CPAP is ruining my teeth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
linda b

CPAP is ruining my teeth

Post by linda b » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:17 pm

Had my regular 6 month teeth cleaning yesterday and they took bite wing x-rays that showed 8 spots that have to be filled that were NOT there 6 months ago. The dentist asked me if any of my medicines had changed that could possibly be causing my mouth to be dry. I said no, but what about being on CPAP for the last year and a half? "That'll do it" he replied.

Seems as if the constant air blowing into the mouth keeps the teeth too dry and allows the decay process to rapidly speed up. He was not at all surprised that this was happening and advised me that it would continue and to get ready for a bunch of crowns down the road. I can't tell you all how thrilled I was to get this news!! An estimate for $1100 just to fix the current problems and then each crown costs about $900. Needless to say, I'm getting dental insurance ASAP.

Just thought the rest of you might like to know about this problem, that my dentist thinks it is a common problem, and that after about a year of using a CPAP the rapid decay starts showing up quickly.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Linda B.

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:39 pm

Linda, is it possible that you are mouth breathing? The only time my mouth is dry is when I mouth breathe. Do you use a humidifier?

Once I began taping, my mouth was no longer dry. The air goes in my nostrils and down to my lungs. Not much goes into my mouth, except for a few cheek puffs.

I'm not taping these days but using an alternative procedure I described on another thread

viewtopic.php?t=25851&start=30

I'm just using the First Aid Hurt Free Wrap but no chin strap. I also use a humidifier. Without that everything would dry out a lot.

A while back I was on a medication that dried out my mouth and did get more cavities. My last dental visit was fine and I'd been using the cpap for about 5 months at that time.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

GeneS

Post by GeneS » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:51 pm

I use a snorban with my cpap. I wear it to help stop mouth breathing. It would keep air from blowing on your teeth. It also keeps teeth from grinding. You sound like you could be mouth breathing. Cpap does not work if you mouth breath It is not easy to get used to but it seems second nature to me now after a number of years of use. I do not know if this is right for you but it is another option to consider.
GeneS

ColoradoDreamer

Post by ColoradoDreamer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:15 pm

I suppose CPAP could have an impact on a person’s dental health but have not heard it associated with causing cavities before. It could be a number of things that cause decay that you may want to consider. A dry mouth from a full face mask I can understand but it shouldn’t be a problem with a nasal mask…unless air is leaking out the mouth. Is your mouth dry when you wake up in the morning with the nasal mask?

Another more obvious cause for increased decay is a person’s daily dental and mouth cleaning routine. I personally go through a routine each night which includes flossing, mouth wash, brushing and the waterpik. Then I put on the mask. If I were to drink juice or wine just before bed without rinsing or brushing I would be assured to have cavities at the next dental visit.

A not so obvious cause is the dentist. I fired my dentist (pre-CPAP) and went back to a dentist I had years ago. My old dentist didn’t understand why I needed root planing to all four quadrants per the recommendation of the fired dentist [expensive even with good dental insurance]. If fired dentist saw I had spots on the xray he would fill them all. My old dentist would watch them if they were small. Those he had watched he never ended up filling. He would comment on their status on follow up 6 mo. visits. Fired dentist was constantly getting new dental gadgets and I was no doubt paying for them with unnecessary dental work every time I went in. I too got several crowns from fired dentist which I have since wondered if I really needed them.

I’ve seen the Dentist 3 times since being on CPAP and just had bite wings done last month and have been cavity/spot free each time.

A good dentist is like finding a good DME......hard to find!

linda b

Post by linda b » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:20 pm

No, I do not mouth breathe. I've used Polident Strips since the second night and have almost no leak problems. One thing I have noticed is that before APAP I was quite a drooler. Now I don't, even during a couple of naps when I did not use the strips. I have Encore Pro and my leak numbers are right in line with my mask.

Yes, I do use a humidifier, but just as a passover. East Tennessee is so humid that if I use it at even #1 I'll have rainout problems (and yes, I have my hose covered and hung above my head.) I asked the dentist about trying to increase the humidity and he said it would not make enough difference.

I forgot to mention that he prescribed a special flouride toothpate for me to use every night and not rinse out. Hopefully it will help.

Linda B.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:41 pm

I vote mouthbreathing, If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, hide your bread scraps. If you can please post your dailies from Encore Pro (page 4 type) Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Dry mouth and cavities

Post by kteague » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:52 pm

For your reference discussion of subject in April 2007

viewtopic.php?p=160412&highlight=cavities#160412

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:01 pm

With a heated hose you can add humidity to the cpap air with less rainout.
And a heated humidifier used as a passover humidifier supplies less humidity than a real passover humidifier - so you're shortchanging yourself.

I would trust your doctor on the diagnosis - unless I had a special reason to do so, I would not trust him to know about how to make cpap air as humid as possible - so I doubt he know what the effects of maximal humidity are.

In order to have humid air supplied, without rainout, at my low pressure, I use
  • A heated hose
  • A hose cover (snuggle hose) on top of the cover supplied with the heated hose
  • Layers of finger gauze to cover the narrow tube that goes from the main hose to the mask
All three are necessary. Its worth it.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:07 am

what good are your teeth if you have heart failure and die from CHF or suffer a stroke?

So you loose a tooth, big deal there are always implants and dentures. People have been losing their teeth for eons before cpap was ever invented.

dehydration, GERD and many other factors can contribute to drying of the mouth including simple mouth breathing.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

MidnightOwl

Post by MidnightOwl » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:21 am

I've had this problem too. My understanding is that anything that dries your mouth out will increase cavities. I've also found that cpap dries my mouth when I know I haven't been mouth breathing. You may be able to compensate for the dryness a bit by making sure your teeth are really clean (brushing and mouthwash) before going to bed. And maybe cleaning them again if you get up during the night.

If you find anything that works better please post it because I'm not looking forward to increased dental work either.

midnightowl.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:21 am

How about using an artificial saliva product. Biotene products are good-Colgate also puts out a line of dry mouth products.

Dentists are expensive and dental insurance is expensive unless you have a large copay. Good dental care is becoming unaffordable to many Americans-we have a growing crises in dental care. Maybe we don't make such a ruckus about dental care because we don't see it as essential-teeth are expendable?!?!?
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Re: CPAP is ruining my teeth

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:35 pm

linda b wrote:........

Seems as if the constant air blowing into the mouth keeps the teeth too dry and allows the decay process to rapidly speed up. ......
If you are not leaking or breathing through the lips, then there is no constant air blowing through the mouth. You may have air pressure in the mouth but this will not cause dryness.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:46 pm

Brushing and flossing the teeth last thing just before bedtime are paramont. In addition, as mentioned earlier, there are the Biotene products which are very good. GSK, who makes Sensdyne toothpaste have an excellent mouthwash, Oasis, specifically for dry mouth. There's also a handy little gadget: G.U.M, Go Between Cleaner which is a REALLY miniature toothbrush used somewhat like a floss in that it is tiny enough to go between teeth for those hard to reach places.

Your dentist should show you your exrays and where your most difficult spots are. He should be able to provide you w/a red "toothpaste" that will leave residue you can easily see when brushing to make the difficult to clean areas obvious.

Yeah, teeth can be replaced but the replacements aren't as good as the real thing. Dentures "ain't" cheap and implants sure as the devil aren't cheap either. A co-worker had several done at $1000 a tooth several years ago.

Keep a bottle of water at bedside and any time you wake up during the night take a healthy swig and rinse and moisturize your mouth well w/it before swallowing and going back to sleep.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

ZZZzzz

Post by ZZZzzz » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:24 pm

I already wear a combination night guard/retainer.

I sure notice I clench my teeth a lot more when there is any extra pressure
any where at all around my mouth.

That's a sure sign I need to loosen up my straps.

Usually it's after I've washed it and I didn't get it put together like it was before.

-Bev
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regrets; for I am far surer of what is kind, than I am of what is true.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:35 pm

MidnightOwl wrote:I've had this problem too. My understanding is that anything that dries your mouth out will increase cavities. I've also found that cpap dries my mouth when I know I haven't been mouth breathing. You may be able to compensate for the dryness a bit by making sure your teeth are really clean (brushing and mouthwash) before going to bed. And maybe cleaning them again if you get up during the night.

If you find anything that works better please post it because I'm not looking forward to increased dental work either.

midnightowl.
How do you know you are not mouthbreathing? It happens when you in the deepest sleep.

I suppose you could hire someone to watch you breath, and then hire someone to keep him awake so he can watch you.

I use the data and software to determine what I am doing and when, because when I'm asleep, I'm not awake to do it for myself.

Maybe a better way would be to tape a whistle in my mouth, and put a tape recorder by my bed. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire