CRAFTY CPAP'RS Homemade Hose Covers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:45 am

Thanks to the plastic bag tip I was able to use one of the covers I made yesterday and it worked very, very well. And I think some of the turning recommendations are going to make that much, much easier too--thank you! I was trying to use a wooden dowel (I could remember that much about turning tubes, but not much more) but now I think I can improve how I do it. The safety pin tip and a string will work for me, I think! I think I will be able to do it now.

I just ordered the aura/headrest blah blah and I know its reputation for rainout so I am motivated to get the rainout I'm having now under control. I just have to have a mask that doesn't touch my face.

My plan is to make tiny covers for the parts of the aura if that is possible. I haven't seen one in person yet.

And if I have to, I'll get the aussie hose. I am reluctant to. I am not sure why (this probably sounds crazy) but I'm afraid of that contraption. Wires with a flexible hose. Heat combined with water. I don't know. I am afraid of electric blankets too, so there you go. Probably sounds crazy to most people. Does anyone every get shocked by these things?

Thanks for all the tips. I pasted them all into a document to put in my sewing room for future reference.

Jen

Catnapper

covers

Post by Catnapper » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:04 am

I put a cover on the Aussie heated hose, and a cover on the hose of the Aura whatever mask. I further put a little cover on the mask itself to keep the sides of the mask from touching my skin. Now all I have are the pillows touching the nose. It is not a look I care to publish, however. When I had a sleep study recently, the tech laughed at my outfit.

It works, it is comfortable enough, and there is very little pressure on skin and bones. Condensation still forms, but does not bother me.

I keep the humidifier at 3 and am too warm unless the room gets chilly. I don't like a dry set of nasal passages. I wish I could add more moisture with less heat. I may get a stand alone humidifier someday.

I made the hose covers from fleece, and the mask cover from cotton t-shirt knit. I didn't need for it to be warm, just a barrier between mask and skin.

Catnapper

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:32 am

Good news-bad news about superinsulated hose covers. I made one using ripstop nylon for the lining-thinsulate-a reflective layer and the outside layer fleece. Made it about 7 inches wide. Easy to turn because of ripstop layer. Made an 8 inch ripstop cap for the hose end and it slides right through.
First the problems and solutions:
It is heavy so I attach it to bedding.
It has a lot of mass-the heat from the tubing cannot warm it up-I had the worst rainstorm the first night I used it. The next night I put it on a heating pad under the covers on the bed so it would be prewarmed before I started up La Machina.
Most of the time I just use a simple one layer cover & run the hose under the bedding. But on very cold nights when the sleeping cottage is in the forties-it has been in the thirties-so I get out the super insulated hose prewarm it and it takes care of rainout.
It has gotton so cold I was sure I frost-nipped my nasal membranes from the cold + wind chill factor-took two weeks to get nasal passages back to normal. The super cover when warmed eliminates that problem too.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:25 am

Jen.....

I use the Aura....and I've found that the "rainout" is caused by moisture in my exhaled breath. I'm not finding condensation in the hose...it's in the nose-piece of the mask....between my nares and the exhaust port.

Relative humidity in the bedroom is about 45%, temperature is about 75 degrees, and my M-Series humidifier is set on "2". Rainout is minimal.

I shake the moisture out of the Aura in the morning....then, connect the hose to a gentle blow drier....powered by a computer fan....that dries everything out during the day.

Finally, if you need a design for an overhead swinging arm, PM me with your regular e-mail address....and I'll send photos. I use a modified, swinging plant holder arm from Lowe's. Works great.

Gerald

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:39 am

as Ricardo Montalban might have said “rich Corinthian leather”
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

kathshrn

Hose Covers and other crafty ideas

Post by kathshrn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:06 pm

I made a hose cover for my husband out of the soft micro-fleece. Works great! I have the swift 2 and the headgear is really bothering my face. So, in a moment of brillance ( I don't get those very often) I decided to try a pair of baby socks, the thick bootie type with elastic at the top. I snipped off a little bit of the toe and slipped them over the headgear pieces that are along my cheeks. It works great and seems to stay in place pretty good, I guess you could sew along the side of the sock to make the "tube" narrower and fit tightly to the headgear but, that means another seam and more pressure on my face. The socks are soft and if you have friends who have kids they probably have some baby socks that have been outgrown. However, 4 pairs for 3.00 was not bad either.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:46 pm

[quote="Gerald"]Jen.....

I use the Aura....and I've found that the "rainout" is caused by moisture in my exhaled breath. I'm not finding condensation in the hose...it's in the nose-piece of the mask....between my nares and the exhaust port.

Relative humidity in the bedroom is about 45%, temperature is about 75 degrees, and my M-Series humidifier is set on "2". Rainout is minimal.

I shake the moisture out of the Aura in the morning....then, connect the hose to a gentle blow drier....powered by a computer fan....that dries everything out during the day.

Finally, if you need a design for an overhead swinging arm, PM me with your regular e-mail address....and I'll send photos. I use a modified, swinging plant holder arm from Lowe's. Works great.

Gerald

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:59 pm

I would love having a hose cover made that soft faux mink material. That would be cushy and comfy I think. Very sensous!

RosemaryB

Post by RosemaryB » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:18 pm

I made a cover for the tubing part of the Aura. I'd bought some headbands to use for "mouthbands" but they didn't work, so I cut one of them at the crosswise seam. It is the right length for the Aura tubing. This was a stretchy one, but I may try one of the polar fleece headbands that I have around the house over it as the winter progresses.

I had horrible rainout with the aura when I had hose rainout, too. Now that I got rid of the hose rainout there may be a few drops of water in the aura, but nothing major. It makes sense that this is condensation from breathing.

Thread on how I overcame aerophagia
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3383 ... hagia.html

Thread on my TAP III experience
http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t3705 ... ges--.html

packer

aura cover

Post by packer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:12 pm

I have a cover for small hose on aura-- and then we sewed a couple pieces of polar fleece around small hoses that come down aroound nose

I am not sure the "nose covers" make any difference- I got a new nosepiece and havent covered it- doesnt rain - so perhaps no difference???

I also want to comment on something someone else said-- to agree that perhaps the moisture exhaled causes the rainout-

another thought-- ambient humidity also is a large factor-- when your cold drink leaves a big ring on table-- when its really sticky-- rainout is worse-

anyhow-- aura twilight is best mask for me-- it just seems too bad that we have to go to such lenghts to use it- in my case a heated hose and a fleece cover just to make it workable -- and it still is my favorite!!! packer

SleeplessInOhio

Try Velcro!

Post by SleeplessInOhio » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:24 am

Just slice the cloth tube open and lay a line of self-sticking velcro along the edge! Much easier to take off when you want to clean it too.

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” Stephen Hawking

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:18 am

What a good idea, SleeplessInOhio! Nice tip.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

velcro

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:09 am

I also tried using velcro for the 6 foot hose, it made it stiff and noisy. That ripping sound velcro makes happened as the hose bent or moved in bed with me.
Velcro also picks up bed lint, and washing machine dryer lint, which reduces it's holding power over time.
I'd say, go fo the slide on tube or a zipper.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:14 am

Just my two cents - I think ya'll are over thinking the fleece tube cover.

I have no idea how wide mine is. I laid the tube on a chunk of fleece, wrapped it around LOOSELY, then added an inch for seams, and cut. I had to piece it together at one end, because my fleece wasn't as long as I wanted, since I wanted to "scrunch up" the fleece. I pieced, sewed a long seam, and left about 3-4 inches UNSEAMED at the ends.

Turning a tube this wide should be no problem with just fingers. I had no problem. If you have problems, hand it off to your kids.

I sewed velcro closures on each end, but I don't recommend that. Pain in the butt, and I found just using an outer Velcro one-wrap works great, and doesn't pick stuff up in the washer.

Mine is wide enough that I can drop the tube in with no problems at all. I velcro it shut, and there's just enough "scrunch" to the length to give it some added layers of warmth.

Not only does it keep the rainout at bay (not 100% but better than nothing) it DRAMATICALLY decreased the noise from the hose rubbing against my wooden headboard. Oy vay!!!

So, my suggestions - cut it wider, and make it longer. The scrunching action will bring it closer to the hose and create more layers to trap warmth. The wider cut will allow smooth and free insertion and removal of the hose.

And Jen, if you want Minky for your next version, holler. Tell me if you want chocolate brown, turquoise blue, or baby pink.

Cheers,
Babette

odawa

Post by odawa » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:31 pm

when I made my cover, I sewed elastic to the ends. It made it harder to pull over the rubber connectors. I wouldnt advise it. I didnt want to use velcro, I was afraid it would stick to my head sometimes lol What I ended up doing was getting some rubber bands and putting that on both ends. It works like a dream and is very easy to take off.
I put the fleece covering over every hose, including the one that goes along my head, and I use little fleece pieces as cushion wherever I could. My mask has a rubber part along the top, so I just threaded the fleece through. It works great.

----------------------------
WAAHHHH!!! I'm so tired.