Still waking up 4 or 5 times a night.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fehler

Still waking up 4 or 5 times a night.

Post by fehler » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Hello everyone

I have posted on here a few times and just want to say this forum has helped a lot. My problem is this, all of my numbers are good AHI under 1, VS under 3 OA under 1 and average leak 40.I still wake up 4 or 5 times a night. I don’t have that foggyness in the morning any more but still feel tired. I have been on CPAP since 13 Dec 2007. The numbers I am getting are from Encorview.

Frank

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 pm

any large leaks showing up? Your AHI won't reflect those.

fehler

Post by fehler » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:32 pm

no large leaks showing on the data

Wulfman

Re: Still waking up 4 or 5 times a night.

Post by Wulfman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 pm

fehler wrote:Hello everyone

I have posted on here a few times and just want to say this forum has helped a lot. My problem is this, all of my numbers are good AHI under 1, VS under 3 OA under 1 and average leak 40.I still wake up 4 or 5 times a night. I don’t have that foggyness in the morning any more but still feel tired. I have been on CPAP since 13 Dec 2007. The numbers I am getting are from Encorview.

Frank
So do I. Every time I switch the sides I'm sleeping on. But, I'm usually able to go right back to sleep.

If you can go back to sleep relatively easily, I wouldn't worry about it. Your stats sound like they're good.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Well, you've only got a month under your belt on CPAP. Rome wasn't built in a day and titration studies aren't perfect.

Does it take you 20 minutes to fall asleep most nights? Are you using C-Flex? If so at what setting?

Have you taken your smart card in to the DME or sleep doctor for a download yet? Or sent your sleep doctor a print out of one of your downloads?

Do you have a copy of the dictated results from your sleep evaluation and your titration studies (about 1-2 pages each? Do you have copies of the full data summary printout w/condensed graphs from both studies (about 5-7 pages each)? You may have another sleep disorder that the sleep doctor thought might be resolved w/CPAP or that was thought not to be so important as your OSA.

And you may still just be playing catch up w/adequate rest or still adjusting to wearing the mask. When you do wake up those 4-5 times do you hit the Ramp button again to get back to sleep?

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

fehler

Post by fehler » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:35 pm

I dont use the ramp anymore and usually can get to sleep in under 10 minutes. I have an appointment with my sleep doctor on Feb. 11. I do have a copy of my sleep evaluation and your titration studies no other disorders other than OSA.

packer

sleeping through

Post by packer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:45 am

I was in same boat- waking up several times

what helped me was Pursleep

for whatever reason - how or why it works- after
I started using it was first sleep through the night

now seversl months later I sometimes wake up once for potty break

what I started doing was to change aromas and found myself sleeping
through again-

here is the thing though- I changed aromas because I was
waking up 1 time! where before it was several times

so- 1 time isnt bad- and sleeping through is great

for what its worth- from leaf blower to apap- to heated hose - to swift 2 or twilight- trying several masks i didnt like- using AYR gel- hanging hose from plant hanger over the bed-
and finally adding Pursleep - now it works pretty well packer

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:54 pm

Ahem.... NORMAL PEOPLE WAKE UP SEVERAL TIMES A NIGHT FOR NO REASON.

Give yourself a break. If you can fall back asleep, then you are sleeping normally. If you don't, you have insomnia and need to address the variety of reasons why.

I'm 100% compliant, I'm sleeping very well right this minute, no congestion, no real health complaints, and I wake up several times a night for no reason.

To amuse myself, I take a sip of water, then roll over and go back to sleep. And I remind myself this is perfectly normal.

I am very lucky - I had a doctor way back in the early nineties who told me that I DID NOT HAVE INSOMNIA, THAT THIS WAS PERFECTLY NORMAL and to quit paying attention to sleep medication commercials.

Remind yourself that the sleep aid commercials are like beer commercials - no one is having as much fun in their real life as people in beer commercials, and no one is sleeping completely for 8 hours straight.

My OCD kicks in sometimes, and I fret, but I can usually get back on track and remind myself that THIS IS PERFECTLY NORMAL.

You are in the very early stages of therapy. You're GOING to have some disruptions. It will take some months to get things running smoothly.

In the meantime, this is NOT something you need worry about. You have enough things to worry about.

Cheers,
Babs

fehler

Post by fehler » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:04 am

A couple things i forgot to mention I quit smoking 3 weeks a go and when i do wake up i have to go to the bathroom.

Frank

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:55 am

fehler wrote:A couple things i forgot to mention I quit smoking 3 weeks a go and when i do wake up i have to go to the bathroom.

Frank
GOOD LUCK on the "Smoking Thing!" and if you learn any NEW Four letter words please pass them along.........

ALSO try a glass of Cranberry juice just before bed slows down the need to taking a leak---

AND Yes it's normal to wake up a few times @ night and as long as you get back to sleep soon "YOUR Doing GOOD!"
GOOD LUCK!!

BERT

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

jnorris

Post by jnorris » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:25 am

Fehler,

I to am new to CPAP usage. I started on 1/4/08 and do not sleep through the night. To be honest, I felt better the two weeks prior to using the CPAP than I have since I started using it.
I am not aware of any mask leaks or if mouth opens while I sleep. I just do not feel rested.
Not sure what the problem is but I sure hope it get better.

John

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:04 pm

John, you are in typical new therapy mode. This is very very common for new cpap-ers.

I second the call for Pursleep.

pur-sleep.com

It's TERRIBLY helpful.

Good luck to all!
B.

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:12 pm

I wake up several times a night too and I have used CPAP now for almost 10 months, but even before CPAP I woke up several times a night. The difference is that now I wake up for different reasons.
Like Wulfman I wake up every time I turn over which is many times a night but I usually can go right back to sleep. I also wake up generally once to go to the bathroom. Before CPAP I had such bad PLMD that I woke myself up constantly by moving around and couldn't get back to sleep for a long time.
So now even though I wake up frequently I am resting better. I can fall asleep much faster now than I could before.
Maybe it will work that way for you too.

ZZZzzz

Post by ZZZzzz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:31 pm

I wake up multiple times a night, too.
It's annoying.

I guess the humble approach would be that at LEAST now I wake up a few times a night.

I used to "dose off" a few times a night.

-Bev # : )
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regrets; for I am far surer of what is kind, than I am of what is true.

Captain_Midnight

nocturia tapered for me

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:45 pm

Fehler

What you describe sounds somewhat familiar.

Before OSA Dx and CPAP, I would wake up 3-4 times pre night, often all sweaty, and need to visit Mr. Potty.

Post CPAP, I found myself waking up for a potty visit 2-3 times, not sweaty, for the first 6 months or so. Also, my first wakeup was slowly becoming later and later.

Fast forward to now, I'm at 1-2 potty visits per night, mostly dependent upon how much water I've had in the late evening. (If I have very little H2) 2 hrs before retiring, I have my longest sleep intervals.

Ditto to what Den said about waking up just to roll over. No big deals there.

One other thing. Now, after 2 years of C/APAP therapy, when I do wake up, I feel as though I have been asleep for longer than I have. In other words, I will wakeup feeling as though I have slept 4 or 5 hours, when I have really slept only 1.5 or 2.

Dont' know why this is, but it's consistent. Just about every night.

So, restrict liquids a couple hours before turning in, and see what that does for you.

Regards all - - Tom