bother to you, you might want to investigate the Pur_Sleep essential oils. They can be ordered directly from their web site, or from our hosts at cpap.com Shipping takes a few days, of course.

However, you need something right away. You might try this. If you have a favorite perfume or aftershave, try sprinkling a few drops on a folded piece of cloth, and place that near the air inlet opening on your cpap. If the smell is too strong, move the cloth further away. That should help you with any residual "new" smell until it is entirely gone on its own. Food flavorings such as vanilla or almond can also be used. Use only a little, in this case, more is not better!

Good luck with your surgery!

deglorious

Post by deglorious » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi, I soak my hose and mask and humidifier to clean it,with distilled vinegar then I wash with Dawn soap, then air dry. It just smells clean after all that. You might also try PurrSleep Essential Oils. I haven't tried that yet, but everyone that uses them just raves...

Good luck,

Deglorious

PS be sure to fill out your profile so that we'll know what machine and mask you are using, in case you need questions answered.

TossinNTurnin

Post by TossinNTurnin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:07 pm

deglorious wrote:Hi, I soak my hose and mask and humidifier to clean it,with distilled vinegar then I wash with Dawn soap, then air dry. It just smells clean after all that. You might also try PurrSleep Essential Oils. I haven't tried that yet, but everyone that uses them just raves...

Good luck,

Deglorious

PS be sure to fill out your profile so that we'll know what machine and mask you are using, in case you need questions answered.
Dawn liquid? I thought soap with grease cutters damages the plastic and shortens the lifespan of the mask/tubes.

"She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything" Vincenzo Bellini

Zoo Med Repti Heat cable to prevent rainout and the Aussie heated hose

WNJ

Post by WNJ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 pm

TossinNTurnin wrote:Dawn liquid? I thought soap with grease cutters damages the plastic and shortens the lifespan of the mask/tubes.
Yes. And anti-bacterial soaps are also bad.

I use baby shampoo. Leaves a faint, pleasant smell.

Wayne

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:29 pm

I've been using dawn dish liquid for over a year and it hasn't caused any problems that I can see. My nasal pillows are almost a year old and still work just fine, My hose is older and is fine too. I just use a few drops of the dawn, and I make sure to rinse VERY well.

Brenda

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:40 pm

I've been using Dawn diswashing liquid for three years on the same mask and it hasn't deteriorated. I've never washed my hose (yep, same one).

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:56 pm

the eucriplytos oil will help that is what the docs and nurses use in the sleep lab. hope it helps.

bigk

Post by bigk » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:10 pm

My DME told me to just wipe the mask with "baby wipes" or even anti-bacterial ones - purely to get the oils etc off. (I know the mask instructions say you shouldn't do that)

I think I will do the whole pulling everything apart routine once a month.

Resmed H3i Humidifier
Swift FX
Mirage Swift LT Nasal Pillows
Activa Nasal Mask
Resscan Software with USB + Data Card
SPO 7500 Pulse-Ox
MedicMon Blood Pressure Monitor
Aussie Heated Hose

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:19 pm

Do as everyone has suggested, the good news as you use it the smell will subside, and your nose will also accept the new smell better. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:31 am

I use Dr. Bonner's liquid Castile soap---in peppermint. You can get it in GNC --about 4.99 for 8 oz. A little goes a long way!!!! Smells nice after cleaning too, good luck,
Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

WNJ

Post by WNJ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:41 am

There are lots of even more caustic cleaners that could be used to strip the oils off the mask.

My mask user’s guide says to use “pure soap” (it gives Dove unscented as an example) to wash the mask. It cautions against using a number of stronger cleaners that it names.

At $200 a pop for masks, I don’t understand why anyone would want to take a chance on shortening the life of their mask by using detergents or anti-bacterial cleaners or alcohol wipes, when a mild soap is less expensive and cleans the mask perfectly well.

Wayne

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:19 am

I use Johnson's Baby Wash. .... on my mask and stuff.... ok sometimes on me as well.

On a new mask I will often give them a soak for a couple hours in a MILD (as in 1 part to 10 parts) vinegar and water solution. And tehn I wash with the baby soap and then I air dry it. Seems to take that "plastic" smell out of stuff pretty well.

The machine is a bit tougher. I have let mine run with a hose and mask connected after washing out the new foam filter (again I do this with Johnson's Baby Wash). Connect hose and mask and turn the machine on and let 'er rip for a couple hours. "New" smell a greatly diminished or gone.

TossinNTurnin

Post by TossinNTurnin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:39 pm

sleeplessinaz wrote:I use Dr. Bonner's liquid Castile soap---in peppermint. You can get it in GNC --about 4.99 for 8 oz. A little goes a long way!!!! Smells nice after cleaning too, good luck,
Carrie
I use the Dr. Bonners too

I use the lavender scent as lavender is one of the essential oils that promotes sleep. They also have a baby soap version that has no scent to it.
"She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything" Vincenzo Bellini

Zoo Med Repti Heat cable to prevent rainout and the Aussie heated hose