Ultra Mirage FF Vs. Flexifit HC431 FF Masks....Which One?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Ultra Mirage FF Vs. Flexifit HC431 FF Masks....Which One?

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:31 pm

I just ordered an ResMed Ultra Mirage FF mask last night. It will be here tomorrow, but after reading some of the recent posts about leakage and valve whistling with this mask, I'm getting scared I may have made the wrong choice. I planned to go test fit these masks at my DME, but they say I have to get a doctor's RX to get a fitting appointment. Anyway, if any of you have tried the Ultra Mirage FF or the Fisher & Paykel Flexifit HC431, can you tell me your thoughts re: these two masks? Which one do you prefer and why? Help, please...before I (possibly) make a big mistake selecting the wrong one?

Thanks all,

SleeplessinKC

Post by SleeplessinKC » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:37 pm

"Guest"...a.k.a. SleeplessinKC.
Mike

Respironics RemStar Auto w/C-Flex
Respironics Warm Humidifier
ResMed Mirage Swift and Ultra Mirage FF Interfaces (formerly Tiara SNAPP)
10' CPAP Hose

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:48 pm

Resmed anything beats the HC431 . If you like noise from the exhaust, Squeeky parts and no sleep get the 431. Also, The 431 fits under the chin effectively closing the mouth. Why get a ff mask if it closes your mouth. Even if you don't keep your trap shut the air blasting into it will dry you out .

My 2 cents. Avoid the 431.

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:30 pm

I fight the Mirage every night, because for some reason the adjustment doesn't stay adjusted on the head gear, it leaks and squeaks and my poor future husband keeps asking me if I am farting. Now if this is such an excellent mask why do I have this problem and the problem of obscene noises.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

SleeplessinKC

Post by SleeplessinKC » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:41 pm

Chrisp and Severeena:

Thanks for the reviews. Understandably, the fit of any OSA headgear is a very subjective experience. In the hopes of making this a bit more objective discussion, have either of you been able to try both masks?
Mike

10' CPAP Hose

glassgal

This is off topic! Don't read it if it will annoy you!

Post by glassgal » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:26 pm

Sleepless in KC, I just have to let you know that your avatar is interesting, but it really creeps me out! Don't get me wrong -- I am a BIG sci-fi fan -- but it really gives me the willies!
Sleep well,

Jane

PB 420e -- 10-17 cm/H2O
heated humidifier
NasalAireII
Aura that I have deconstructed & am making a
new headgear for.

JerryR

Post by JerryR » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:48 am

SleeplessinKC wrote:Chrisp and Severeena:

Thanks for the reviews. Understandably, the fit of any OSA headgear is a very subjective experience. In the hopes of making this a bit more objective discussion, have either of you been able to try both masks?
SleeplessinKC: I own both masks and I can't get either one to seal properly. The HC431 has to be tightened so much that it causes my face and head to hurt - and it still leaks - and I don't care for F&P's idea of forehead cushions. ResMed's are much better IMHO. However, no matter how much I tighten the Ultra Mirage FF, it leaks and makes burping and farty noises all night. So far, the only thing working for me (and working is a relative term for me - I've yet to get a full night of uninterrupted sleep) is the Activa with a Topaz chin strip.

SleeplessinKC

Post by SleeplessinKC » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:55 am

Thanks for the review, JerryR. I like the Swift, but (for the first time) this morning I woke up with a heck of a dry throat. I think I'll pickup a chin strap too.

So far, looks like the unofficial FF mask poll results are:

Ultra Mirage FF = 2
Flexifit FF = 1
Mike

10' CPAP Hose

Whitey

Post by Whitey » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:44 am

I have tried both........

As stated before "masks are a very subjective issue".

I STRUGGLED with the Ultra Mirage for about two months with no luck...leaks and whistling noises....it always ended up in the floor.

The FlexiFit was an instant cure for my problems, very comfortable....I don't have to tighten the straps at all, no noises, no leaks. Maybe those having problems with the F&P could try loosening the straps instead of tightening them....just a thought. I like the fact that it helps hold my mouth shut almost like a chin strap, only better.

My problem with a nasal interface and chin strap was that even though my chin was held closed, my lips would blow open allowing air to escape, and make loud farting noises (sorry, but I couldn't think of a nice way to put it right now) waking me up and drying my mouth and throat to the point of hurting.

With the F&P mask my chin stays closed and my lips don't have blow outs because there is equal pressure on both sides, no mouth noises, no dry mouth or throat. I even quit using my humidifier, HALLELUJAH...what a hassle that thing is, distilled water, cleaning, sanitizing.

I'm very happy with the F&P but, unfortunately, it seems that you'll have to figure out for yourself which one works for you instead listening to us ramble. Good luck!

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:17 am

Whitey:

Chrisp wrote re: the HC431, "Why get a ff mask if it closes your mouth...". That kind of makes sense to me, being that the only time I would wear it is when I was having trouble breathing through my nose. What has been your experience re: this issue. Does your FlexiFit hold your mouth shut? If not, is the seal compromised when you open/close your mouth to breathe?

Whitey

Post by Whitey » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:44 am

Anonymous wrote:Whitey:

Chrisp wrote re: the HC431, "Why get a ff mask if it closes your mouth...". That kind of makes sense to me, being that the only time I would wear it is when I was having trouble breathing through my nose. What has been your experience re: this issue. Does your FlexiFit hold your mouth shut? If not, is the seal compromised when you open/close your mouth to breathe?
It only holds my mouth shut lightly, not nearly as tight as I needed my chin strap, which would cause me to wake up with my teeth hurting and give me headaches. I still seem to be able to breathe through my mouth when my sinuses are partly plugged, there is enough flex in the mask to let my chin open a small amount when needed and still not leak. I don't know what will happen if I'm totally plugged up, guess I'll just have to wait and see....but for now it has made all of the difference in the world for me.

By the way:
I have a ResMed Spirit right now on a trial basis, and it showed my leak rate at 0.32L/s last night....I don't know if that is good or bad...perhaps someone else can tell us if I have a significant leak that I don't know about.

Chet

plangster

full face mask

Post by plangster » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:49 am

I have tried all of the full-face masks except the Hans Rudolph, which I am about to order. H-R has the BEST customer service and a unique measurement caliper to help determine mask fit. They make the top seling mask in Europe. I'm hopeful this might be the one for me. Otherwise,
The ComfortFull gave the best fit at the nasal bridge, but leaked everywhere else on my face.
The Flexi-Fit leaked too much overall and I did not like the attachment clip system. I could not get a very tight seal, but the under-chin design did not prevent me from opening my mouth enough to breathe freely.
The Ultra Mirage FFM is the one I use nightly, but I have problems with leaks into my eyes, even though I use the shallow size cushion. It is important to note that, in my experience with three Ultra Mirage FF masks, the production quality varied tremendously. The first mask is virtually flawless: quiet, no squeeks or noises. The second was noisy, leaky, and completely unacceptable. I insisted on an exchange and received a replacement which is as good as my first one. Quality control and production problems, I assume, but how would anyone know this if this was their only experience with the Ultra Mirage FFM? In other words, many people, I think, assume that a noisy, leaky Ultra Mirage FFM is just the way it is and when they ask, they are told the mask is not defective, but that they need to adjust it differently, or reassemble it more carefully, or just live with it. Sometimes, it is not the user's problem, but faulty equipment.
By the way, be sure when you receive your Ultra Mirage FFM that it is sealed in the original plastic from the factory. Truly new masks are shipped that way.
Good luck. You will need perseverance and patience and pots o' cash, but you will find a mask that will work for you, not perfectly, but good enough.
plangster

Whitey

Post by Whitey » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:13 am

Plangster, well put and good info, perhaps I'll give the Ultra Mirage another try at some point in the future....I didn't realize it, but as you said quality control does not seem to be there. Maybe I just got in on a bad run of masks....I know it happens in my business.

I would be interested to know how the H-R turns out....keep us posted!

Last edited by Whitey on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CareS

Resmed FF mask

Post by CareS » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:12 am

Hi Guest, I have an Aptiva Nasal Mask which is excellent. A month or so ago, I came down with a bad cold and bronchitis and decided I needed a full face mask so I could breathe through my mouth. I bought the Resmed Ultra. It leaks and whistles (and some other noise that sounds somewhat like someone passing gas. lt leaks so bad that the leak reading on my resmed elite cpap machine reads "very poor" no matter what I do. So I tightened up the mask and woke up with indentations on my face that lasted a good half day. I personally hate that mask and wonder if I am getting any benefit from occasionally using something that leaks so much. But this is my opinion for whatever it is worth. Good luck finding something that works for you. CareS

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:28 pm

ResMed Ultra Mirage FF is what I use when I have a cold or congestion and really need to breathe through my mouth. Suits me fine.

I don't use a FF mask to try to control mouth air leaks. I use tape for controlling mouth air leaks, so I can wear the masks I find most comfortable - Aura, Breeze, and Activa. I don't think I'd like a FF mask that "helps" keep the chin up. When I'm congested, I want a FF mask that allows me to drop my mouth open for completely relaxed full breathing through the mouth.

I used the Respironics ComfortFull full face mask for quite awhile - was leaky and hurt my nose.

Bought a "small" Hans Rudolph, new at about 1/3 the usual price, on Ebay once. That mask lasted about 15 minutes before hitting the discard drawer - leakiest thing I ever tried to use and was huge on my face, even though it was, indeed, a "small".

The Ultra Mirage FF is a very good one, imho. But, of course different masks suit different faces.