Aerophagia; Better, Same, or Worse on BiPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Is your aerophagia better, worse, or the same?

Better
33%
Worse
No votes
The same
67%

Total votes: 3

krousseau

Aerophagia; Better, Same, or Worse on BiPAP

Post by krousseau » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:06 am

I had been thinking BiPAP would help aerophagia-now I'm not so sure.

If aerophagia occurs predominately during exhalation-I'm going to be on a higher expiratory pressure than I am now. Any degree of aerophagia that occurs during inhalation is going to occur under significantly higher pressure too.

During my visit to Stanford both physicians said, "It may help."; "It may not help."; "It may make it worse." So presumably aerophagia has some "personal idiosyncracies" that vary from person to person in how we respond to PAP treatment.

I'm trying for a three response poll on the question, "Is your aerophagia better, worse, the same? The group of people who I'm looking for is people who:

1. Started having aerophagia when they started CPAP or
2. Already had aerophagia and it got worse after starting CPAP
3. Switched to BiPAP

The sample may be small-I'm not doing rigorous research here.

Please list other things you do to manage your aerophagia in a post to this thread.

Last edited by krousseau on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

track

Post by track » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:48 am

My guess is very few people are going to fit the criteria for answering this poll. You must have experienced aerophagia, used cpap and used bipap. I fail on the bipap criteria as I am sure many others do and those few that have used both cpap and bipap might not suffer from aerophagia

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:17 pm

Yes-you are right I edited the original to spell that out more clearly.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Bamalady

Post by Bamalady » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:26 pm

No BiPAP, but I went from straight CPAP to an Auto with AFLEX, and that has helped with the aerophagia. My pressure on CPAP was only 8, but that was more than enough.

Maryb

aerophagia

Post by Maryb » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:01 pm

Bipap helped my aerophagia.
I was on autopap (ResMed S8 Vantage) for about 8 months and once I got my mouth leaks under control by using the Hybrid, I started getting aerophagia. I first tried dropping my pressure which helped a little. Then I went to Bipap. I still have some aerophagia but it's way less than it used to be which I credit to the Bipap (which is more comfortable on the exhale too).

Maryb

khvn

Post by khvn » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:23 am

Krousseau, I have no experience with bipap, but logically, it should help with aerophagia better than c/apap solely on the virtue that you are guaranteed to always be able to exhale at EPAP which supposedly provides a softer setting than possible with c/apap.

Maybe the fly in the ointment here is that, if I understand correctly, you have to go with a higher setting on a bipap? But why would you? I'm scratching my head at this. Maybe it's your new prescription?

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:37 pm

Yes-I had a BiPAP titration-the new numbers are beyond what I expected. The flip side is the levels do justify using the BiPAP so Medicare & insurance will pay. I thought I'd be paying for a BiPAP trial out of pocket.

CompuTech007

Post by CompuTech007 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Going from CPAP to my APAP made an amazing difference in this as my pressure is 14. The constant pressure with the CPAP after ramp up was horrible. I was bloated, face was puffy, etc. Not a good time at all.

EdAPAP

Post by EdAPAP » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:32 pm

BiPAP made a big difference for me. I used a Auto M with A-Flex for five weeks with max pressure of 18. I switched to an Auto Bi-PAP with C-Flex a couple weeks ago set for fixed pressures (non-auto mode) of 10 cm exhalation and 17 cm inhalation and it is much more comfortable than the APAP. Much less hyperventilation and bloating.