Talking in your sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LavenderMist

Talking in your sleep

Post by LavenderMist » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:22 pm

Anybody else talk in their sleep? Have you come up with any solutions to keep from causing leaks? What type of mask do you use? I've been told I talk in my sleep a lot and sometimes yell and have even woke up doing it. I apparently talk out my dreams. Before cpap days, my husband told me I alternated between snoring and talking. What fun for him huh? lol Seriously though, I've tried a chin strap, two different face masks and have no idea what to do.

justplainbill

Post by justplainbill » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:27 pm

My own experience was that with either nasal pillows or a nasal mask that the effect of opening my mouth (to talk or otherwise) would effectively wake me up. I believe that I naturally learned to keep my mouth closed. I am not a real frequent talker, however, nor am I much of a mouth breather.

Best wishes,
Bill

LavenderMist

Post by LavenderMist » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks Bill. I find it interesting that you use Comfortgel and Swift II. I've used many masks and keep going back to the Comfortgel. Last night I tried the Activa again, but woke up and slapped the Comfortgel back on. I've been seriously considering the Swift II for a couple of weeks now because you have less on the face. I wake up now with the imprint of the entire mask plus strap marks on my face now, lol. I can't plan on going anywhere when I immediately wake up because of it.

Suz-E-Q

Post by Suz-E-Q » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Huge talker here. When I start to talk I do wake myself up. Or what will happen is I start with the puffer cheeks and wake from that. On vacation with my sister 2 weeks ago she said I talked very nicely one morning....I didn't let any air out and was very clear. Then I closed my mouth and start breathing again through my mouth. But a morning prior to that she did say one morning it was a very garbled air speak. Then she told me I started to do Indian Chanting??????

I don't know the answer...I use the Activa...it is okay but feels to big. Wonder if I should try the Comfortgel.

Amontilado

Post by Amontilado » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:35 pm

Does having conversations with another person when one isn't conscious count? Been told by my wife since we've been together, and my mother when I was still living at home, about conversations, albeit simple ones, where they asked me something or to do something, but don't remember when I'm fully awake (but Honey, I asked you if this was ok, and you said yes...). Needless to say, I can't get away with nuthin'

Steve

linda b

Post by linda b » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

In the days BEFORE xPAP, I talked in my dreams quite a bit. It wasn't just an occasional word, either. I would expound on the weirdest subjects as if I was a college professor. There didn't seem to be any subject that I didn't know everything about -- as long as I was asleep!! I can remember beginning to wake up and would try to keep the talking going just a little longer because it was the only time I ever felt that smart!!!

But since going on APAP, I don't think I've spoken out once. I do have some pretty good dreams, but nothing like those!

Linda B.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:16 pm

Suz-E-Q... Indian chanting huh? That is interesting. Some people really like the Comfortgel. I have trouble with leaks with it. If I tighten it down then I get the mask imprint on my face and strap marks. I tried loosening it the other night and woke up in the morning with a big leak making face fart noises and my cat in my face staring at me. I've tried the Activa several times and can't get comfortable with it either. I'm going to try the Swift II I think. I've had quite a few nasal masks and two full face mask and can't get it "just right" yet.

Amontilado... my son does that all the time. He has actually gotten out of bed and done weird things and doesn't remember, lol. I told him something one morning and he got up and went to his computer chair, bent down and acted like he was working on it with a screwdriver and got back in bed. He woke up later with absolutely no recollection of it, lol. My kids used to get me before cpap with that asking permission thing when I was asleep. Fortunately, I've not let any incriminating information sleep in my sleep, lol.

linda b... that is interesting that you were actually lecturing in your sleep. I'm not sure, but I think my talking may have reduced some since cpap. I do know that I haven't done any more yelling in my sleep. My dreams seem to be more pleasant with cpap. Before I had some pretty scary ones and that is when I would wake myself up talking or yelling with my heart pounding. I've been told some of my talk is garbled and some is crystal clear.

LavenderMist

Post by LavenderMist » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:19 pm

forgot to log in again.

That should have read:
Fortunately, I've not let any incriminating information slip in my sleep, lol.