oracle2 452-better than ff mask!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
loonlvr

oracle2 452-better than ff mask!

Post by loonlvr » Sun May 08, 2005 9:09 am

I just started using the new oracle 452 oral mask. I really like it a lot. I'm still tweaking the strap and head band., but I think it is great! Only covers mouth. My first nite Ahi went down to 3 from 10s. Only probelm is leakage. When it does it usually around eyes-not good. Its very quite as exhaust is on hose-barely hear it. If anyone has used this mask and cured leakage, let me know.

twistedcherokee

Post by twistedcherokee » Sun May 08, 2005 10:13 am

I have been thinking about getting one of these, is it going thru your sinus's and out your eye's? What kind of pressure are you running?

Toby

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Sun May 08, 2005 10:20 am

Theres a picture at cpap.com. Its a rubber cup that covers your mouth with a small insert ths goes into your mouth. I'm a mouth breather so this is way better than the reg full face. It comes with nose plugs if necessary for you. You also need a humidifier. But there is a lot less area to cause leakage than the full face that covers nose, etc. Plus no nose bridge rubbing.

Oracle

Post by Guest » Sun May 08, 2005 10:03 pm

I have been using the Oracle for about a month and also like it a lot. My Remstar Auto is set for 9 to 13.5 with cflex set at 3 (highest). I am a mouth breather so a full face mask or Oracle is a necessity. I have a full beard so that may be a reason that my Encore Pro indicates large leaks for signifigant periods of the night when using my ResMed Ultra Mirage FF Mask. With the Oracle a large leak indication is rare.

The nose plugs that come with the Oracle are, for me, very uncomfortable. I tried swimmers nose clips which were also too uncomfortable. I now do not use any nose clips (the instructions imply one can do without them after a while). I also don't bother using the head band either.

A heated humidifier is a must with the Oracle but its mouthpiece introduces the air past the teeth so that ones gums and teeth tend to dry out less than with a full face mask.

One draw back is the pressure on my sinuses with the Oracle and the stuffy nose feeling in the morning. I also have an impression that my AHI might not be as good as with the FF mask (when it isn't leaking) but can't say this for sure.

In summary, in this writers opinion an Oracle is a viable alternative to a full face mask.

Gustave Graves

Oracle Mask

Post by Gustave Graves » Sun May 08, 2005 10:06 pm

The previous on the Oracle was from Gustav Graves.

snork1

Post by snork1 » Sun May 08, 2005 10:28 pm

I heard that EXTREME dry mouth could be a problem with the oracle, blasting all that air directly through your mouth, rather than through the nose which is designed to keep air moist.

Nose leaks are another issue I have heard of.
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Mon May 09, 2005 4:38 am

I have had no probelms with nose leaks. My AHI is down significantly with this mouth mask. I have set down my pressure somewhat so mouth drynes is not as bad. My probelm is keeping it situated right on my mouth, but i will figure that out.

IWannaSleep

Post by IWannaSleep » Mon May 09, 2005 10:22 am

My sleep doctor told me some people have had problems with developing mouth sores using interfaces (or oral appliances) that use the mouth.

Has anyone had any extended experience with an oral interface or with an oral appliance?

9 cm h2o

snork1

Post by snork1 » Mon May 09, 2005 1:28 pm

loonlvr wrote:.....I have set down my pressure somewhat so mouth drynes is not as bad. ......

WOW! Dropping your pressure seems pretty risky thing to do to use an interface. I hope you are dropping that pressure with input from a sleep study or doctor's supervision or at least careful study of results from your machine!

Too low of pressure could be the same as no treatment at all. Please do be careful!
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Mon May 09, 2005 4:43 pm

Don't think to 7-14 is to drastic from 9-16.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat May 14, 2005 3:48 pm

Can't remember where I read it, but as best I recall, Fisher and Paykel themselves recommend that people can generally use a lower pressure with the Oracle and get same degree of treatment they'd get on a higher pressure with other types of masks.

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Sat May 14, 2005 3:57 pm

I love the mask but it definitely is not for high pressure. Not enough straps. So i'm trying to gerry rig an extra strap. But it is much more comfortable than the nose rubbing ff type, Like my loon?

glassgal

Post by glassgal » Sat May 14, 2005 4:04 pm

Hi Loonlvr,

I really like your new avatar!

Is it a nesting hen? It is a little hard to tell that small, and I'm not wearing my glasses!
Sleep well,

Jane

PB 420e -- 10-17 cm/H2O
heated humidifier
NasalAireII
Aura that I have deconstructed & am making a
new headgear for.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun May 15, 2005 1:09 am

Here ya go, glassgal. The hen got squashed a bit in the reduction down to an avatar size pic. The original bigger pic that loonlvr found really is lovely:

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Sun May 15, 2005 5:58 am

I found this pic at birding.about.com. Very good site -everything about birds.