Cleaning CPAP Equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
krousseau

Cleaning Equipment

Post by krousseau » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:43 am

To anyone with a humidifier: AS A MINIMUM toss out any leftover distilled water every morning and at least rinse the chamber. Start out every night with completely fresh water. Otherwise all you are doing is diluting old water with fresh. If you refill a chamber that if 1/2 full-1/2 the water is old. If this is repeated day after day you still have some old water in there until you empty and clean the chamber. By the same token I wouldn't use a bottled water dispenser for my distilled water since when you put up a new bottle there is still old water in the bottom-I have not cleaned out my crock for a year-no way I am going to breathe in water from that dispenser. Some bacteria love to live in a water environment-the water can be sparkling clear and taste great.
I've only been on CPAP a week. I'm a nurse and taught infection control. Daily cleaning is best but figure I'm not in a hospital so I plan to just rinse everything everyday and once a week clean it the way the forum admin recommended. If sick I'll do the "best practice" cleaning daily.
As for taking the mask apart-whatever comes apart easily-the gel pad and the straps-is all I do. The straps will get hair/skin oil washed out with regular detergent every other week or more if needed.
I live in a dusty environment and have a wood stove for heat so check the dust filters a couple times a week-don't yet know how often I'll have to change them.

Rapunzel111

Clean

Post by Rapunzel111 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:15 pm

I actually bought the brush for the CPAP hose and it does a great job cleaning it.I only use distilled water in mine,and I regularly clean it with a CPAP cleaning solution,we;; diluted from a CPAP web store.I do all of this because I have wicked allergies to dust and just about everything else in the universe that could possible irritate a human being's nose.I also change my filters (white allergy filter)and wash the foam (black filter that comes with the machine) and let it air dry.I keep two of my mask,hose,and hose covers so one can be in use while the other is drying.
Beware of not cleaning enough though....you can get a bacterial sinus infection that will not go away on its own unless you get antibiotics!

jgroves1945

Cleaning cpap equip.

Post by jgroves1945 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:28 pm

I have a resmed cpap and Ultra Mirage full face mask. My CPAP supplier has repeatedly (and emphatically) told me that customers should NEVER use vinegar as a cleaning agent on any of the plastic components of a CPAP, including the mask and humidifier tank. They have stated that vinegar will damage the plastic and can void manufacturer's warranties. They have always said that all that should be used for cleaning is baby shampoo.

Also, I've used a CPAP for about 10 years and have never cleaned my mask and tank more than once every one-two weeks, and I never take my mask apart. I just soak everything in a tub with baby shampoo for an hour or so, then rinse and air dry.

I sure wish someone would invent a santizer tank that we could just toss everything into and then dry without going thru a lot of fuss. I'd buy it in a second!!!

northernlights

Post by northernlights » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:37 pm

Heres an idea I had today (haven't tried it yet). Has anyone ever tried cleaning their mask with a polident tablet and water? After all, if its safe enough to put in your mouth (i.e. your dentures after cleaning) wouldn't it be OK for your mask. Interested to hear your feed-back.

Steve.
"The longest journey begins with one step."

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Sorry folks I have to voice my opinion on all this cleaning stuff.

I have been using CPAP for about 7 months. I put distilled water in and use it until it is dry. I don't dump it daily I don't clean the tank. I see no reason, it is dry. I have not been sick since I started CPAP.

I only clean my swift pillow evey couple of days because if I don't it doesn't seal to my nose well. I use the plain old pump hand soap -- whatever is in th bathroom (yes it has fragrance) and I rinse a bit to get the smell off. I am still on the first 2 pillows (I alternate when I clean so they can dry).

Whatever is in my swift pillow came from my nose and didn't get me sick when it was in the nose in the first place.

I use 2 hoses. Alternate so they dry thouroughly. Bad stuff doesn't grow in a dry hose.

I just can't see what all this heavy duty cleaning discussion is about. Of course all of you can and will do as you please as will I. I just feel the need to present the other viewpoint. I know I am not alone in these views.

Of course if you have a bacterial infection of something that will reinfect you when your antibiotics have cured you, definately disinfect everything. In fact I would consider discarding hoses etc. But for normal everyday germs, and a healthy person, all this cleaning is not vital.

john1357

Cleaning The Mask and Hoses

Post by john1357 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:24 pm

To clean my mask I use a product called CPAP Mask Cleaner that is made by Citrus II. I have tried soaps and shampoo but I like the spray and wipe simplicity of this product.

LoriD

Post by LoriD » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:26 pm

I take apart my machine (foam filter, mask, hose, humidifier water compartment) every weekend and soak them for about 15 minutes in 1/4 c. vinegar diluted in three parts water, cleaning well with paper towels before letting everything air dry all day. The headgear I wash in Woolite and also let dry in the shower all day. By the time bedtime rolls around, it is all dry and I can reassemble everything, and fill the humidifier with fresh water, before putting it on for the night.

I haven't gotten any ill effects yet from doing this procedure.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, hose

Mezzaluna

Post by Mezzaluna » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:48 pm

This is my first post. I'm impressed by the good discussions here!

I was also told to use "pure soap". I bought Ivory dish washing liquid that specifically does NOT say anti-bacterial (I was told to avoid that). I've only been using the machine 10 days so I've cleaned it only once. I figure I can't have done much harm or committed any unforgiveable sins yet!

A friend who's a longtime CPAP user (and who encouraged me to have a sleep study) told me she dries her tubing by turning on the CPAP machine for about 10 minutes to dry the tube; if her mask needs it, she attaches her mask as well.

I use water that comes through our reverse osmosis filter system; my tech told me that was fine to use, but when I travel I should use distilled water.

So far it's not very stressful to care for this equipment. Any inconvenience is cancelled by the benefit of using it!

gracie97

Post by gracie97 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:25 pm

It may be wrong, very wrong...however I never use anything but Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid soap on my mask, humidifier and hose.

If it is rotting the silicone before its time, fine: The great peppermint aroma it imparts is worth it!

One nice advantage of the Aura nasal interface is that the nose piece can easily be removed for washing without having to bother cleaning the rest of the device.

Started CPAP on 7/1/2005
Mild apnea
Plus upper airway resistance syndrome with severe alpha intrusion

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:05 am

I'm with snoregirl on the cleaning. I use distilled water for the heated humidifier, just adding more as needed. Months and months go by without my dumping the water out, much less cleaning the water chamber. Been doing that for several years with no ill effects.

Since I use the humidifier that fits the older "classic" Respironics' machines, I don't even remove the humidifier from the machine... I just add more distilled water with a funnel.

Same routine, or lack thereof, with the main air hose... I never "clean" it. If I'm figuring the distilled water in the humidifier is clean enough, I also figure the humidified air is clean enough all the way up through the hose. I've been using the same heated hose for over two years without ever having so much as rinsed it out except once.

Cleaning skin oils off the surfaces of a mask cushion or the nasal pillows does make for a better seal, as snoregirl mentioned.

Extensive soaking or taking things apart...nah, I'm just not going to do all that if I don't think something needs it. I believe we take more chances of picking up "something" just walking through crowded malls, eating out in restaurants, etc.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

gracie97

Post by gracie97 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:49 am

rested gal wrote:I'm with snoregirl on the cleaning. I use distilled water for the heated humidifier, just adding more as needed. Months and months go by without my dumping the water out, much less cleaning the water chamber. Been doing that for several years with no ill effects.
Perhaps you can get away with that because you may be using more water than I am or because your machine filters air more effectively than some.

It takes a couple weeks for the water level in my humidifier to go down by a couple inches, and then what is left, even though it starts out distilled, usually looks slightly murky. And the bottom of the humidifier feels a bit slimy when I open it up to clean it.

I don't heat it while using the CPAP -- just for a half hour beforehand -- which probably accounts for how little water is used.

My machine has two filters, a dark washable foam one and a white fine replaceable filter, which I change every few weeks. But obviously enough stuff gets through to the water to eventually give it an unappetizing look.

Grace

Started CPAP on 7/1/2005
Mild apnea
Plus upper airway resistance syndrome with severe alpha intrusion

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:35 am

gracie97 wrote:Perhaps you can get away with that because you may be using more water than I am
I never thought of that. You may have hit on the reason, Grace, since what you describe next is a LOT less water usage than I go through:
gracie97 wrote:It takes a couple weeks for the water level in my humidifier to go down by a couple inches, and then what is left, even though it starts out distilled, usually looks slightly murky. And the bottom of the humidifier feels a bit slimy when I open it up to clean it.
It takes three nights (humidifier heat turned very low) for mine to use up all the water. I add more before it's completely used up, though.

"Murky water" and a humidifier bottom that feels "a bit slimy"! You caused me to go take the chamber off and examine the water closely under bright light. I thought, "Gosh, what if I've been taking it for granted and not been looking at it closely enough after this long!" The water was crystal clear. Whew.

After dumping the water out, I didn't try to take the chamber itself apart but compared it to an unused backup water chamber I have. The floor of both chambers at least looked the same.

As a side note, I felt like a cpap beginner...it's been so long since I've tried to work a water chamber off and back on again. Thought for a minute that I was going to have to dig out the humidifier manual! LOL!
gracie97 wrote:I don't heat it while using the CPAP -- just for a half hour beforehand -- which probably accounts for how little water is used.
I think you're right.
gracie97 wrote:My machine has two filters, a dark washable foam one and a white fine replaceable filter, which I change every few weeks. But obviously enough stuff gets through to the water to eventually give it an unappetizing look.
I use only the dark washable foam filter. I don't use the additional white fine filter. I wash the foam filter about once a month, squishing antibacterial soap in it, rinsing well, pressing the water out with a towel and letting the filter air dry for several hours.

Incidentally, I leave the main air hose attached so nothing can drift in through the filling port on top of the chamber. I have a PVC elbow on the cuff of the hose to make hose removal easy for filling -- can easily drop the elbow back on. So, the chamber is always capped, day and night.

Interesting, the difference in routines. Yours works for you, mine for me. As do others' routines. I'm glad you brought up the spectre of murk and slime. Seriously. Even though my sudden concerned "exam" turned out clear, it didn't hurt to dump the water out and start fresh for the year.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:11 am

Grace

Why not just put a little water in the tank? I never fill it up to the line. I guesstimate how much water I will use and only put that in, therefore my water doesn't sit more than 1 night and doesn't get slimy. No one says you have to fill to the line.

TANSTAF1

Post by TANSTAF1 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:38 am

I found this thread as I was searching for tips on when a mask needed to be replaced. i will start a new thread for that rather than thread crap.

But as for cleaning my sleep center suggested using an anti-bacterial dish soap so I have been using either Dove or Palmolive.

I now have an HC405 mask (too lazy to update my profile). I take it apart as I have to take the filter out to clean it anyway. I try to do this once a week.

My sleep center told me to rinse it out daily. My sleep center told me to use only distilled (or boiled) water. I got lazy over the holidays and did not rinse it for several weeks and when I went to clean it there was crud on the metal warming plate as I just left it in my heated humidifier which must have promoted the growth. On a lazy or rush day I now just take it out of the humidifier compartment so it does not cook all day and then add more water at night.

As for the hose, I found that the rubber end of it made a tight fit over the spout of my kitchen faucet. So I pour some anti-bacterial soap in it. Add some water. Cover the ends with my thumbs and slosh/slog it back and forth. Then I run hot water through it from the faucet to get all the soap out. The force of the pressurized water also helps clean it. I then hang it to dry.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, hose, clean

josh

Post by josh » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:44 am

I wash my insert once a week using hand soap and very hot water. I will clean the mask and tank once every 2 weeks to a month. I use the same method as for the insert, and I will let it soak for 15 minutes to a half hour. This has worked very well for me over the past 2 years.

The thing I can't stand is the day that I wash the mask and the day that I shave my face...I shave 2 or 3 times a week. I find it extremely irritating, to the point I can't sleep with the mask.

Cheers

The ox is slow...but the earth is patient.