Decapitating a Twilite NP mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:18 am

Got 0.4 AHI with the chopped down version of T NP last night, stayed in position when sleeping on my back or side. Used two pantyhose strips one across the forehead, one across the nasal pillows. I do have to go back to wearing my chin strap cause even though no major leaks recorded, the line was erratic. all in all a round disk of makeup sponge under the forehead area and was very comfortable, all tips received from this great forum. Might have to give my Swift 11 a deserved rest.
Ed

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:47 pm

I did a slightly different modification to the Headrest. I didn't want to take the height adjustment off since it seemed to add some stability and leverage. I will likely get a Headrest as my 6 month replacement mask, so then I might do regular modification with the two straps. But for now, this one is working for me.

I put instructions on how to do this at this link:
viewtopic/t26221/Yet-another-modificati ... ht-NP.html

I've gotten my best numbers ever with this mask, very consistent and very stable. Better yet, I think I sleep more soundly since I sleep in a more natural position, as a side sleeper. My neck's in better shape, too.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Cool, Ed! Glad it worked for you! It's nice to be able to realllly snuggle down into your pillow, isn't it?

That's an interesting way to do it, Rose. I can see how that could work too...maybe even better for some.

(What will they think of next!?)
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

tangents

Post by tangents » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:11 am

Hey, Ed, glad to welcome you to the Twilight Zone! I'm 6+ months with my de-cap, and find it really comfortable. I use TWO circular makeup applicators on my forehead - somehow the angle is better for the seal. I also use fabric instead of tights, a soft leopard-print (VERY sexy ) knit cut across the grain so that it has plenty of stretch. I tie one just above my eyes, and one just below my eyes. (OK, not so sexy...)

Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

Cathy

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:57 am

[quote="tangents"]Hey, Ed, glad to welcome you to the Twilight Zone! I'm 6+ months with my de-cap, and find it really comfortable. I use TWO circular makeup applicators on my forehead - somehow the angle is better for the seal. I also use fabric instead of tights, a soft leopard-print (VERY sexy ) knit cut across the grain so that it has plenty of stretch. I tie one just above my eyes, and one just below my eyes. (OK, not so sexy...)

Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

Cathy

tangents

Post by tangents » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:41 pm

Ed,

I have more material than you could imagine. I'm a quilter, and have a fabric collecting illness. My kids will probably lose their bedrooms to my material stash as soon as they leave for college!

That said, I would be HAPPY to send you some strips for you to try. No sewing required, I just tie them on. They last longer if you double them, so that's what I do (they are 60" long, so I fold them in half). PM me your address and you'll be on your way to a sexier ninja!

Cathy

ozij

Surprising but true

Post by ozij » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:29 pm

I have discovered that I need different sized pillows with a decapitated mask.

Medium with the headgear. Large with a decapitated version.
The large with the headgear are not comfortable at all, the medium in a the decapitated version leak.

(I just confirmed this again last night - switched back to the headger version to enjoy the feeling of having no straps touch my face).

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:41 pm

Wow, I've had to play catch up !

Three previous Lab Rat Award winners are getting additional plaques for their Headrest mods:

Kathy - the little "footie" is a clever way to keep the silicone nasal assembly from being in contact with your face.

Denny - your ball cap mod looks as stylish with the Headrest as it does with the ComfortLite 2 you originally designed it for. Great idea!

Rose - that's a neat alternate way to decapitate a Headrest mask.
More pictures of Rose's modification are at:
viewtopic.php?t=26221

All three of you get Lab Rat Award plaques to display alongside your Lab Rat Trophies!

LINKS to Lab Rat Trophy awards
viewtopic.php?t=15104
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435