very dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
StephenS

very dry mouth

Post by StephenS » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:25 pm

I have been using cpap for 9 months. Have Ultra mirage nose only mask. Use requip for periodic leg movement. Have very dry mouth, to the point where I have trouble speaking during the day. Have a humidifier on my cpap. Also have very difficult time falling asleep, but biggest issue is terrible dry mouth. Suspect I may be mouth breather. any advise.

LDuyer

Post by LDuyer » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:37 pm

Hi and welcome!

I'm guessing you have a heated humidifier, right? And that still doesn't help? You might consider a full face mask if you do think you're a mouth breather. I understand there are special straps to help keep the mouth shut, but that's one alternative. Hopefully something will work for you, and hopefully others will have some more suggestions here.

Linda

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:46 pm

Has this happened from day one or is it a recent occurance?

As Linda said, a heated humidifier can make a bigger difference, however if you are strictly mouth breathing, it can only help so much.

Some other things to look at also, are:

Do you have nasal congestion? IF you do, that can cause mouth breathing.
Do you have abnormal anatomy? IE Deviated septum etc.

Tell us a bit more and we might be able to suggest something.

In the meantime one of the best solutions might be getting a full face mask. (Such as the Resmed Ultra Mirage).

bigcat

Post by bigcat » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:49 pm

I have that problem as well. I have a heated humidifier, none of the abnormal stuff or other health conditions that could cause it.

My leak last night was .18 L/sec at max. pressure and .04 L/sec at 95th pressure which I believe is much to small for mouth breathing?

I have an Autoset spirit with heat set on 3.5 out of 6. Anything higher causes rainout.

Maybe someone had this and the higher heat setting with a heated hose helped, would love to know. I drink 2 twenty oz bottles of water then some gatorade just to feel normal again in the morning.

Edit to say... I use an activa nasal mask and would really like to avoid the full face.

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:08 pm

You might want to try one night putting a strip of tape on your mouth ( with enough folded over at the end to give you a way to grab it to take it off easily ) to see if it's mouth-breathing that causing the dryness.

I first used a nasal mask, couldn't get to sleep, and had a sandpaper dry mouth and throat. Used the tape one night and felt normal in the morning.

Also switched to the Swift and Infinity masks which are much lighter on the face and head, with no apparatus on the forhead at all. Still have to use the tape -- especially if very tired. I read in bed before going to sleep w the mask and machine on as a transition. Knowing my mouth and throat won't be dried out, improves my attitude about going to sleep.

If you read up on dryness from cpap use, it seems it is not only uncomfortable but should be corrected.

With either of those masks and even the tape, I sleep well now -- and knowing I will sleep well, it's easier to ease into sleep. Being a Night Owl, it's alway been hard for me to call it a day..

Also, named my machine "Tina"

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:26 pm

bigcat wrote:I have that problem as well. I have a heated humidifier, none of the abnormal stuff or other health conditions that could cause it.

My leak last night was .18 L/sec at max. pressure and .04 L/sec at 95th pressure which I believe is much to small for mouth breathing?

I have an Autoset spirit with heat set on 3.5 out of 6. Anything higher causes rainout.

Maybe someone had this and the higher heat setting with a heated hose helped, would love to know. I drink 2 twenty oz bottles of water then some gatorade just to feel normal again in the morning.

Edit to say... I use an activa nasal mask and would really like to avoid the full face.
The low humidifier setting could be causing some of it. (along with some mouth leak) Try running the hose under the covers and maybe up the temp in your room a bit and up the humidifier.

bpoe689

Dry mouth

Post by bpoe689 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:34 am

Diabetes also causes dry mouth. If you are diabetic, check your sugar often. This is an indication that something may be a little off.

Becky, also a dry mouth diabetic
I just had my first night of sleep study. My questions is, when I have the gastric bypass surgery and lose weight, will I still have to wear this equipment? I have not received all results, but oxygen level did go down to 76. That they did not like.