FSA paying for Battery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
coldnose

FSA paying for Battery

Post by coldnose » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:04 pm

I'm going to have an excess of money in my Flexible Spendng Account (FSA) this year and would like to purchase a battery system to support my XPAP. I occasionally travel internationally and being able to use my XPAP on the plane/airport would really be nice. This would also support me when we lose electrical power (about once a year for a few hours).

Has anyone had success in getting their FSA to reimburse them for XPAP battery systems?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

---gary

2+2 = 5 for large values of 2....

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:04 am

You might want to ask your doctor to write a prescription for it. Many plan administrators may consider that as proof it is a medical item, not for other purposes.

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:21 am

If your FLEX plan is anything like mine, it shouldn't be a problem. Unlike insurance claims, I just have to submit a receipt showing what I spent, name of the supplier, date of purchase. Even for my cpapauction purchases, I just submit a copy of the "winning bid" email + a copy of my PayPal payment acknowledgement email, and they always pay. But, you could just call your FLEX provider to check. Can't imagine that they wouldn't pay.

Good luck!

Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

coldnose

Post by coldnose » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:41 am

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll do it. The administrator of my FSA Med Account can be a real pain. Getting a prescription is a great suggestion, I just don't think I can get one before I need to order.

Thanks again,

---gary

darthlucy

Post by darthlucy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:41 am

I think you should submit it, and I'd be very surprised if they didn't cover it. I looked at the IRS list as to what's eligible and what isn't, and virtually anything used to treat a medical condition is covered. Ineligible items would be things that are cosmetic in nature (e.g., tooth whitening products) or things used for general health maintenance rather than treating a condition (e.g., vitamins).

Joined the Hosehead Brigade on June 22, 2007

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:14 am

darthlucy wrote:Ineligible items would be things that are cosmetic in nature (e.g., tooth whitening products) or things used for general health maintenance rather than treating a condition (e.g., vitamins).
I use a number of supplements that are covered by my FSA. My doctor writes on his prescription pad which supplement and which diagnosis. So, for a dx of osteoarthritis, he might indicate glucosamine, chondroitin, SAM-e or MSM. For osteoporosis or osteopenia, it might be calcium, magnesium, etc. However, my multi-vitamin is not covered since it's not for a specific condition, but rather for general health maintenance as you state.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:48 pm

Do keep us posted! I never thought to try that. Makes very good sense. I don't seem to have a balance at the end of the year anymore since starting CPAP...

Good luck!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

coldnose

FSA pays for Battery!

Post by coldnose » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:47 pm

Just an update to let everyone know my FSA did reimburse me for my CPAP backup battery. Was no issue at all. Didn't need prescription.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions, this forum is great!

---gary

akcpapguy

Post by akcpapguy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Good to hear coldnose, getting a script is NOT the answer for getting your insurance to pay for battery backup. In 5 years I have had only 1 patient get his battery approved by his insurance. Infact about 3 months ago I had a park ranger who spends about 8 months out of the year in a cabin with a generator as his only source of electricity have his denied by BC/BS. We worked on them for about 5 months before he finally said enough I'll just buy it myself, he than tried to self bill and they denied that claim as well. Not trying to discourage anyone from trying, just advising you to be prepared to fight your insurance provider every step of the way.

DRONE

Post by DRONE » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:04 am

Hey, I just bought a new battery and it didn't even occur to me to get my FSA to cover it. Thanks for the idea. Though it probably means that I'll max out my FSA in June instead of July! My wife and I both have medical FSA's and we opt for the maximum amount every year, and every year we exhaust it early.

It's a bi*ch getting old!

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:12 am

isn't FSA your money anyway? Don't you lose it at the end of the year if you don't spend it all?

as mentioned IRS allows quite a bit, in fact if you had to you can early withdraw even a IRA funds and if it is used to pay medical or even premiums for healthcare they won't ding you with the taxes in addition to the 10% penalty.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...