Cleaning CPAP Equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Justin Case

Re: Cleaning CPAP Equipment

Post by Justin Case » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:51 pm

I have the same experience as chunkyfrog. Unfortunately, my laziness has probably contributed to me getting more colds or at least not recovering from colds as fast as I used to. Which brings me to another question which I am not sure if it was raised in this huge thread.

How does one disinfect the inside of the machine? Obviously, germs from the humidifier will enter in through the pathway where the air is exhausted. There must be a way since I can't imagine the DME would just pass on a trial machine from one client to another without actually sterilizing the machine itself. I am thinking maybe a disinfectant in the form of aeresol is maybe injected inside, maybe?
JC

rattman6712

Post by rattman6712 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:17 am

I rinse my tank, nose piece and hose with mouthwash and rinse thoroughly with very hot water. done it for years and it works.

Joe at Autoworld Corp

Post by Joe at Autoworld Corp » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Ok I finally found a place that seems to speak the truth. This may be my only time on here but enjoyed this so much more than all the other sites trying to SELL me something I don't need! Like a $300.00 sanitizing machine!!!!!
I agree with MOST all of what I read today on this site. 9/07/14.
I have been using machines ever since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 1999. I have 2 Resmed machines and have LEARNED the hard way!! (I usually always read the instructions LAST!). I normally do not need them but... these machines are getting more adjustable electronicaly today. At nite one can accidentally mess up just by punching buttons in the dark! I do that! One is at my shop and the other at home.
I had a 2 year learning curve with my first machine a (Black and Decker???) with a sepparate water tank, I could NOT make it thru the night with my full mask on and soon went to nose pillows and then back to masks. I HATED the Darned thing! This went on for two years! More off than on! I use to get the lady RT to ask me, "Are you sleeping better with your machine?". He__ NO! I replied. I don't even put it on any more! I had several other male friends who did the SAME.
Finally I got tired of waking up like I had never gone to sleep (even though I slept like a ROCK... OUT) I just was not myself working all day in my shop. I just wanted to nap after lunch!
Finally I remembered how it felt on long flights with the O2 on at altitude so I started reminising my younger days and flying. CRAZY! But it worked! I still jokingly tell my wife "Are you ready to fire this thing (the Bed)( airplane) up"?, before I go to sleep at night. In time... months!, I started getting use to the CPAP.
I noticed a smell eminating from my hoses like a soured whites laundry smells when you don't use bleech to much. Sour! I tried using liquid dish soap w/o the bleech (allergic to bleech) it had however a citris (shows a grapefruit on the bottle) suppose to be in the mix??? Could not smell it. Everyday. Funny, reading here, you and I are the same as I started washing out the hose, mask, and tank everyday (IN THE SHOWER). Hanging it up on top of the shower pipe outlet to dry during the day. In the summers I noticed that smell coming back a little. I had not changed a thing in my daily routeen other than waking up late and missing some days washings. The CPAP not me! Purplexed one morning I was upset after a night of smelling sour laundry (CPAP) again and I went into the morning shower and used a strong Listerene mouth wash. WOW!!! No more smell!!!
After rinsing the normal sea saw hose wash I emptied it into my liquid tank then used it to wipe out my humidifier tank as well with a rag of course. I had the best night's sleep that nite with my machine!!!!! Smelled great! So I use this method once a week and the soap shower combo wash everyday.
Don't know if this will help anyone but there it is. If some of you have found a better sanitising solution (cheaper) then please let me know.
Joe in Mo.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:46 pm

Mouthwash is safe to use on cpap supplies--as long as they can be washed.
Just avoid a mouthwash containing alcohol, as alcohol is not recommended on this grade of silicone.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:37 pm

As long as it's not a heated hose, don't forget that hoses are pretty inexpensive. Get several and swap them every few weeks to dry out.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

fdw

Post by fdw » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:51 am

This is really an interesting thread. I've been on CPAP for nearly 20 years and have pretty much followed the same procedure all those years.

Daily:
1. Mask cleaning with form soap and water (part that is in contact with my skin).

Monthly:
1. Replace Filter

Every 2-3 Months:
1. Replace Mask (part that comes in contact with my skin)
2. Replace Chin Strap
3. Clean Hose if I remember (when I do I use Distilled Vinegar and then rinse with water, and hang dry)

Every 6-12 Months
1. Replace Hose
2. Replace headgear and mask (part that is not in contact with my skin)

Every 5-7 years
1. New Machine
ResMed AirSense S10 Autoset (Ins. Pur. 3/16/2016)
AutoCPAP 10-15 EPR 1.0 (Latest Sleep Study 3-7-16)
Started CPAP March 1995 with a pressure of 11.0

lazyCLEANER

Post by lazyCLEANER » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:01 pm

I am with snoregirl and rested girl. Albeit a step further still. I rarely clean my hose, mask (nasal pillow), or water tank thingy. If it looks or smells dirty then I will clean it with what ever soap is lying about. I do rinse it well. I have gone months without cleaning any piece. I do cover the end with a hankerchief when not in use. As she said, if it came outta my nose, it must be ok. Now for the cardinal sin. I also do not always use distilled water. Truth is I usually do not. Almost never. Tapwater seems ok. And my last cpap lasted over 5 years and was only replaced since insurance insisted. My thinking is if it doesn't affect me or the equipment then a poorly maintained CPAP 8 hours a night is better than none at all. All that cleaning is WWAAAyyy too much for this lazy man. But . . .that's just me. Maybe I am just lucky.

lazyCLEANER

Post by lazyCLEANER » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Oh, forgot to mention also that I often just pour water from the glass I am drinking from that night. No funnel and it does spill over a bit. Machines are tough. My 3 rules 1: wear the mask every night, all night. 2: Don't let it stress you out if its not spotless. 3: Not all instructions are necessary for everyone so do what works for ya. Thanks. This board is very informative.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:56 pm

lazyCLEANER wrote:Oh, forgot to mention also that I often just pour water from the glass I am drinking from that night. No funnel and it does spill over a bit.
what's a little backwash in the tank.

however the splashing water around in the machine may end up coming back to bite you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RT for DME

Post by RT for DME » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Simply using mild dish soap or baby shampoo is all you need for cleaning your cpap supplies. It is not recommended that you wipe down your seal with any kind of bleach wipe or alcohol wipe as they can not only cause the silicone to wear out much faster than normal, but can also burn the skin that is in contact with your mask. Picture bleach sitting on your skin for maybe 6-8 hrs with warm moist air on top of it...YIKES!

HAPPY SLEEPING

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:54 pm

RT for DME wrote:s. It is not recommended that you wipe down your seal ... alcohol wipe as they can not only cause the silicone to wear out much faster than normal,
Why not? chemical reference libraries on the net indicate that silicone is unaffected by isopropyl alcohol, and only slightly discolored by ethyl alcohol.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RTDME

Post by RTDME » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:21 am

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific about the alcohol. Rubbing alcohol can actually cause the skin to become oily. For some people it will irritate the skin and the body's natural response is for the oil glands to over produce the oils as a protectant. Inadvertently, that extra oil that we feel we're getting rid of will sit on the cushion all night long and we know that oils will cause the silicone to breakdown. You'll also read that using products with bleach or alcohol to clean your equipment is not recommended due to the harmful vapors, and again could burn the skin. I know some people are just fine with these products, but overall, not recommended.

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:47 am

Every one is different on how they clean their masks, I like vinegar 1 part - water 3 part- small amount of soap and even a little mouth wash at times.
Soak them for 5-10 min and rinse. I use rubbing alcohol swaps once and a while on the nose pillows to clean oil and germs for 8 years with good results.(MFG's claim not to use alcohol because it reacts to silicon- I had no issues yet with Resmed products!! )
To clean water reservoirs & hoses- soap ,vinegar, water soak for 10 min and rinse with warm water- air dry afterwards.(some folks us a hair dryer to speed things up)

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:11 pm

RTDME wrote:I'm sorry, I should have been more specific about the alcohol. Rubbing alcohol can actually cause the skin to become oily. For some people it will irritate the skin and the body's natural response is for the oil glands to over produce the oils as a protectant. Inadvertently, that extra oil that we feel we're getting rid of will sit on the cushion all night long and we know that oils will cause the silicone to breakdown. You'll also read that using products with bleach or alcohol to clean your equipment is not recommended due to the harmful vapors, and again could burn the skin. I know some people are just fine with these products, but overall, not recommended.
do you actually *THINK* about what you're posting?

have you ever noticed how fast a thin film of alcohol evaporates?

I'd be hard pressed to wipe off the cushions on my mask with alcohol on a tissue, and then get the mask on my face before it evaporated.

now, if I wipe the mask off and then don't immediately jam it on my face... what're your objections?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Cannuck 1 wrote:(MFG's claim not to use alcohol because it reacts to silicon- I had no issues yet with Resmed products!! )
silicone doesn't react at all with isopropyl, but it will discolor with ethyl alcohol... though the structure is not affected. this is well documented on chemical sites on the net.