Another Time Around for the Newcomers...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
glassgal

introduction

Post by glassgal » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:29 pm

Hello,

I work for our family business. We make precision glass parts (small to very small tubes of glass -- from 1/4" down to several micron diameter) used in many industries from medical research & devices, to hermetic seals. I am currently doing reporting for our company and our sister company which makes air cleaners for large trucks (the big brushed stainless steel cylinders on the sides of many big trucks, next to the engine, below the mirrors). We have a rather cranky database that I am trying to extract information from. Or maybe I am the cranky one!

I have been on the hose since 1/10/05. I am feeling better slowly, but surely. I have found a good sleep doc and things are looking up!
Sleep well,

Jane

PB 420e -- 10-17 cm/H2O
heated humidifier
NasalAireII
Aura that I have deconstructed & am making a
new headgear for.

photogal

posted subject

Post by photogal » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:10 pm

Where do I start? Housewife, mother of three. Spent 5 years working for a Worman's Comp. division for Hartford, we insured Continental Oil Company. After that, 10 years as an Opthalmic Assistant. Taught folks how to use contacts, screened patients, etc.
My husband got transferred and after that I didn't work outside the home anymore.
I used to paint and sell watercolors.
Got into writing, sold a few pieces and have a fiction novel (suspense) moldering in the bowels of this computer. Took up photography seriously (was a hobby before) a year ago as I was gaining back strength from breast cancer treatment. My husband and I both do photography, and have set up a business. We hope to sell stock photos, while I also am specializing in portraits. You may be familiar with a photograph by my husband, which was on the cover of Newsweek. A picture of The Firefighter and Baby taken at the Oklahoma City Bombing.
I also create Swarovski Crystal & Sterling Silver jewelry, including watches with crystal bands.
During my life I've owned, rode, bred and broke a few horses, played golf avidly, water skied, snow skied and caught LOTS of fish.
I'm known as the butt of all jokes in my family, as it seems, somehow, that many of my endeavors have some hilarious components. Oh, well, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? I'm responsible for a certain "Platter Pull" device at one of the ski slopes in Colorado now being known throughout my family as "Mom's Splatter Pull."
Happy to meet you all.
Betty

seanconnery

Post by seanconnery » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:20 pm

When I was younger and had just become an associate professor, I decided to travel around the world for a year - bought a BWM motorcycle and started in Europe. Along the way I met wonderful people and during our conversations, I desperately wanted to tell what I did - I WAS A PROFESSOR!.

No one asked me.

I, turn, did not ask them what they did either. Over time, we got to know each other and have been friends now these last 30 years, I guess because, we did not start by determining socio-economic status (where you fit, relative to where I fit) in order to know how I might be percieved and vice versa. (We did, by the way learn what we did as a sidebar) This taught me several wonderful things - to disassociate who I AM from what I DO - they are not the same thing.

Erich Fromm wrote a book called BEING and HAVING which tells us that after the Industrial Revolution, our conversations and use of words changed from hte act or 'being' to the state of 'having'. We used to BE 'troubled', now we HAVE headaches (and so it being a product, can be gotten rid of).

Part of my joy in meeting all of you vicariously is to get to know you as people, without borders, politics, and socioeconomic labelling.

A little ramble and anecdote....

photogal

post subject

Post by photogal » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:55 pm

Very true, seanconnery.
I AM a headache. Just ask my family.

BuffaloAl

Post by BuffaloAl » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:32 pm

I'm a mathemathical consultant. I try to find solutions to problems with good old fashioned math. Teaching, writing and carrying a calculator wherever I go. But I haven't had a pocket protector since middle school. Honest. Maybe that's why I'm sitting here writing this at 9:30 on a Saturday night.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:43 pm

Trained and showed American Saddlebred horses and hackney ponies professionally for 17 years.

Was a professional show dog handler and dog breeder (Rotties) for 30 years.

Retired from the show ring now. Boarding and grooming at home.

The show ring days

IWannaSleep

Post by IWannaSleep » Sun May 01, 2005 4:20 am

I am an Electrical Engineer turned website designer... I'll spare you all the long and winding road of how that happened My last Engineering job was with Hewlett Packard/Agilent which is where I got my early training and experience designing, developing, managing websites. I now own an internet consulting business doing website design and software development, including all the various related services. I'm affiliated with a large international corporation but own my little piece of it independently.
9 cm h2o

CI_SeaWolf

Post by CI_SeaWolf » Sun May 01, 2005 7:54 pm

I work at an electric utility. I repair swtchgear and electrical equipment in substations. I work on voltages from 6 VDC to 500kv DC and AC voltage from 120 VAC to 230kv VAC. We work 4800 volts live! Now you can see why my doctor is wanting me to get all the rest that I can. As for hobbies, I love 4 wheeling, am building a dunebuggy, love to camp, and have a whole room in my house dedicated to my fishing tackle! Mrs. SeaWolf is going to graduate school for her MBA, she is an RN. We love to travel and dote on our two pomeranians....

nodding off

Post by nodding off » Sun May 01, 2005 8:10 pm

Hi all,
I'm a Systems Analyst for the Commonwealth of MA.
Diagnosed with severe OSA in 1995, titrated at 14. Had UPPP surgery(didn't work)
Use a ResMed Spirit with favorite of many masks being the Activa.
54 years young, diabetic and overweight (but working on it)
Married 30 years (my poor wife), 2 daughters, both grown and gone.
Scuba diver and golfer.

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun May 01, 2005 10:28 pm

I was a medical technologist (clinical lab scientist) for 12 years. That overlapped with getting an advanced degree in mol. biol. and now I work for a major biopharmaceutical company as a scientist. I've been a diagnosed and treated apnea patient since 07/23/99. But I was a misdiagnosed apnea patient for many years before that. The whole sordid tale should be posted at this week.

I'm a single mom to an extremely high maintenance 12 yo ADHD daughter. I'm a performing musician, have the science of Astronomy as a hobby, active triathlete (who is 50 pounds overweight, thanks to apnea and a blown and repaired right knee ACL), dream about SCUBA diving again and share Girl Scouts and community theater with my daughter. I'm also looking for a sugar daddy who wouldn't mind a hose head

I am much better than before I was diagnosed, but I find this disorder to be an ongoing struggle. My apnea is devastating for me. In addition to every normal response to apnea, I also get a weird arthritis. My Rheumatologist and I disagree that it is apnea related, but it only happens when I have been apneic several days in a row. However, it is a true inflammatory response. I moved 3 years ago and my new sleep doc. diagnosed me with RLS/PLMS. Then last year my apnea symptoms recurred, apparently due to needing an increase in pressure. We increased the pressure, but I was also opening my mouth (to get air I assume) so to be sure everything was covered, I got a full-face mask.

I've been in medicine for 30 years, know the language and thought I was a good self-advocate. But I figured that if I could get so misdiagnosed by "excellent" ignorant and uneducated medical staff, what happens to everyone else not in medicine and not as pathologically tenacious as I am? Therefore, I have patient advocate responsibilities and I appreciate the support as well.

VickiZsPlease

IWannaSleep

Post by IWannaSleep » Mon May 02, 2005 12:26 am

vicki, Maybe we should start a singles group for us single hosers eh. lol
9 cm h2o

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Mon May 02, 2005 5:39 am

Where do I start.
I am a mother of one 34 year old son, grandmother of two active soccer playing grandsons 13 and 10.

I am now disabled because I took prescribed meds the way I was suppose to, fell in succession of three times. I listened to then idiot husband broke my back in two places.

I am now divorced through a disillusion.

I have been seeing a great guy for a year now and engaged to be married in August.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Tampa Tom

Post by Tampa Tom » Mon May 02, 2005 7:14 am

I'm a public information officer for one of the largest counties in Florida, and I'm a 'star' on the government TV channel!

In my spare time, I woodwork, cook and watch lots of classic movies... Usually when I'm up late at night!
Take off you hoseheads!
---- Bob McKenzie (Strange Brew - 1983)

Remstar Auto with CFlex (5 - 15)
Swift Mask with Medium Nasal Pillows

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Mon May 02, 2005 2:45 pm

My turn. Everyone else's work sounds so much better.

Hope y'all are doing what you love, because I'm not.
I'm presently a cartographic editor for a map making company which specializes in street map books mostly for the East Coast. Have done this for three years, and it's incredibly boring and doesn't pay enough. Gripe, gripe, gripe.

I was layed off (I'm an editor and don't even know if I've spelled this right) twice, the first time to a long-time job at an engineering firm, doing the work engineers did, doing technical review of flood hazards and preparing the flood maps for FEMA for communities participating in the national Flood Insurance Program. Worked on this contract for a couple of decades .... bitter losing that job. Worked for a time as a marketing assistant preparing proposals and doing related tasks.

I have to include the volunteer project I worked on in my spare time for about 12 years before sleep apnea ruined everything. I worked documenting local black history of the Maryland region known as the Eastern Shore, birthplace of Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman. I conducted oral history interviews and collected anything I could find, primary material, documenting local history. I contributed the material to a local cultural center and small black history museum. I've written on these subjects, mostly compiling data that can be used by people tracing their family trees. I'm also a continuing Board member of this cultural center/museum. Very rewarding work, I just wish I could find a way to get paid to continue doing that work.

Sorry. If you live long enough and lose your job often enough, the list gets long.

Linda,
who wants to be a paid historian and teach on the subjects she love

CI_SeaWolf

Post by CI_SeaWolf » Mon May 02, 2005 6:38 pm

Linda, only 14 more years and I will be able to do what I want, retire! I am not my job, but have learned plenty of practical things there. I just want to have good health after I retire, so i'm glad I got on the CPAP ride when I did.