Another use for the silicone putty

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mtstromberg

Another use for the silicone putty

Post by mtstromberg » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:28 pm

I read a thread a few days ago regarding using silicone putty earplugs to fashion a better seal for face masks. It seemed to me that might be just the thing for my twilight np mask as well. My nares are long slots instead of the ideal round shape so nasal pillows don't fit quite as well as they could.

I took about a quarter of one plug and split it into two pieces that I rolled into donut shapes and placed around the pillows. They immediately created a perfect seal, while also making the them even more comfortable. In the morning, the putty had molded itself to my nares, creating a custom shaped set of pillows!

Thought I'd share.

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 am

Great news! So how did you feel this morning after sleeping with a fully sealed mask all night??

Kajun

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:58 pm

That's a great idea! I have a few pair of these in my drawer. I'm going to try them tonight, but as a silicone cushion on a spot that hits my nose.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Sounds like a great idea. I have a Liberty and been having leaking problems around my nose, hasn't affected leak that much but the noise bothers me. Will try tonight and see how it works

mtstromberg

Post by mtstromberg » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:52 am

Same here. The leak rate was low, but sometimes the noise or the draft was annoying. I am also sleeping better, so maybe it was bothering me more than I realized. I never had a problem comfort-wise before, but I have to admit that they are really, really comfortable now!

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 am

Stromberg.....

Please let us know the brand name of the silicone putty.....and where we can purchase it. I've never experimented with the stuff and I'm really interested in seeing what I can do with it.

My lady is now on the hose....and I'm trying to help her with leaks. She has slotted nares and we're having trouble.

Thanks!

Gerald

Idget

Post by Idget » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:56 am

I use Mack's silicon ear plugs. Can find in most pharmacies. Comes in a 4 or 16 box. They last a while. Works really well for seal on my liberty mask.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 pm

I found the Mack's silicone plugs at WalMart. I believe there were 6 in the package and was around $4.50.

mtstromberg

Post by mtstromberg » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:59 pm

Mack's is what I used. $3.99 for a set of 4 at Walgreens. I only used about 1/4 of 1 plug to make both rings, so the small package should last a good long time.

Btw, it will stick to you the first time you use it, but just be careful removing it and it should stay on the mask. By the second use, it had lost it tackiness and came off easily while still providing a perfect seal.

Vonon

Post by Vonon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:02 pm

Doesn't it come off when you clean your mask in the morning? I'm going to get some today and try a fix tonight

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks for the info! We'll start experimenting this weekend.

Gerald

Idget

Post by Idget » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:22 pm

I take it off every morning. Roll it back in a ball and put it back in the plastic box. I have used the same silicon roll for a week at a time with it as effective as the first time. So far I only throw it out and get a new plug since just for hygene reasons, thinking one week on my face it should be thrown out.

Suz-E-Q

Post by Suz-E-Q » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:32 am

I have a Swift II and tried to use the silicone last night. I tried several times to put it on and didn't have any success. At first I think I used too much, then when I brought it down to a smaller portion I couldn't get a good seal. I played with it for over 30 minutes, but just couldn't get a seal while it being comfortable. I haven't given up...I will try again...I love the idea of being able to read with the machine on, so when I fall asleep I don't have to wake myself enough to put the gear on.

Question MTSTROMBERG: Did you put it at the base of the nose pieces? middle? big enough donut so your nares were inside, or on?

That might help me get it right.
Thanks
Suzanne

Suz-E-Q

Post by Suz-E-Q » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:40 am

Also: I noticed that I might need the smaller size too. I have a medium and I think the nose pieces are a little too far apart for my nares. But this was a "gift" from the sleep center (she gave it to me as a "parting gift") and I don't have the small nare piece.

mtstromberg

Post by mtstromberg » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:45 am

I made a two rings about 1/8" thick or so, and then flattened them out a bit, and stretched them to make the center hole large enough to fit around the end of the pillow. The idea is to have the silicone ring at the point where your nostrils make contact with the pillows.

I simply made them wide enough to be able to seal, and then just put it on. I didn't worry about it being perfect, because I new that it would soften and conform to me when it warmed up.

The pillows don't go very far into my nose anymore, and if fact hardly extend past the silicone, but it doesn't matter. The fit is so good that they don't leak, don't move and are very comfortable.

Mike