Comfort Curve Showed Up Today!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
There

Comfort Curve Showed Up Today!

Post by There » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:40 am

I didn't think it was supposed to be out until the end of the month, but I got the notice last night that it had shipped. UPS delivered it this morning along with my husband's new computer.

In person, it does look less medical and clinical. The Y hose seems a bit bigger than it did in the pictures online. But everthing else seems to be in order. I honestly like the default blue/grey it comes in.

First blush, I'm having trouble fitting it. Straps are cushy and easy to place, though it makes my hair bunch up a bit awkwardly at the crown. Not sure how best to angle the cheek pads for optimum seal on the nose as well as comfort, and the directions don't really give *direction*. They just say to do it until you reach a comfortable position - well, comfy would be with no mask at all folks But the nasal cushion truly is a thing of beauty. It's like I have nothing on my nose at all, just a soft pressure. Once I get the cheeks sorted out, hopefully I can say that about the rest of the mask as well, though I'm thinking my cheekbones may not like it.

Anyhow, will post once I've had a chance to sleep in it!

Tina
RemStar M Series Auto w/C-Flex, many masks (ComfortCurve, Comfort Lite, MirageSwift, lots of personal mods)

limpy

Post by limpy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:43 am

On behalf of the entire board...

I ask you to take a nap instantly and report every detail of your experience back to us.

bigcat

Post by bigcat » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:55 am

Thanks for the quick report. Waiting for you to take a nap is like waiting on Santa Claus

wading thru the muck!

Re: Comfort Curve Showed Up Today!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:00 am

There wrote: It's like I have nothing on my nose at all, just a soft pressure. Once I get the cheeks sorted out, hopefully I can say that about the rest of the mask as well, though I'm thinking my cheekbones may not like it.
Tina, We are ALL waiting to hear from you (seemingly the lone lab rat on this one). Did you fit it under pressure or without hooking it up. I am interested to hear how well the new seal system works. I also am interested in how the cheek pads feel and whether or not they work to stabilize the nose piece. Does the package come with velcro straps to fasten the two hoses to the headgear for those that like to run them up and over their head?

I hope all goes well for you!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

There

Post by There » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:05 am

I haven't had a chance to try it with pressure yet. I'm telecommuting and in a meeting for at least another hour. As soon as I can get away from it, I'll run upstairs and hook it up to see how it does with air flowing. I've been sitting here at my desk fidgeting with it during my meeting, and at one point, I stuck the other end of the Y hose into my mouth just to see what it would be like if I blew air into it myself. I am officially a dork.

Just call me Squeaky the Lab Rat!

Tina
RemStar M Series Auto w/C-Flex, many masks (ComfortCurve, Comfort Lite, MirageSwift, lots of personal mods)

ChicagoCpap

Post by ChicagoCpap » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:09 am

I thought I was the special one getting a notification that it will arrive on Friday... you must have selected the overnight delivery feature on your mask.

Don't know where you ordered your ComfortSelect mask, but mine was ordered from http://www.cpap-supply.com , so this provider is now shipping these new masks.

Hopefully you don't get this reply until you are done with your nap Tina *wink*wink* so that you can review this new mask!

-mjl

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:11 am

There wrote:I haven't had a chance to try it with pressure yet. I'm telecommuting and in a meeting for at least another hour... I've been sitting here at my desk fidgeting with it during my meeting, and at one point, I stuck the other end of the Y hose into my mouth just to see what it would be like if I blew air into it myself.
I hope this meeting is not a video conference
Sincerely,

53now

Post by 53now » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:17 am

Hey Tina .....................I feel like I'm listening to that music on "Final Jeopardy" ...... just waiting for that moment of truth.

Thanks for posting ................. OOPS, almost forgot my vow not to buy another new mask

Rich

There

Post by There » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:31 am

I ordered my Comfort Curve from CPAP.com, and yeah, I had it overnighted. We're DINKs, so I figured I'd waste the money on speedy shipping in favor of the chance my sleep might improve even more. Now that I've gotten over the fear of the mask, I like having the power of improving my sleep in such a direct fashion. It's already like getting a new toy.

Like I said, I'm a dork

Meeting's almost done, and, no, wading, it's not a video conference. Though I had to be sure to keep the mute on my phone so they didn't hear the Darth Vader noises!

Tina

UKnowWhatInSeattle

Post by UKnowWhatInSeattle » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:01 am

Tina, you're cracking me up. Sure, I shouldn't be looking at the forum while at work, but you're doing it (and dinking with the new mask) during a teleconference. That's very impressive dorkadence!

Let us know how the beast works!

UKWIS, with much respect.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:19 pm

Tina and mjl -- how cool that you two will be lab-ratting the Comfort Curve so soon! Will be nice to hear first hand experiences from message board denizens instead of hand-picked marketing "testimonials".

Will be most interested to hear how it seals if you sleep on your side and turn from side to side. And whether it's easy to route the hose upward, as so many like to do.

On behalf of broke lab rats everywhere, thanks!

"dorkadence" !! I love that, Seattle!!

ooops, just now noticed in another thread that the mask you ordered, ChicagoCpap, is an older model Respironics mask -- the Comfort Select. I thought you had typo'ed "Comfort Curve". Hope it works well for you.
Last edited by rested gal on Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There

First try...

Post by There » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:15 pm

I've never *liked* my other two masks, but I've never thrown one across the room before. I hurled the ComfortCurve about fifteen feet. I really, really looked forward to trying this mask, and I am very disappointed.

God, where to begin? I tried all five side adjustment positions with all three nose cushions and could not find a fit. I do not have an unusually small, large, curved or flat face.

The nose cushion comes in three sizes once the air is flowing: so small I suck the flaps into my nostrils when I try to breathe, so big air flaps around it, and somewhere in the middle - so I suck it up my nose AND air leaks.

I cannot get the cheek pads to sit anywhere that's comfortable while also having my nose seal off. The pads ride up my cheekbones and mash my cheeks up into my eyes until I feel like my eyes are being forced shut from below. If the pads are situated comfortably, the mask doesn't seal.

Loose or tight, I still get air leaks. And if I move, the leaks change position.

The silicone cushions on the cheek pads popped off three times while adjusting the fit and once just from taking it off. The adjustable side pieces adjust right off if you're not careful.

The hoses whistle, and the air vents disperse onto my face - at least, I think they do. I could never get it to a point where I didn't have a leak to be 100% sure. Definitely will require I turn up the humidifier's heat if I can find a comfortable position for the mask. The air flow seems much colder than the exact same airflow when passed through my ComfortSelect.

The nose cushion is really nice and soft, I'll give them that, and it sure is comfy. The head gear is squishy soft and friendly. And you can see great with it on (when your eyes aren't being mashed shut). The hoses are much lighter. It comes with the velcro strap/clip so you can hook it to your pillow or nightclothes. The travel bag is shiny and feels durable, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it stylish

It does not come with the extra headgear clips that allow you to route the Y hose upwards. I tried doing so without the clips just to see how it feels, and either the hoses were in my eyes or - if I followed the lines of the headgear - I heard whistling on one side.

So, right now, I would NOT recommend buying the Comfort Curve. I'll keep trying. Maybe there's something I missed, but I am mechanically inclined, and I read all the manuals and watched the videos on their website. Maybe it would work for someone else, but I'm beginning to feel that it's not going to work for me. It's been ten minutes since I took it off, and I still feel my cheeks pushing upwards.

*sigh* I'm really disappointed right now, and I'm so wired up from fighting the thing that now I can't take the nap that I really could have used!

Tina
Last edited by There on Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcat

Post by bigcat » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:40 pm

Thanks for the information Tina.

I threw an activa across the room and broke it. Now it is my favorite mask

I know how you feel, it is very frustrating.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:19 pm

Tina,

WOW! ... I had my suspicions but it sounds like it's a big loser! I wish I could get my hands on one to try (without wasting $150). I wondered if it would seal well. I hope you find the magic bullet to fix it. Maybe you have it on upsidedown, sure sounds like it.

P.S. Cute picture! ... is that you throwing the comfortcurve across the room?
Sincerely,

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:41 pm

Haven't we learned from respironics not to buy any mask that has comfort in its name ! Its a trick ! Comfort Curve