Info for anyone interested in Autopaps

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MeToo

Info for anyone interested in Autopaps

Post by MeToo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:05 pm

Warning to those interested in autopaps! Last week I purchased a Remstar Auto Cflex. I had previously tried a Resmed Autospirit that my DME loaned me -- it worked pretty well -- and assumed that all autopaps worked the same. Since this was a long-term purchase I opted to get the Remstar with all the bells & whistles. I was disappointed to realize that the Remstar didn't treat my apnea episodes as well as the Resmed. In investigating this online, I found a study conducted by French scientists that validates this. While the Remstar system appears to work well for the majority, some like me would do better on a different machine.
It looks like I'll be buying the Resmed Autospirit, so I have a week-old Remstar Auto Cflex with card reader, humidfier & the works that is available.

meister

I'll trade you -- Even up!

Post by meister » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:12 pm

My slightly used ResMed AutoSet Respond for that machine which is
not working well for you. Sound like a great deal? NOT!!

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:18 pm

Two things:

1) How much for the Remstar Auto? I am looking to pick one up, and I can't seem to get my doctor to give me my prescription. I have had a scrip in the past, so I don't think I'm violating the SPIRIT of the law, but I can't ask cpap.com to violate the LETTER.

2) What was different, and can you point me to the study you were talking about? I'd like to make sure I buy the right machine, when I do...

Liam, hopeful...

SleeplessinKC

Post by SleeplessinKC » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:20 pm

I'm interested in the software and cared reader. PM me if you'd be willing to sell (just) those pieces.
Mike

Respironics RemStar Auto w/C-Flex
Respironics Warm Humidifier
ResMed Mirage Swift and Ultra Mirage FF Interfaces (formerly Tiara SNAPP)
10' CPAP Hose

Liam1965

Re: I'll trade you -- Even up!

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:24 pm

meister wrote:My slightly used ResMed AutoSet Respond for that machine which is
not working well for you. Sound like a great deal? NOT!!
Meister, are you also a proponent of the ResMed over the Remstar?

I really wish there was some way to be sure before I buy mine. I'm flying without insurance on it this time around, and I really would prefer not to spend close to $1000, only to find out (like MeToo) that I really should have bought the PB420e or the ResMed AutoSet...

Or waited for the next generation ResMed that supposedly has their version of CFLEX (at least in non-Auto mode).

Have you read any of your famous links that give any kind of information on which types of sleepers fare better on which machines?

Liam, tired.

WillSucceed

Which one is better

Post by WillSucceed » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:57 pm

I think that this thread raises a really valid point: we all like to promote the machine or interface that works well for us and, sometimes, bash the ones that did not work well. Human nature at it's finest...

Decision-making which is as important as this stuff is really warrents careful thought and knowledge. "I wish that I had known then what I know now" -->an old lament.

Moral of the story is to do whatever you can to trial machines for a week or more BEFORE you buy. Put yourself in the position of being able to make decisions based on personal experience rather than anecdotal reports from others.

I spent $100. to trial a ResMed Spirit for a week, and was very fortunate to be able to trial the PB 420E and the Respironics RemStar Auto for free. I really wanted to buy the RemStar Auto as I already owned a RemStar Plus and heated humidifier; figured that I could get away with just buying the Auto flow-generator and would save some money. I found out that the RemStar Auto does not give me very good treatment. So I bought the PB.

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:59 pm

investigating this online, I found a study conducted by French scientists that validates this.
Ya, but who can believe a French scientist ?

Seriously though, please provide the link where you found this online.

I'd be interested in knowing who paid for the study....

Thanks
Trying is the first step towards failure.

MeToo

French study

Post by MeToo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:24 pm

I came across the study from a google search -- auto cpap responsiveness variation -- some combo of words like that. I didn't read the entire report (you have had to buy it) but in the summary I gathered that it was published in a scholarly journal and that they tested 4 machines which all performed differently. Unfortunately the summary didn't reveal the machines. You raise a good point about funding.

meister

Meister loves ResMed stock (RMD), but ...

Post by meister » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:30 pm

He couldn't get good treatment on either the AutoSet Respond or the
Spirit (the A10 algorithm problem similar to what ChrisP had experienced).
Meister got good advice and bought the PB 420e which seems to
work very well. But since meister has caught the "Rested Gal" disease,
now he has to have one of everything to keep up with the Jones. So it
looks like a nice new REMStar will be arriving in the meister household
after he gets finished with his new VPAP III. Just got to stay ahead of
Rested Gal!! LIAM, if you really need help, just PM me, and we can
get you what you need. Everyone on this forum desperately misses your
great humor!!

MeToo

Multiple machines

Post by MeToo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:49 pm

I'm think I'm getting this addiction as well, and can justify getting a backup machine, but my wife will understandably question the need for more than 2 machines. "Honey, I'm sorry...no vacation this summer, Resmed is coming out with a new machine!"
I'd like to get the PB 420 and try that as well. Someone out to open a hotel that offers multiple machines. I like a room with king bed and a RemStar!

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:40 pm

Well, I don't know about great humor. I had some blood and other bodily fluids drawn, and the doctor said my humours were average at best.

But it looks as though I will be rejoining the ranks of the blown. (No, honey, if you're reading this, I'm NOT giving away personal information about our lives again! I'm talking about an APAP).

It'll be nice to own the thing, rather than that horrid renting situation, because that way if I decide to not use it for a stretch of time, I don't feel like I'm wasting the rental on it.

I expect I'll probably do a lot of "few days on, few days off", trying to slowly increase the number of days ON the hose and decrease the number OFF. I think what killed me last time was trying too hard to be 100% compliant, and ending up completely not sleeping for days at a time. If I do an "every other night" sort of thing until I find that the nights ON are now better nights than the nights off... Maybe that'll work better.

I sure hope so!

Liam, he's back, and better than.... well, better than phlegm, but that's not saying much.

BuffaloAl

Re: I'll trade you -- Even up!

Post by BuffaloAl » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:23 pm

Have you read any of your famous links that give any kind of information on which types of sleepers fare better on which machines?

Jeez, you guys ( and gals ) are amazing fountains of information. Liam, where are these links? I don't even know what type of sleeper I am!

BuffaloAl

Post by BuffaloAl » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:25 pm

Liam, I tried to "quote" you. Don't know why that didn't work.

Re: Which one is better

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:15 pm

HI!
No insurance or DME that I spoke to and asked would allow me to try one for a wk or so, see how I like it. Here in the good ole USA$, you rent it, buy it, borrow it, or forget it. I asked and frankly had the lady at the DME and my insurance laughing when I said, can I rent it, return it, get any $$ paid out refunded. They said a big NO, sanitary reasons, etc. So if a nice DME like our dear Christine out there, allow patients to try it, that'd be just great.........
Then comes into play, which mftr gives the best breaks, deals, luncheons to the DME's, ad nauseum.
The bigger question I'd have is, if allowing returns is the norm, how can we as patients ensure we are receiving a ''new'' machine, versus some previously owned and breathed-into clunker that's been returned?

If any DME's are allowing patients to ''try'' one out, I'd sure like to know it and do business with them.
WillSucceed wrote:I think that this thread raises a really valid point: we all like to promote the machine or interface that works well for us and, sometimes, bash the ones that did not work well. Human nature at it's finest...

Decision-making which is as important as this stuff is really warrents careful thought and knowledge. "I wish that I had known then what I know now" -->an old lament.

Moral of the story is to do whatever you can to trial machines for a week or more BEFORE you buy. Put yourself in the position of being able to make decisions based on personal experience rather than anecdotal reports from others.

I spent $100. to trial a ResMed Spirit for a week, and was very fortunate to be able to trial the PB 420E and the Respironics RemStar Auto for free. I really wanted to buy the RemStar Auto as I already owned a RemStar Plus and heated humidifier; figured that I could get away with just buying the Auto flow-generator and would save some money. I found out that the RemStar Auto does not give me very good treatment. So I bought the PB.

So Glad.........

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:18 pm

you're back. Hope you do well! We enjoy hearing your postings and have missed them..........
Liam1965 wrote:Well, I don't know about great humor. I had some blood and other bodily fluids drawn, and the doctor said my humours were average at best.

But it looks as though I will be rejoining the ranks of the blown. (No, honey, if you're reading this, I'm NOT giving away personal information about our lives again! I'm talking about an APAP).

It'll be nice to own the thing, rather than that horrid renting situation, because that way if I decide to not use it for a stretch of time, I don't feel like I'm wasting the rental on it.

I expect I'll probably do a lot of "few days on, few days off", trying to slowly increase the number of days ON the hose and decrease the number OFF. I think what killed me last time was trying too hard to be 100% compliant, and ending up completely not sleeping for days at a time. If I do an "every other night" sort of thing until I find that the nights ON are now better nights than the nights off... Maybe that'll work better.

I sure hope so!

Liam, he's back, and better than.... well, better than phlegm, but that's not saying much.