Flonase (and related nasal steroids) may be keeping you up..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sickwithapnea17

Re: Flonase (and related nasal steroids) may be keeping you up..

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:45 am

I don't know the doc prescribed it for me but is it safe to be putting that stuff up near your brain??! some studies say it does lower AHI for OSA, but it won't do anything for centrals
18/14 bipap st

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:22 am

I found that it is better for me to use my generic Flonase first thing in the morning. It's not an instant fix like Afrin, etc but one that works better over time so if you use it at bedtime expecting instant relief it's not the best way to use it. Of course, with any drug, it's got lots of side effects!

MDALE

Post by MDALE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:58 pm

I experience dizzy spells when using nasal corticosteriod sprays.

moondoggy

Post by moondoggy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:44 pm

I have used Nasacort for 17 hears on the recommendation of my ENT and his suggestion was to take it right before bed. I've never had any problem with side effects or insomnia. Perhaps Nasacort is a good alternative to the other sprays your using.

Dot Vernon

Post by Dot Vernon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:49 am

I was prescribed fluticasone when released from hospital recently. I was diagnosed with viral bronchitis. I thought taking the spray at night would be best But wondering if that increases more mucous down my throat. - coughing all night but fine during the day - would like to get some sleep.

Dot Vernon

Post by Dot Vernon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:08 pm

I always asked for the water based spray much gentler on my nose. Is fluticasone water based or is it nasonex This rx was given to me upon my release from hospital for the viral bronchitis. Doctor sent me there as he felt oxygen level was low. 93 with a pulmonary embolism about 3 years ago. Was put on nebulizer and oxygen and the first time in my life I saw my oxygen at 100

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:32 pm

An old old thread but I tend to agree with the OP's premise.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

tan

Post by tan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:59 am

Yep, seems like flonase is related to my night awakenings. I have used two shots in each nostril tonight for the past week. As a result, my breathing has been easier during the nights, but my sleep has worsened. Today was the first night without flonase and i slept very well. Needless to say that i was horrified to think that my cpap therapy had stopped working after just a few month ("honeymoon is over"). Fortunately, there is google. Maybe, i should rather use the spray in the morning, but i will go for a week without it just to make sure my conclusions are correct. Doctor that prescribed me flunase never mentioned insomnia as a side effect

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:05 am

I recently had an ENT consult for my apnea and he prescribed Flonase to open my nasal passages, but he specifically said to take it in the morning. It is a once daily medication, efficacy builds over time, and it may cause insomnia in some patients.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:53 am

Try Veramyst and only use it first thing (preferably after a nasal rinse).