Painful ear and dropping water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sionghua

Painful ear and dropping water

Post by sionghua » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:21 pm

I have been using my APAP for a couple of weeks now, recently when I was testing the leak on my mask I turned the machine to 20cm pressure and tested to make sure there is not leak. But after that I found that my left ear is painful whenever I try to blow my nose, or when the pressure is higher during the night. On the other hand, the mask seems to be dripping water (3 times last night) into my nose and face, the humidifier is set to 1 so is not very high, I wonder why this happened.

linda b

Post by linda b » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:07 pm

I can't help much with the ear problem, but am wondering at what pressures you have your APAP set. I think it is usually recommended to try and keep the range as narrow as possible, usually about 3 cms either side of your titrated number. Example: I was titrated at 12 cm and my range is set at 9 to 15. It is also my understanding that allowing the pressure to go too much higher than your titrated number can cause central apneas. A few people have their machines set wide open, from 4 to 20, but this is usually only done when an APAP is being used for a week or two to do the titration rather than at a sleep study. Perhaps others better versed on this subject will respond.

As to the water issue, I, too, sometimes get water leaking onto my nose (Known as rainout) even with a setting of 1 on the humidifier. I think it may be related to the humidity in the air. My part of the country is very humid in summer and even with air conditioning, the house humidity does flucuate. A hose cover made of fleece or something similar might help. These are easy to make or can be purchased at padacheek.com.

Linda B.

sionghua

Post by sionghua » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:33 pm

My titration number is only 9 and my sleep physician prescribed the range to be 7-15, but I didn't follow the prescription and set it to 4-20cm, but my 90% pressure is only 12.3cm. I guess the problem is probably due to my few second of 20cm when I test my leak. Or may be due to normal every night pressure, I am not sure though, had no problem when hiring a CPAP on 9cm. I have set it back to 7-15cm, will see doctor in 30 minutes. Your suggestion of a hose wrap is a brilliant idea Thanks.

mch441

Post by mch441 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:56 pm

see an ear nose and thoat doctor about having tubes put in your ears,stops the ear popping and pressure.only down side is they only last up to about 18 months.my doctor put them in to try to help withy chronic ear infections and ive had no problems since.as for the rainout i have a hose snuggly.even with the humidity at 5 i never seem to have a problem

ColoradoDreamer

Post by ColoradoDreamer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:51 pm

Here are some items to check with regards to water condensation.

-Are you able to get by with setting your humidifier to zero? You will get some humidity even with it not heated but not as much.

-Is your room cold/cool? Turn up the heat, turn down the AC or close open windows

-Do you sleep with a fan on in your room? Turn off fan or at least direct it away from you and the hose.

-Is your hose covered? If not, go buy some fleece material and make yourself a hose cover (or buy one). It may not cure you of condensation in the mask but it will help keep water from condensing in the hose.

-Are you able to sleep with your hose under the covers? Body heat may help warm the humidified air. The extra heat may help reduce the condensation.

-Are you able to afford a heated hose? This works for me. (sleepzone.com) I’ve tried all above except turning up the house heat (we like it at a cool 60F in the winter) and sleeping with the hose and only got marginal results. Without the heated hose the condensation in my mask and hose only got worse in Nov, Dec and Jan.

While this may not help you with your mask problems, you may also consider moving your machine closer to the floor. Should you get condensation in the hose it will drain back into the humidifier.

Keep in mind where you live and how you live make a difference. Some in warmer climates can get by without a hose cover while others that live in the cold climates need all the help we can get. Some like their rooms hot while others like them cold.

Click on the light bulb for more ideas.