not sleeping with mouth open & still getting dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shardebhow

not sleeping with mouth open & still getting dry mouth

Post by shardebhow » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:38 pm

I am waiting for a swap out so I can get a data capable machine. Should happen tomorrow. In the meantime. . .is it possible for me to still get a dry mouth even though I am sleeping with my mouth closed? I really feel that I have not been opening my mouth at night because if I try to do that, I get an uncomfortable pressure feeling. When I do intentionaly open my mouth with mask still on and CPAP still running, it feels scratchy & dry. But I do not think it feels that way once I get up for the day.

Thoughts welcome.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:01 pm

If you are asleep you can't tell, because you aren't awake. If you don't make it imposiable to lose air out of your mouth, you probably are losing it out of your mouth.

A FF mask that seals bypassed that problem, one less problem in the mix. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

linda b

Post by linda b » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:29 pm

I have no doubt that I do not open my mouth, but I frequently have a dry mouth -- so frequently, in fact, that it is ruining my teeth. I use Poligrip Strips to keep lips together and I frequently check the leak rate numbers on my Encore Pro data and they are exactly where they should be for my mask and air pressure. I have been doing this for almost two years. During the last 6 months, between checkups, my xrays showed something like 6 cavaties that were not there before. My dentist said I can look forward to a bunch of crowns in the future!! The only change made in my routine during that 6 month period was changing my low pressure from 8 to 8.5, then to 9. And there has been no increase in sugar consumption or anything like that.

So, in my humble opinion, yes, it is possible to have dry mouth without opening your mouth or leaking air through your mouth.

Linda B.

shardebhow

Post by shardebhow » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:36 pm

[quote="linda b"]I have no doubt that I do not open my mouth, but I frequently have a dry mouth -- so frequently, in fact, that it is ruining my teeth. I use Poligrip Strips to keep lips together and I frequently check the leak rate numbers on my Encore Pro data and they are exactly where they should be for my mask and air pressure. I have been doing this for almost two years. During the last 6 months, between checkups, my xrays showed something like 6 cavaties that were not there before. My dentist said I can look forward to a bunch of crowns in the future!! The only change made in my routine during that 6 month period was changing my low pressure from 8 to 8.5, then to 9. And there has been no increase in sugar consumption or anything like that.

So, in my humble opinion, yes, it is possible to have dry mouth without opening your mouth or leaking air through your mouth.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:55 pm

One night I was playing around with tape on my mouth (at bedtime), and I realized that I could let the air from my machine (nasal pillow) fill up my mouth (cheeks) , instead of my lungs. It would just go back and forth......in and out of my mouth and nose (through the naso pharynx). So I'm wondering if that's happening to you. That could dry your mouth out without opening your mouth.

roster

Post by roster » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:12 pm

Just one more opinion:

1) You can have dry mouth without opening your mouth whether you use cpap or not/whether you have sleep apnea or not. Low saliva production will cause it. There are several conditions which will cause insufficient saliva production (Google it).

2) If your mouth is not open and your lips are not leaking while you are using cpap, then cpap is not causing your mouth to be dry. For cpap to dry out your mouth you need a flow of air through the mouth. Even with Country4ever's testimony, I still cannot imagine cpap creating a flow of air into the mouth and then back out. The mouth would need to be expanding and contracting to create such a flow.

I vote with Goofproof.

Signed:
Rooster, who sometimes breathes through his mouth while on the roost.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Rooster.........that's what I meant.....that my cheeks were puffing bigtime.
Sjogrens is an autoimmune type thing that leads to dry mouth and eyes.
Also, certain medications can definitely cause dry mouth. I was on a beta blocker that dried it out alot and even caused me to get "hairy tongue".

roster

Post by roster » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Country4ever wrote:Rooster.........that's what I meant.....that my cheeks were puffing bigtime.
''''''''
When I used to tape my mouth my cheeks would puff out. But this was just like pressure in a balloon. There was no flow of air to dry out the tissue.

I use an FF mask. My mouth will sometimes get dry at night, but only when I am breathing through it. I found the A-Flex machine greatly reduced my dry mouth because I am breathing less through my mouth.

Whatever suits you. We all see through the looking glass dimly. I will try harder tomorrow. Gotta close out my day for now.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:45 am

Have you tried raising the temp, on your humidifier? Does you humidifier have a heated hose?

With a heated hose warming the air, we can get more humidity into the air without having condensation.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:36 am

To you folks with dry mouth that are positive you're not leaking air.....

Do you have or have you been checked for diabetes or other health issues?

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:08 am

I've heard that the toothpaste and mouthwash "Biotene" is good for dry mouths. I bought some, but never used it, as stopping my beta blocker took care of the problem. They suggest it for people with Sjogren's and for people receiving chemo. I've heard it helps.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:30 am

Den,

Yes, I've been tested for diabetes.

My dry mouth is 24/7. I take so many allergy/asthma meds, it's just impossible to avoid. Having the cpap blowing air down my throat makes it worse.

I have better nights and worse nights. I know I'm not opening my mouth. I keep a glass of water by the bed, with a bendy straw in it, and take sips when I wake up really dry.

I do try to use the highest humidity I can stand - currently that's 2.

I guess I'm less worried about the nightly dry mouth, since I had it before cpap. I can sometimes notice a marked difference, like about a month or so ago, it was drier than usual, so I upped the humidity, which brought it back to "normal" dryness.

One thing that sometimes gets me is the cpap air can tickle my throat, causing me to cough. Not usually terribly bothersome, and very random. Not enough to want to quit the cpap.

Cheers,
Babs - who goes NO WHERE without something to drink, at all times

frapilu

Post by frapilu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:45 pm

Babette,

I'm with you. I have dry mouth 24/7. I carry a water bottle everywhere and have one on the nighttable as well as Ricola sugar-free losenges. When I wear my HC406 nasal mask, it isn't as bad but that mask had taken to causing my nose to break out so I have to go a few days with UMFF to let it clear. Wearing my UMFF causes that throat tickle so I wake up often coughing. I use a hose cover and use the highest humidity the machine has when I'm using the UMFF. For the HC406, I have to use a lower humidity or I get rain-out.

I'm going on vacation in February but when I get back, I'll be looking into a new mask and I'm tempted to try the Aura Headset (or whatever it's called) to see if that's any better.

France

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:48 pm

France - the Nasal Aire II packs very well.

Don't make me post my 27 reasons why it's the only mask for me.

LOL,
Babs The Dry

frapilu

Post by frapilu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:34 pm

That's cute: Babs The Dry. Hee, hee.

I have to tell you that I used to have a Nasalaire II and although I personally liked it, my husband threated to move to another house. Sleeping beside someone using either a Swift or a Nasalaire (either I or II, I've had both and I've had the Swift too) is like sleeping in an arctic wind tunnel. Since I kinda like having him around , I changed to the HC406, which was fine at first but has lately started causing me grief.

I don't want to change before my vacation not because I'm concerned about packing but because every time I've changed masks so far, it's taken me a good month to do so. I'm very lucky to have a very patient RT. I try one mask for about a week, hate it and try another for about a week, try a third one, etc. I don't want to start now and find myself having to accept something I don't like because I'm about to leave and I can't trial anymore. So I'm tolerating my two masks and dreaming of something better afterwards.

France