Cleaning CPAP Equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sagesteve

Re: Cleaning CPAP Equipment

Post by sagesteve » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:15 pm

I can't believe all these posts! Simple and direct. It's available here and it is MAGIC...Control III
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Contro ... eaner.html
PERIOD!!!

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:27 pm

It's amazing how much better a seal you get when you wash of the facial oils from the mask. I like using the Citrus wipes sold on CPAP.COM and available at most DMEs. I use the Activa Mirage and that sucker just sucks back on your face!

Cheers!

lwefring

Post by lwefring » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:35 am

I too am a bit confused over using distilled vs. tap water. I like in St. Paul and we have a terrific water cleaning system, now including charcoal filtering for the entire city. Additionally, I have a charcoal filter on my cold water supply in the kitchen. The downside to distilled water as I understand it is that bacteria can grow. The downside to using city water is the build up of calcium deposits for which cleaning with vinegar is necessary. Which is lesser of two evils?

Luna

Post by Luna » Wed May 13, 2009 2:51 am

I just want to say thank you for the information that you have been shared by posting it to this website.

wonderinggal

Post by wonderinggal » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:45 pm

These posts have been really interesting to read but it seems there is no real definitive answer to anything. I had a ResMed mask that covered mostly just my nose for about 4 years. I cleaned it weekly with ivory soap and warm water, soaking it along with the hose and all other plastic parts, separating everything. Someetimes it was hard getting the mask back together with a good fit which was a pain in the neck. Water canister got cleaned with vinegar and hot water, soaking for about a half hour.

I just recently changed to a nasal pillow (about two months ago - it took a long time to get used to it but now I love the tight seal. Only problem is when I turn in the night I always have to reposition the mask - this is a pain in the neck too but all in all it is much more comfortable and give a much better seal).

The man who brought me the mask said to use vinegar and water on the mask and on the hoses. This is definitely not what the ResMed guy said about the REsMed mask (my first one) so I'm confused. I looked on this (and other) sites for some guidance but it seems to be a tossup, based on the posts here.

I'm on vacation now and where I am - for a month - the water is very hard and has lots of minerals. I'm waring of washing anything from the CPAP in it because I'm afraid I'll just end up with lots of mineral deposit. So I still don't know how to clean my nasal pillow, hoses,etc. while I'm here.

I was told by everyone to use distilled water when using the CPAP, not tap water.

Thanks for all the points of view! It makes for interesting reading!

Mr Capers

Post by Mr Capers » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:21 am

My first mask, Respironics ComfortGel came with a dvd which showed how they recommended cleaning the mask. They did it every day, gel cushion and silicone seal removed, with soap, fragrance-free. The hose went in the shower with you once a week, but they didn't show using soap, maybe that was assumed.

My new mask F&P Flexifit 407 doesn't have much about care, so I do what the Respironics folks suggested. My detergent is Planet. Found at the grocery store. Recommended by the RTs at Kaiser. It seems to rinse easily, has no fragrance (don't want to breath that all night!), isn't tested on animals, fits into the planet-friendly/green group, etc.

The Respironics mask came apart easier than the FlexiFit, and was much easier to reassemble. The silicone seals should be good for hundreds of cycles of assembly/disassembly. I don't see how tiny water droplets could dry if they got into the crevices of an assembled mask, so I guess I'll keep taking mine apart.

I read somewhere that the #1 cause of leaks was failure of the mask to seal due to build up of skin oils, makeup, and such on the mask. Cleaning every day helps. Also, you don't want no zits where the mask sits!

Has anyone tried Dr. Bronner's liquid soap?

Happy Naps

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks, Sagesteve....using Control III should pretty much do it! I can't believe all the posts either....just couldn't read thru all of them! Too much!

"Knowledge is power."

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Here's my $.02 worth.

I remove the mask seal daily (about the only removable part on a hybrid mask), leaving the nasal pillows in place. I apply a generous amount of a cheap, mild dish soap and clean until I can feel the oils are gone. Occasionally, when the silicone gets cloudy, I will use a much stronger dish soap like Dawn to thoroughly remove oils. I also shave and clean my face each night before retiring. This seems to work pretty good.

I will rinse the plastic part of the mask each day, but only clean it with soap about once a month.

Hose is hung up to dry out, as one 12 foot piece. I don't try to completely dry the hose out as its just going to get damp again anyway. Hose interior never seems to get 'wet' inside. Once a month or so, I clean the hose with mild dish detergent and tapwater. The hose fits nicely over the aerator, so I can pressure-flush the hose as one other poster here mentioned.

I am too new at this to know if this is too harsh on the seals. I know from other applications that silicone is pretty tough stuff.

As far as the HH goes, I dump it daily and rinse it. Sometimes I leave it to dry but just as often I don't. I have noticed a crud buildup in the HH even though I use exclusively steam distilled water. Rather than vinegar, I plan to use citric acid (which I use for taxidermy purposes, and has no odor) to clean the tank. Citric acid is very effective on mineral deposits, and is otherwise very mild. This is what is used in many humidifier cleaners. Furthermore, citric acid is a natural acid and is part of some of the most important biochemical processes in your body. Your body can burn it to make energy. Citric acid is frequently used to give a tart flavor to foods, especially candy.

I did see one person who was using filtered water vs distilled. Bacteria cannot grow in distilled water unless there is also a food source in the water. If there was anything in the water that could be considered food, then it is not distilled by definition. I also change the water every day because the water acts like a filter in its own right, trapping things like smoke (its brush fire season here) and other similar things that get through any filter. The fact I am seeing crud is proof of this.

I clean the foam filter every 10 days or so, and replace the paper filter monthly.

Lastly, if someone is looking for 'pure' soap, my father (a pharmacist) used to use sodium lauryl sulfate for things that needed an especially gentle cleaning.

Jwobble

Post by Jwobble » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:24 am

Hello,

I tried using the baby shampoo for cleaning equipment parts. That was a big mistake because I could not get rid of the smell after copious washing of the parts. My original use of dilute dishwashing detergent (Dawn) worked well and did not leave a residue smell.

The use of a dilute solution of vinegar for cleaning the humidity chamber worked well.

Hope this is useful feedback.

Johnny

MapleG

Post by MapleG » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:20 pm

I will add my two cents. In addition to the normal manuals you get with CPAP/mask, I got a brochure from the DME about cleaning and mainetance. I would say the manufacturer's brochure handles individual situations, but they give a brochure saying this:

Mask:
Wash face before putting on mask. Clean mask once a week by hand with mild soap and water, plus daily cleaning or wiping of parts that are in contact with ski or mucous membranes recommended. Rinse in clear water and hand or pace on towel to air dry. Clean in morning, should be dry by bedtime.

Filters-washable filters should be washed in warm soapy water (mild soap, don't use highly aromatic soaps. More often if lot of pet hairs or dust.

Humidifier-they recommend empty excess water in the morning (I don't do that). Distilled obviously. Since heat and water encourage bacterial growth, weekly cleaning of humidifier chamber with 1/2 vinegar, 2/3 tap water. Use nothing stronger than white vinegar for home cleaning.

alenasteregina

Отличный у Вас сайт! Есть предложение.

Post by alenasteregina » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:56 am

Отличный у Вас сайт! Есть пару предложений по поводу дизайна.

С Уважение Алена Стригина.

gilbert

Post by gilbert » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:00 am

I clean my mask using quick silver cpap mask cleaner. It prevents and kills germs. I bought them online at yourcpapmask dotcom
Thank you
Gilbert

dream weaver

Post by dream weaver » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:38 am

guy's with all the different viruses and diseases and you won't take your mask apart and clean it? if i loose a part or if it won't fit back togeather properly i'll get a new one. Its not worth being that cheap. A stay in the hospital will cost alot more not only that you could contract somthing from a dirty mask that harms you for life..

avi123

Re:

Post by avi123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:44 pm

delete

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

charliemack

Post by charliemack » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:38 am

I can see why someone could read this discussion topic and come away unsure of what procedure to use to clean CPAP EQUIPMENT. Maybe a survey could help with something like below and then the results posted showing the results.

CPAP EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE

MASK EXAMPLE
HOW OFTEN CLEANED daily,weekly,monthly,yearly,never
CLEANER (soap, wipes,vinegar etc) mild unscented soap
SOAKING TIME 15 minutes
HOW TO DRY (air, towel etc) air,none

HOSE
HOW OFTEN CLEANED daily,weekly,monthly,yearly,never
CLEANER (soap, wipes,vinegar etc) mild unscented soap and vinegar solution
SOAKING TIME 15 minutes
HOW TO DRY (air, towel etc) air,none

CPAP HUMIDIFIER TANK