Cheap heated hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stinkfoot

Post by Stinkfoot » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:40 am

I picked up one of these too and it works like a charm. I've got my humidifier cranked up to 5 now with not a drop of moisture. I used to run it at 2 and would wake up with a wet face regularly. My bedroom temp is 58 degrees. The only problem now is that my humidifier is running out of water before I wake up!

SleepySparky

Rain Out

Post by SleepySparky » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:15 am

Ok, let me see if I am understanding this correctly. You all are putting this cable inside the cover but not the hose itself? Or inside the hose? Have any of you had any problems or any reason you see to worry about fire danger at all? I need a way to reasure hubby that we are not going to go up in flames if I use this. I will be plugging it into a grounded plug. I just need to make sure I am not going to start a fire, as you can tell this is my main concern. Thanks a bunch for any feedback.
Thanks,
SleepySparky
aka Tina

Pressure 10, c-flex setting 2

p2pjunkie

Post by p2pjunkie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:30 pm

You all are putting this cable inside the cover but not the hose itself? Or inside the hose?
Just inside the cover next to the hose... I don't like the idea of putting anything inside the hose itself.
Have any of you had any problems or any reason you see to worry about fire danger at all?
It gets comfortably warm, but never hot. At first I was turning it off every morning, but now I just leave it on. I think it's very safe, but you will need to make up your own mind.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose

TossinNTurnin

Post by TossinNTurnin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:12 pm

Bert_Mathews wrote:I have used this for 3 months now....
I made a small slit in the hose and inserted the heated part inside the hose -- Resealed with a bit of silicone tub caulk..... The HEAT with out the air flowing was a little high so I have added a TIMER that kicks the heated wire on about 10-30 mins after I normally go to bed / sleep -then- turn it off at 07:30 when I'm up and on the go!

SO $10 bucks in the Heater wire & another $10 bucks in a timer couple $$ in time and sealant _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ BEATS the $139,00 Plus shipping & handling....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- It WORKS! -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

BERT
1) Why are you rolling your eyes?

2) Did you make a post about this on this board before?

3) Why would you actually go to all that trouble and risk of putting a slit in the hose? Just seems so unnecessary.

4) I'm thinking of adding a thermostat of some kind... but actually, with the cable on the outside of the hose, it's not to bad really. But I may think differently in the summer... :shrug:

"She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything" Vincenzo Bellini

Zoo Med Repti Heat cable to prevent rainout and the Aussie heated hose

TossinNTurnin

Re: Rain Out

Post by TossinNTurnin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:28 pm

SleepySparky wrote:Ok, let me see if I am understanding this correctly. You all are putting this cable inside the cover but not the hose itself? Or inside the hose? Have any of you had any problems or any reason you see to worry about fire danger at all? I need a way to reasure hubby that we are not going to go up in flames if I use this. I will be plugging it into a grounded plug. I just need to make sure I am not going to start a fire, as you can tell this is my main concern. Thanks a bunch for any feedback.
Thanks,
SleepySparky
aka Tina
Yes, I put it between the hose and the cover.

It really just gets gently warm. I prefer to unplug it for peace of mind. But, I have to admit I forgot yesterday. No big deal.

If it's safe enough for a lizard to crawl all over it, (long nails) not to mention typically wrapped around dry wood branches ... ...., the silicone is flexible. I can't imagine it causing a fire.

It has the same wattage that the Aussie heated hose does (15 watts).

But, of course, this is a "home remedy" and not tested out or anything... so in the end it's up to you.

But, what the heck? it's cheap enough. Buy one... plug it in... see what it feels like.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:00 pm

I wish you'd have thought this up a couple of months ago....I'd of made one instead of sending $140 to Oz.

JeffH

TossinNTurnin

Post by TossinNTurnin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:38 pm

JeffH wrote:I wish you'd have thought this up a couple of months ago....I'd of made one instead of sending $140 to Oz.

JeffH
Well, you could always get one to use while you wait for the OZ to dry after cleaning it, or God forbid it stop working, or if it leaks or something like that...

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:09 pm

TossinNTurnin wrote:
JeffH wrote:I wish you'd have thought this up a couple of months ago....I'd of made one instead of sending $140 to Oz.

JeffH
Well, you could always get one to use while you wait for the OZ to dry after cleaning it, or God forbid it stop working, or if it leaks or something like that...
This is true. I forgot that typing can come across in ways you didn't mean. I wasn't attacking him for not coming up with it on my time schedule...I should ended it with LOL, since that what I meant when I typed it.

I'll type more carefully next time, I promise...LOL!

BTW, I quit cleaning hoses...waste of time.

TossinNTurnin

Post by TossinNTurnin » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:16 pm

JeffH wrote:
TossinNTurnin wrote:

JeffH
This is true. I forgot that typing can come across in ways you didn't mean. I wasn't attacking him for not coming up with it on my time schedule...I should ended it with LOL, since that what I meant when I typed it.

I'll type more carefully next time, I promise...LOL!

BTW, I quit cleaning hoses...waste of time.
Oh, I understand that you weren't being snarky!! No problem.

Dgrendahl

Some more info...eh?

Post by Dgrendahl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:05 pm

[quote="p2pjunkie"]I ordered it last week, I've been using it for the last two nights. It works really really well! It's light and flexible but not flimsy, warm but not too hot, the right length. I'm not sure that it's great for it's intended purpose, but for CPAP it's fantastic.

This is a least my third attempt to add a little warmth to the air. First I tried wrapping a heating pad around the hose, too heavy, not very effective. Then I tried some nichrome wire and melted my hose. This one is easy, and seems safe enough to recommend.

I'm still kinda new to the whole CPAP thing. One of the MANY problems that I've been having is humidification. When I turn down the humidity I feel like I have a cold and my allergies go crazy, when I turn up the humidity I wake up in the middle of the night with a cold wet nose. One problem resolved, next week's goal is hose management.

I've been thinking of adding a thermostat. The same company has a reasonably priced thermostat with a 6 ft. remote sensor probe that controls an outlet. What could be sweeter in CPAPland than a thermostatically controlled nose?

If you gave George Bush an enema, he could be buried in a matchbox.

Someone...please, do it!

GumbyCT

Re: Some more info...eh?

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:11 pm

Dgrendahl wrote:I would like it to be permanently attached...I think. What say you?
I say you would just want to wrap it around the hose or otherwise make it so you can use it on your next hose!! But what do I know? JMMO

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Dgrendahl

Re: Some more info...eh?

Post by Dgrendahl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:17 pm

GumbyCT wrote:
Dgrendahl wrote:I would like it to be permanently attached...I think. What say you?
I say you would just want to wrap it around the hose or otherwise make it so you can use it on your next hose!! But what do I know? JMMO

If you gave George Bush an enema, he could be buried in a matchbox.

Someone...please, do it!

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:22 pm

I would think that small wire ties would work just fine.

p2pjunkie

Post by p2pjunkie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:00 pm

Just toss it inside a hose cover... A wire tie on the rubber hose end(s) to hold it in place. No wrapping around the hose is needed. The hose cover keeps it in place and keeps enough heat in so that it really doesn't matter if the cable is touching the hose or just close to it.

The thermostat: I bought it, and played with it a bit. I'm pretty sure it will work very well, but I never really used it. For now I'm happy with it at full power, but this will probably change in the summer. One nice thing about it is that it's silent, I expected a loud click when it turns on or off. $25 + $9 shipping. (No. I do not work for them, I don't even have a pet lizard)

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose, Power

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose, Power

BigGayBert

I'm in!

Post by BigGayBert » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:15 pm

I just ordered one of these, too! I'll be sure to give a full report.

I'm planning on attaching everything with duct tape! I like the fact that I can change my hoses with this thing.....I a little phobic about stuff like that so I like to get a fresh hose once a month.