Sugar - I'm addicted

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamDiver

Sugar - I'm addicted

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:06 pm

It's true. I'm a sugar fiend.
I've found that when I drink an entire Sonic chocolate shake with crushed whopper malt balls, my Apnea and Hypopnea indices soar.

Salt does it too.

Anybody else notice this?

j.a.taylor

Post by j.a.taylor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:09 pm

Ummmm . . .

Would you quit reminding me about all my bad habits?

Do you have a spycam attached to my machine?
John A. Taylor

jennmary

Post by jennmary » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:13 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmm milk shakes.....wait, what were we talking about? kidding. I havent noticed anything like that. Salt makes sense though. Too much salt can make you retain fluids so you swell slightly. I suppose if the inside of your throat were even slightly more swollen it would cause an apnea increase???????

Now I want a milk shake dang it.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:21 pm

Didn't want to get back out tonight so I did the next best thing and had a dish of Beyer's natural vanilla ice cream with Hershey's syrup.

Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

NeedinZs

Post by NeedinZs » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Do you think it's just chocolate, or all sugar?

A friend of mine has never been able to eat chocolate, because she says she can't breathe (gets totally stopped up feeling) if she eats it. Maybe it's a food allergy or sensitivity.

Have you had your glucose levels tested lately?

Like you, I can't imagine a life without chocolate.

lilsheba

Post by lilsheba » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:16 pm

I'm reading these as I sit here eating two hostess old fashioned donuts LOL. But I had an icky day at work, and have been working ungodly long hours lately so I think I deserve it

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:46 am

j.a.taylor wrote:Ummmm . . .

Would you quit reminding me about all my bad habits?

Do you have a spycam attached to my machine?
lilsheba wrote:I'm reading these as I sit here eating two hostess old fashioned donuts LOL. But I had an icky day at work, and have been working ungodly long hours lately so I think I deserve it
NeedinZs wrote:Do you think it's just chocolate, or all sugar?

A friend of mine has never been able to eat chocolate, because she says she can't breathe (gets totally stopped up feeling) if she eats it. Maybe it's a food allergy or sensitivity.

Have you had your glucose levels tested lately?

Like you, I can't imagine a life without chocolate.
I'm not -- NOT -- allergic to chocolate! NOOO000ooo...!
I don't think it's the chocolate, because I can eat semi-sweet dark chocolate pretty much with impunity. I think it's the sugar. My doc says I'm not borderline diabetic, but sometimes I wonder...

I'm basically trying to corroborate experience - if others are having trouble with sugar, it would help me know what to look for.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 am

Ummmm... Dairy products cause an increase of phlegm. Did it occur to you you might be congested from that?

Cheers,
Babs

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:53 am

DreamDiver wrote: ...snip ...
I'm basically trying to corroborate experience - if others are having trouble with sugar, it would help me know what to look for.
Sounds to me you are looking for an excuse to carry on with your bad eating habits.

Sugar is bad ... nothing good about it!

Sonic is bad ... nothing I know of good about it either.

Shakes are bad ... nothing good about those.

Whopper malt balls are bad ... need I say more?

Having all bad those things together ... hopefully you will corroborate that your eating habits are killing you slowly ... just like untreated OSA does.

Best wishes.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:02 am

DreamStalker,
What you just said is all too true. Our being overweight is just as bad, if not worse, than untreated osa. I'm one of the stupid bad overeaters!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:22 am

Sorry, I don’t mean to imply that people who eat poorly are stupid … they are not. It’s just that most people are never taught how to eat properly … I never was. When you are young, the body is capable of taking the abuse but as we grow older, we have to become kinder and gentler to our bodies if we want to live into a healthy old age.

I experimented with drugs, ate poorly, lived wildly and took unrealistic risks during my late teens and early twenties .. but if I tried to do that now I would surely die within a week. Growing old is an art in lifestyle change.
Last edited by DreamStalker on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

msheda

Post by msheda » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:23 am

DreamStalker wrote: Sugar is bad ... nothing good about it!

Sonic is bad ... nothing I know of good about it either.

Shakes are bad ... nothing good about those.

Whopper malt balls are bad ... need I say more?
Put them all together, what do you have?

YUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

(ok, I know, I shouldn't encourage bad habits, but those look really good on the commercials, thus far I have resisted temptation... but.. but.. but..)

lvwildcat

Post by lvwildcat » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:59 am

OMG!!!!! This thread sounds so good and is making me VERY hungry!! I have to keep telling myself-gastric bypass on Dec 6th;gastric bypass on Dec.6...

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:11 am

I hate you people, no I have to go to Rita's for a large Gelatti.

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:17 am

I think most Americans are addicted to sugar and that is obvious by our bulging waist lines.

We also don't know anything about PORTION control.

My body is a definite testimont to both of the above even though I fight it. Currently I am working out regularly but because of the TYPE of food I eat I don't lose weight. I am trying to get with the program.

As to the original post, I bet it really is the milk and phlegm problem that Babs suggested.