Dental Guard for night use.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mommaw

Dental Guard for night use.

Post by mommaw » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:07 pm

My dentist wants to make me a dental guard to wear at night. Since cpap, I have begun to clinch my teeth at night to the point that I now have a loose tooth. She says she does not know what affect wearing the guard will have on my ability to get a good mouth seal. I do not mouth breath, but am apparently gritting my teeth in my sleep. Maybe I have started this to keep a good seal? Does anyone have any experience with this guard or any opinions on how it will affect my cpap treatment? I do not have dental insurance so will be out of pocket, around $400. If this is going to mess up my cpap treatment then I will not get the guard since I have to have my cpap.

Any advise is greatly needed and appreciated.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:12 am

sure he does, go down to Longs Drugs, get the boil-n-bite guard for $20 bucks, follow the directions.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

mak

Post by mak » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:37 am

I use a dental guard every night and it has had no effect on my treatment.

amos

Post by amos » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:47 am

I have been wearing a dental guard during the day but not at night. I have the tendancy to clench my teeth while driving or in other stresssful situations. I also paid over $400 for it.

I agree with snoredog. Go to the drug store or athletic store and buy a sports teeth guard. It is a lot cheaper and may work just as well. The only differences are that you will have to replace the store bought one from time to time and the one from the dentist will exactly fit your mouth.

Of the people that I have chatted with who use a dental guard at night, none have said that it helped them to stop mouth breathing. Yours may help some, but you still may get some exhaled breath flowing out - causing you lips to flutter and sound like a horse.

Amos

mommaw

Post by mommaw » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:19 am

Thanks for the replys. I will take your advise and get a boil and bite one and see how that works. Makes a lot of sense to me. And a whole lot cheaper.

Gilda

linuxgrl

Sleep Right Select

Post by linuxgrl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:54 am

I've just started using the Sleep Right Select mouthguard and it totally rocks. My tooth grinding was getting so bad that I was waking up with sore spots on the side of my tongue from where I was biting down on it. I've tried the boil and bite ones in the past but this one is much more comfortable. Check it out! It will run you about 40 bucks but I think it's absolutely worth it.

Chris61

Post by Chris61 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:53 am

Have you looked into getting a mout device that would assist in regards to your sleep apnea. You can go to this site for more information http://WWW.Sleepapneadentist.com. I am looking at switching from the CPAP to this type of device. I will know more after my apt. on the 9th.

Chris

mommaw

Post by mommaw » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:31 pm

linuxgrl,

Thanks for the link. It looks like it will do the trick and it says it is sold at Target so I will check to see if they have in stock. If not I can order it. Are you able to maintain a good seal when using it?

Chris61,

I have not considered the dental devices for my apnea. I have read some post from people that have them and they just don't appeal to me. I am very happy with the results I get with my apap. Average AHI is usually under 1.5 and with all the added creature comforts available on this forum, i.e. Pur~Sleep, Pad-A-Cheek, Aussie Heated Hose, I am quite comfortable in wearing my mask when I sleep. I hope you have good luck with the dental device if that is the route you choose.

Gilda

linuxgrl

Post by linuxgrl » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:02 pm

Well, to be honest, I was never able to get a good mouth seal even with nothing in my mouth, so I'm not the one to ask about that. I tend to breathe through my mouth a lot so when I use my Swift II I have to do mouth taping, chin strap, the works.

BTW I bought my mouthguard at target too so hopefully they'll have it at your local store.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): swift, seal