Cleaning CPAP Equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gailzee

Swift Washings

Post by gailzee » Tue May 24, 2005 9:14 pm

I use fragrance free DOVE soap, wash all the nasal pillows/filters daily. Wash the blue strap contraption once-2x's a wk. I do NOT undo the straps. Wash the hose 1-2x's a wk. warm soapy water/rinse everything thoroughly. Hang hose over shower rod. I have the PB 420E, with the pressure hose inside the larger hose, and the PB comes with 2 very small (easy to lose) plastic plugs, its a must to keep that internal hose dry. I take a swab and wipe the pressure hose, 2 ends thoroughly, warm water.

Hope this is an idea someone can do quickly in the a.m. before leaving for work, etc. Cleaning only takes a few minutes...............
Night Owl wrote:Never thought of baby shampoo -- using a soap that was very gentle was the biggest boost for me to getting used to the Infinity and Swift nasal pillows. The DME suggested mild dish soap -- but even w thorough rinsing, that did not work for me....

Have the same reservation as rested gal on taking apart the masks daily -- however, does anyone have any suggestions on what to use, how often, etc on washing the Swift blue headgear -- ? Seems like it would lose some softness on the face if washed wrong --- but what does an owl know.

Nev

Cleaning CPAP Equipment

Post by Nev » Wed May 25, 2005 12:24 am

When my ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask got to one year old I thought I'd better get in a replacement. The new one came with a CD explaining how to wash it. They recommend taking it apart daily and washing it in "pure soap". I played the video several times and finally worked out that what the demonstrator was using was Liquid Neutrogena
pure mild facial cleanser 175ml pump pack.

I still only wipe over the cushion daily with warm water with a little squirt of Neutrogena in it, wash it weekly (along with hoses and humidifier) in a sink full of water with a bigger squirt of Neutrogena and only take it apart about every month or two. It is a pain to take apart and put back together and you feel as if you are going to lose some of the little bits or break off the clips that hold the swivels in place. Hasn't happened yet and I'm still on my original mask after 14 months and it still looks almost as good as new - just a bit of discolouration in places.

I have a heated hose for the PB420E which has a snuggle-hose attached to it, so I have to plug the sensor tube and wash the inside of the hose by pouring Neutrogena solution in with a funnel and doing the arm exercises carefully so I don't get the sleeve wet.

I also wash my face in warm water with Neutrogena in it before retiring each night.

PB 420E auto, Silverlining software
DeVilbiss 9100/9200 humidifier/heater
ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Sleepzone heated hose

2listless

Cleaning CPAP Crap

Post by 2listless » Thu May 26, 2005 6:51 pm

OK, I must be the laziest of all. Always use distilled water in humidifier. It runs dry every 2 days, so I just refill it. I basically only give it a vinegar wash if I have had some kind of creeping crud. I just let the machine run for a while in the morning, humidifier off, to dry up the condensation in the hose to prevent any "growth" - lazy womans solution. The various nasal interfaces and masks get taken to the sink, a little Joy dropped on them, paper towel to wash it with, rinse with plain tap water and throw it on papertowel to dry. If it does not dry completely - I hook it to the hose and let the machine air dry it. Never take them apart. And to be completely honest, I hop between interfaces every 5 days or so - since I have 4 of them, I wait until I have done a complete rotation, then throw all the hoses in the laundry tub together for a little soak and rinse. I have a hose connected to each interface - that way, if I really think one needs a bath and I do not feel like it - I just switch to a whole new unit! The filters rarely get changed because I have an 8 layer full house filtration system - so I do not dust or do windows either....... I am still waiting for the dishwasher solution! Or maybe a microwave autoclave........... hmmmmmmm

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Dan01

Post by Dan01 » Fri May 27, 2005 1:21 pm

Taking the mask and hose into the shower is a neat idea. My youngest one just broke my 6 foot hose. Now I am down to the 10 foot backup. That thing is so long I have to wind it up next to the pillow. I should knuckle down and buy another six footer.

I probably should not take the mask apart anymore. I have heard a slight wistling noise the past few nights. It is comfort select. It works fine. I should use the vinegar though.

bill2

Post by bill2 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:13 pm

I hate to disagree with a guru, but alcohol should never be used on your mask. The cushion is silicone and alcohol will break it down. The Resmed guy I talked to said baby shampoo is the best and warned me about alcohol. The silicone gets too soft too soon and won't seal well. Also, vinegar is good for mineral buildup, but what protects against mold?

Post by Guest » Fri May 27, 2005 9:39 pm

2listless,

What is an 8 layer filtration system?

Post by Guest » Fri May 27, 2005 9:40 pm

2listless,

What is an 8 layer filtration system?

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:31 pm

Johnny? Hope you don't mind. I had posted this under a different thread, but thought it should be here for others to see.
- JB

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:09 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REMSTAR DIRECTIONS FOR DISINFECTING MASK COMPONENTS

the following is the information that is packed with the Swift: Disinfection/Sterilization Guide, dated 3 04 06: (i think that's a date?, printed by ResMed in Australia)

Quote:
"CLEAN the mask components by scrubbing with a soft bristle brush for one minute while soaking them in detergent (eg, Alconox). Pay particular attention to all crevices and cavities.
RINSE the components by agitating them vigorously in water and allow them to air dry out of direct sunlight."

(Then follows three different procedures that can be used: Chemical Disinfection, Thermal Disinfection, and the STERRAD 100S Sterilization Process. )

(It also notes that ResMed testing has shown that the components can withstand 15 cycles of this disinfection or sterilization process. )

Quote:
"Note: the mask must be disassembled and cleaned prior to disinfection or sterilization.

Option 1: Chemical Disinfection:

SOAK the disinfectable components of the mask in a commercially available solution of glutaraldehyde 3.4% (eg, CIDEX Plus) or
ortho-phthaladehyde 0.55% (eg, CIDEX OPA) as described in the manufacturer's instructions.

RINSE mask components as described in the manufacturer's instructions and allow them to air dry out of direct sunlight.

Option 2: Thermal Disinfection

Using a certified hot water disinfection system, soak the disinfectable mask components for one of the following times:
- 158° F (70°C) for 100 minutes, or
- 167°F (75°C) for 30 minutes, or
- 176°F (80°C) for 10 minutes, or
- 194°F (90°C) for one minute."

[My own note: remember that that temperature must be maintained throughout the soaking time]

Option 3: STERRAD 100S Process requires the purchase of the Sterrad system.

In all cases it says to inspect the mask components. If there is any crazing, tears or cracking it says to replace that component. "Slight discoloration of the silicone components may occur and is acceptable."

- JB

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): resmed, swift, DME

Last edited by ahujudybear on Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qrlylox

Post by qrlylox » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:58 pm

Good grief! I've been way overdoing it apparantly, with my cleaning protocol! I read on a cpap website somewhere (dont know which one now) that you should take mask AND humidifier apart daily and wash with mild soap (ivory dishsoap) and rinse well and let air dry. I do that with my mask, but just have been rinsing the humidifier w/ water. (I use distilled water as we have very hard water).
Then once a week, I've been soaking mask, humid. and hose in hot soapy water, rinsing, then immersing all in a disinfectant solution (called Control III) for 10 minutes.
I read that if you dont follow this protocol, you can get very sick!
Now what the heck? None of you guys is doing that!
I'm all for less work - I am already getting weary of the extra hassle.
Why do some directions say you have to go thru all this - but some of you guys are doing minimum and obviously doing fine?

glassgal

Post by glassgal » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi qrlylox,

I think that you have to differentiate between home cleaning and hospital cleaning.

The hospital needs to make sure that they don't transmit something bad with multiple users, so their cleaning protocol will be much more stringent than ours at home.

We are all exposed to many germs daily, but nothing comes of it. In a hospital, there is a concentration of nasties that need extra protection against. I think that a lot of RT's have worked in hospitals and relay that cleaning protocol to their patients.

If your house is relatively clean, and you protect your equipment (I cover mine with a bandana during the day to disguise and keep the dust off), you shouldn't need to clean your equipment all the time. I would also up the regimen if you are in the healthcare field and are frequently exposed to ill people.

Relax -- get some extra sleep!

Sleep well,

Jane

PB 420e -- 10-17 cm/H2O
heated humidifier
NasalAireII
Aura that I have deconstructed & am making a
new headgear for.

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:24 pm

Well, yeah...

Actually, the dishsoap is probably a mistake. It's too harsh for the soft silicon parts and leaves a residue that can irritate your face.

From what I have read here, Neutragena or baby shampoo (the plain shampoo) would probably be the best - although Neutragena is pretty pricey.

Those scrubbing and disinfecting instructions are only if someone else is going to use the mask. They would be too harsh for the mask components on a regular basis (Note that they say a mask will withstand 15 such disinfections.)

- JB

qrlylox

Post by qrlylox » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:33 pm

I can't even tell you guys how much i love this board. JB, Glassgal, thanks so much for the feedback. See, I would be ruining my stuff had this not come up on this board!
I'm off to walmart to buy baby shampoo!
By the way, that info I got was from CPAPStation website.

glassgal

Post by glassgal » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:40 pm

I bet that they sell the cleaning solution too! The cynical side of me says that they are out to increase sales...

Glad to be of help -- we are all in this together!

I was told not to use antibacterial soaps or detergents because they are hard to rinse off -- just another quirk to think about!
Sleep well,

Jane

PB 420e -- 10-17 cm/H2O
heated humidifier
NasalAireII
Aura that I have deconstructed & am making a
new headgear for.

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:07 pm

And you have to wash your face too with something that leaves no residue, so I started using the Neutragena for that, but it was too hars (working up a lather and using it on my face), so I dilute it and only use some of the thin suds on my face now.
- JB

Glad I could be of help!

so tired

washing instructions

Post by so tired » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:43 pm

Hi all! I just got my setup a little over a week ago. I specifically asked the DME who set it up about washing the tubing in the shower as I had read something on this site. He said it was not necessary and that the manufactors do not recommend it. He did say to clean the nasal pillows with dish soap, but I went and got baby shampoo as I know the dish soap would have too many harsh ingredients. So he was totally wrong about the hose cleaning?? I quickly skimmed the printed material that came with it and really do not remember what it says, but you can be sure I will check it now!!

I do agree that it is a completely different thing to clean your home equipment than that in a hospital.