Score another one for Rested Gal's Pantyhose!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Perchancetodream

Score another one for Rested Gal's Pantyhose!

Post by Perchancetodream » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:30 pm

My husband's Hybrid always seems to leak (loudly). It puzzled me because my pressure is sometimes twice his but my mask never seemed to leak like his did.

Well, he wears dentures during the day, but not at night. So when he falls asleep his jaw drops down and back and fails to support the oral part of the Hybrid which also drops down, causing the nasal pillows to separate from his nostrils.

He couldn't stand the chinstrap that they used during the sleep study with a nasal mask, but I knew we had to do something, so I finally pulled out a package of women's tights that I had mistakenly purchased years ago (the up side of being a pack rat!), and cut them up. Using one leg he was able to fashion a very comfortable chinstrap that gently cradled his chin and kept his jaw pulled up all night long.

And for the first time in some years, he slept for eight straight hours.

Thanks, Laura!

Susan

"If space is really a vacuum, who changes the bag?" George Carlin

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:33 pm

I always rely on Laura's Underwear to see me through Life's Challenges.

ALL HAIL LAURA'S UNDERWEAR!

LOL,
Babs

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:43 pm

ROTFL!!!

You all don't know how many times over the past three years I've WISHED I had used a strip of cloth cut from pajamas, a t-shirt ... something...ANYthing else.

Wouldn't have worked as perfectly as the you-know-what, but I wouldn't have forevermore had my name associated with...well....you-know-what.

Yup, yup, they work wonders....those you-know-whats.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:36 pm

Babette wrote:I always rely on Laura's Underwear to see me through Life's Challenges.
ALL HAIL LAURA'S UNDERWEAR!
LOL,
Babs
I second that emotion
GumbyCT wrote: Me too. I third ok

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

mtstromberg

Post by mtstromberg » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:08 am

Wow, her panty hose really gets around...

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:54 am

Could this be the reason I'm seeing more women at the malls shopping in one legged pantyhose? a sure sign of a cpaper.
Ed

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:09 am

You all don't know how many times over the past three years I've WISHED I had used a strip of cloth cut from pajamas, a t-shirt ... something...ANYthing else.
ah laura, thanks once again for a good laugh...as i was falling asleep last night, my headrest strapped to my head with my pantyhose/tights leg, i kept hearing those words and chuckling to myself

KansasRT

Post by KansasRT » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:21 am

As a B&M DME provider I am trying to find a way to bring up the pantyhose topic with patients from the get go. Imagine , "Here is your new CPAP and mask. By the way, if you cut up some pantyhose and wrap it around this part it will fit better." I have added cpaptalk to my information sheet and I have quite a few patients on Pur-Sleep. I guess I am saying that so you know I am a fairly open in helping patients, but I am not sure how to bring it up. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated. Sorry to hijack the thread.
I can say that Rested Gal's advice is really great. It is really neat to come here and see patients that care so much about their treatment. I don't always get that here. How special that you all are willing to share with everyone.

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:43 am

it's funny you should say that, kansasRT...in january i have to go for another sleep study, and the only thing i'm apprehensive about is showing up with my decapitated headrest, with the pantyhose strap and cosmetic pad on my forehead!

Catnapper

for the study

Post by Catnapper » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:51 am

Hey Sharon,

I recently had a sleep study and the techs were very interested in my modified mask. I have to say that they were impressed when I had no leaks and that my personal machine had predicted exactly the right pressure that the formal PSG determined. I made a believer of them! They even dug around and found a brand new Aura/Headrest mask to give me for free! (Nobody else wanted it because of the big headgear. Heheh.)

Anyway, you won't see them again - not to mention that they will see you in your pajamas!

Good luck with the study.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:03 am

KansasRT, I say, just put a link to a thread about pantyhose from cpaptalk on your tip sheet, and label it - "Tips on How to Custom Fit your Mask" and then just the URL. Let them find it themselves.

Or else do some sampling and find a fabric with the desired traits of pantyhose and suggest that.

Perhaps a length of some dancewear lycra from the fabric store? Go buy a yard of it and play with it, and see if it will work. If it does, then you can show them that, give them the link to RG's threads about pantyhose, and let them decide in the privacy of their own home what they want to use.

Cheers,
B.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:08 am

[quote="KansasRT"]As a B&M DME provider I am trying to find a way to bring up the pantyhose topic with patients from the get go. Imagine , "Here is your new CPAP and mask. By the way, if you cut up some pantyhose and wrap it around this part it will fit better." I have added cpaptalk to my information sheet and I have quite a few patients on Pur-Sleep. I guess I am saying that so you know I am a fairly open in helping patients, but I am not sure how to bring it up. Any advice would be greatly apprieciated. Sorry to hijack the thread.
I can say that Rested Gal's advice is really great. It is really neat to come here and see patients that care so much about their treatment. I don't always get that here. How special that you all are willing to share with everyone.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:38 am

LOL... well, yeah, leave out the word "pantyhose". Just call 'em "tights." A leg cut off tights.

That's what they are (tights...not pantyhose) anyway according to rooster's wife (she was right!!):
viewtopic.php?t=25590

I like ozij's suggestion. White's a nice medicinal color. Yes, do get rid of the little foot part, although I keep it on mine, for the extra bit of length for easy tying.

What's left will look like genuine, bona fide, FDA-ish looking medical equipment!

Heck, embroider a tiny "RG" at one corner and sell 'em at double the price!

See, I've learned from the cpap manufacturers. Less = more!

(Thanks for your kind words, KansasRT.)

Sharon, FLAUNT your gear at your next sleep study. Don't be shy! The tech will be thrilled to see someone sleeping so comfortably in a mask with so few leaks. You'll make their job easy!

I wore my get-up on camera two nights in a row. And with a taped mouth. No one batted an eye. At least not in front of me.

I think they were forewarned though.
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

sharon1965

Post by sharon1965 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:39 am

I wore my get-up on camera two nights in a row. And with a taped mouth. No one batted an eye. At least not in front of me.
here we go, another visual to keep me chuckling when i should be falling asleep

never fear, i will wear my get-up proudly at my study!

rested gal

Re: Score another one for Rested Gal's Pantyhose!

Post by rested gal » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Using homemade straps -- useful for stablilizing masks other than just the one shown.
Using one or two homemade straps with the Headrest nasal pillows mask.[/URL]
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435