CPAP and ears.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: CPAP and ears.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:19 am

I have not personally had hearing problems related to CPAP,
but I have discovered that the quality of hearing aid contributes greatly to comfort.
Avoid heavily advertised brands--to avoid litigation, I can not mention them here--but they are CRAP!
People who get these terrible things rarely wear them.
I have had both Phonac and Widex digital hearing aids with advanced sound processing--both excellent brands.
My 3 year-old Widex has 10 channels and programs that use both front and back mikes;
as well as wind noise and feedback removal.
I use BTE for the longer battery life and longer life of the aid, as well as nothing trapping moisture in my ear.
Maybe I'll upgrade in a year or so to one with bluetooth so I can leave my phone in my pocket.
Expect to pay a couple thousand dollars or more for a really good hearing aid.
I bought mine at the university speech and hearing lab--no commissions.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:20 am

Depending upon your preferences and needs, you can get assisted hearing device for only a couple hundred bucks, and if you already own an ipad/iphone, for only $10. Search google for "iphone = hearing aid", then look for item on the first page from scienceroll..com. The app, SoundAmp, can boost the frequencies you need, can playback up to 30 seconds of sound, and let's face it, it just looks plain cool. You'll be just like the people using the earbuds plugged into their iphones for other apps.

Very high tech, very low cost. Plus, I'd like to know which of those multi-thousand dollar hearing aids can keep your calendar, a list of contacts, your shopping list, birthdays of your friends, play games, browse the internet, etc.

Let the nattering nabobs of negativism chime in here!

Adore Life

Post by Adore Life » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:02 pm

After having part 2 of the sleep study with the CPAP /on a Monday night; Wednesday morning I wokeup to my right ear having the sound of the ocean. Luckly I had an appointment with ENT on the following Thursday to get the results from part 1 of my sleep study that I did two weeks prior. I explained to the ENT Dr. The problem I am having in my right ear. I have never had ear problems that I can ever remember. He sent me to have a hearing test. Diagnosis: Sudden Sensorineval Hearing Loss. He put me on PREDINISONE (Steroids) for two weeks hoping my hearing will return. That's where am at now. ENT Dr. feels it was not the CPAP mask that cause this sudden loss of hearing. I strongly belive it was the CPAP. My next visit in two weeks I will take another hearing test and I will be refusing the CPAP mask.

teknomom

Post by teknomom » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:09 am

Adore Life, If you truly do adore life, think twice about giving up Cpap.

because: "They Call the Wind Maria"
from the musical "Paint Your Wagon"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG4rxHgq ... re=related
PS: I love my "Wind", Maria

Quest

Post by Quest » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Many problems blamed on the CPAP machine may be due to lack of cleaning of the mask and hose. Itis vitally important to be meticulous in the cleaning of the mask and hoses as dangerous biofilms can form and the pressurized air can seed these bacteria into the nose, sinus cavities, bronchi and lungs. It is an excellent idea to have several mask and hose sets so that the patient can always have a clean assembly available. This is from the Mayo Clinic

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:28 pm

This ancient thread seems to have resurfaced again; compliments of a few
individuals looking for an excuse to not use their CPAP.
Hearing damage due to pap pressure is quite rare,
and it is very likely results are from other causes.
Remember, many things you read on the internet are NOT TRUE.

barkinghills

Post by barkinghills » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:25 am

I've had trouble with my CPAP pushing my eardrums in the wrong direction. My doctor(s) don't have any suggestions as to what to do. No ear infections but my ears have not been the same since I started on CPAP 9 months ago. I feel so much better otherwise (with normal sleep and all), that I use my machine every night despite the discomfort. Good luck with your ears. I'd be interested to hear if you learn anything from your doctors about this.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:34 am

Adore Life wrote: Wednesday morning I wokeup to my right ear having the sound of the ocean.

Hubby drove the RV to the beach while you slept?

foothillbilly

Post by foothillbilly » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:58 am

I have had ear issues for over forty years and have been using a CPAP for about eleven months. I really do not care whether ear issues with CPAP are rare or not because I have those issues. I have had tinnitus constantly since I began using the CPAP. Tinnitus was not common for me prior to this. My good ear pops every time I use the machine. (The other ear lacks an eardrum; it cannot pop.) In recent months, I am hearing a sound when I swallow that probably means I have some sort of liquid in both ears. In addition to that, I awaken every time I use the CPAP with pain in my lower back that I never experience otherwise.

My sleep apnea is relatively mild (10.2 aHi in the original sleep study) and the nuisance factor is serious because I am pretty much compliant with the cleaning and other requirements and because none of the masks works to my satisfaction. ( I have tried full face, nasal, and pillow masks from different makers.) I have a follow-up appointment with the sleep doctor due to being tested recently for narcolepsy. I will request an alternative method of dealing with the sleep apnea or will just give up on it.

I have been on another list for CPAP users and quit that one. I have a difficult time dealing with those who seem to have blind enthusiasm for these machines and fail to recognize anyone's issues with them.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:25 am

foothillbilly wrote:I have been on another list for CPAP users and quit that one. I have a difficult time dealing with those who seem to have blind enthusiasm for these machines and fail to recognize anyone's issues with them.
It's not blind enthusiasm, CPAP works for most if they stick to it. Many stop because of excuses or issues they are not willing to work through.

There are those however that have other medical conditions that get in the way of using CPAP. Perhaps there are some adjustments that can be made to make it better for you. But factually, to open airways requires pressure, and if have medical issues that prevent that, then you might be stuck without any solution... or more drastic measures.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin