Cleaning CPAP Equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
qrlylox

Post by qrlylox » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:21 pm

Yes Glassgal - you're right! The website suggesting the cleaning and disinfecting sells the stuff AND I bought some! Bought the citrus mask cleaner and the disinfectant concentrate!

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:48 pm

Great DME ya got there, So tired: (Don't wash the hoses, use dish soap.) Yup. Just the opposite of what my RT told me. She even had it all written out about how often to wash what.

- JB

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:28 pm

Just a couple more thoughts on this topic::::

I just got the box and brochure that came with my Flexi 407, and it specifically states, "Do not clean the mask with alcohol, chlorine or bleach."

It also says to wash [the washable parts] in warm soapy water.

Perhaps some of you are having trouble with your seal breaking down because you are using too hot of water or too harsh of a soap?

- JB

- JB
PB GK425 BiPAP 12/3
F&P HC105 heated Ambient Tracking Humdifier
F&P FlexiFit407 Nasal Mask/ Resmed Swift
"shapeable" pillow

momexp5

Post by momexp5 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:24 pm

ahujudybear wrote: Perhaps some of you are having trouble with your seal breaking down because you are using too hot of water or too harsh of a soap?
lol - I washed mine in *hot* soapy water and then got the best seals I've had yet. Go figure! Maybe it's short term gain, long term loss, though. Guess I'll decrease the water temp next time (I poured boiling water into the sink to *keep* it hot!)

I wonder - How do you tell what's a mild soap when it comes to what silicon likes? If your hands like it, does the mask like it?

I bet nobody really has the definitive answer here. Oscar Madison vs. Felix Unger.

Thanks for bumping this thread, JB.

41yow, 118lb, severe OSA, lots of allergies, had surgery for deviated septum.
click to see my introductory post.

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:05 pm

While I am still sorta new at this, I have only seen three products recommended by name: plain baby shampoo (by my RT and here on the forum), Neutragena Liquid Facial Wash (by the brochure packed with the Swift and here on the forum from another taped demo) and a brand name I have never heard of for washing equipment prior to disinfecting. I have also seen the administrator and others recommending a vinegar (dilute) rinsing.

All sources also say that the soap (soap is not a detergent, btw) must be of a sort that rinses without leaving a residue. Many dish detergents contain conditioners to counteract their harsh effects on our skin, leaving a residue on them and on our dishes, unless you rinse your dishes in very hot water.

- JB

- JB
PB GK425 BiPAP 12/3
"shapeable" pillow

momexp5

Post by momexp5 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:46 pm

Wow, Judy, thank you so much for flagging this for me! I'll switch to Neutrogena - maybe the Neutrogena shampoo, ya think? Supposedly it's made to rinse out super clean.

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:45 pm

I have no idea what's in the Neutragena shampoo. Both the sources I heard/saw said Neutragena Liquid Facial Wash. But it's about 3x as expensive as the baby shampoo so I use the shampoo for the equipment and save the Neutragena for my face.

Glad to be of help!
- JB
- JB
PB GK425 BiPAP 12/3
"shapeable" pillow

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Is that "plain baby shampoo" as opposed to "non-plain"? And if so, what?
I can't imagine using Neutrogena facial wash on my equipment - it costs so much here!
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:09 pm

As with other shampoos there is Baby Shampoo with conditioners, Baby Shampoo with Aloe... I think I saw four different styles of baby shampoo, Ozi.
- JB
PB GK425 BiPAP 12/3
"shapeable" pillow

Nev

Cleaning CPAP Equipment

Post by Nev » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:21 am

The instructions that came with my ResMed UltraMirage Full Face Mask say "wash mask components in warm, soapy water. Use a mild detergent such as pure soap...."

As pointed out by others, pure soap is not a detergent??

The video clip on the CD that came with the mask shows a bloke religiously washing the dismantled mask with liquid from a pumb pack. I stopped the video and magnified the frame that showed the product he was using and managed to read "Liquid Neutrogena". I bought a 175ml pump pack of the stuff and it says in smaller print "pure mild facial cleanser". I use a little squirt of it in a bit of warm water to wipe over the mask every morning and another small squirt in warm water to wash my face before going to bed. Once a week I wash the mask in a basin full of warm water with a full squirt of neutrogena.

My old mask has lasted over a year and is still going strong. I started using my new mask after reading of people who got whistling masks and had them replaced under warranty and I wanted to check mine in case it was one of the faulty ones. It isn't, but I noticed the cushion was much stiffer than my old mask. But after using the Neutrogena for a few weeks it has softened up pretty well. My old mask improved greatly after I started using Neutrogena instead of the (mild) dishwashing liquid detergent I had been using.

I might add that when I look at the back of the Neutrogena bottle it has a list of ingredients as long as your arm!! Glycerin, sodium oleate and sodium "cocoate" I can buy as ingredients for "pure" soap, but then it gets into cocomide CEA, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, etc etc including "fragrance", FD&C Yellow No5, Red No33, and Blue No1!!! Pure soap?? Anyway it's what the guy on the video was using and it seems to work for me!!

Nev
-------------------------------------------
PB 420E
DeVilbiss 9100/9200 humidifier/heater
ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Heated hose

PB 420E auto, Silverlining software
DeVilbiss 9100/9200 humidifier/heater
ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Sleepzone heated hose

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:39 am

I might add that when I look at the back of the Neutrogena bottle it has a list of ingredients as long as your arm!! Glycerin, sodium oleate and sodium "cocoate" I can buy as ingredients for "pure" soap, but then it gets into cocomide CEA, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, etc etc including "fragrance", FD&C Yellow No5, Red No33, and Blue No1!!! Pure soap?? Anyway it's what the guy on the video was using and it seems to work for me!!
LOL, Nev! How funny!

Flower51

Post by Flower51 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:44 am

The written instructions from my rt/dme said to use a mild dish washing soap such as palmolive or ivory (if you notice, almost all of them now come as ultras instead of the original formulations, which means they are now more concentrated, so I just use a tiny drop or two...not a lot of suds, mostly warm water). Terry

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:49 am

Modetated Chat Transcript: The Resmed Mirage Family of Masks
With ResMed's Karla Tate and Susie Justus, LVN
Hand wash mask and all components at least once a week-or more often if you have an oily skin type.
Wash in cold to lukewarm water.
Use pure soap and ensure that you use enough to remove the facial oils (approx.1-2 teaspoons in a bathroom sink and rinse well to remove residue); do not use soaps with antibacterial, moisturizing, or scent additives, and do not use products containing bleach; we recommend Ivory dishwashing liquid (non scented), Neutrogena liquid soap, and Jergens or Planet dishwashing liquid.
Moderated Chat Transcript: The ResMed Humidaire™ .
With ResMed's Karla Tate and Susie Justus, LVN
Suggestions for mild detergents are (no antibacterials, no moisturizers, no scent) Ivory dishwashing liquid, Neutrogena liquid soap, Jergens, Planet dishwashing liquid

Now, if only I knew the difference between "fragrance" and "scent".... any suggestions from native born English speakers - which I am not?
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

bigheadr

Post by bigheadr » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:46 am

If you have the Swift with the plastic netting in the cylinder, you must need to take it apart to wash or the plastic netting may move and not be effective. I am using baby shampoo and taking everything apart. Do other people wash wth Swift intact even with the plastic netting in the cylinder? If so, how do you make sure that the plastic netting doesn't move so that it is effective?

ahujudybear

Post by ahujudybear » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:20 am

?? Maybe you have a slightly different product??

All that's on the back of my bottle is the container size (8 oz./236ml), copywrites and their 800# & website. The front of the bottle says "fragrance- free"

But it's great to hear that this can actually restore the elasticity of the silicone! Thanks for letting us know!

- JB

- JB
PB GK425 BiPAP 12/3
"shapeable" pillow