Is CPAP a scam of sorts? - my story

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:07 pm

Fortunately for my aunt's friend hers was a mild case (she didn't fit into the typical profile) and a simple solution since she didn't suffer episodes on her side.

It does make me wonder if things would be different if she would have a sleep study today (she has since passed on) since she was diagnosed in the infancy of sleep study approximately 10 or 12 years ago if my memory serves me (it might even be a little longer). She was a nurse and had a sleep study done -- just don't know how extensive it was at the time.

I read Dr. Gott's article not long ago where he suggested the use of a tennis ball sewed onto the back of your sleepwear -- but he did a disservice in not establishing the fact that for many of us that is not a viable option!!
I tried it and it did not work for me. It made too much of a racket.
I have been reading your post Rooster and can feel for you -- yet you haven't lost your sense of humor through it all!! I hope you find a resolution and the new job goes well!!

Wolfmarsh

Post by Wolfmarsh » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:31 pm

I think its time to start bringing out the troll picture, for the trolls that keep showing up with no purpose other than to cause trouble.

FORUM TROLL!

swampwitch

Re: Is CPAP a scam of sorts? - my story

Post by swampwitch » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:47 am

One problem is the cpap provider. I went on line as cpap provider and found that they can be had, in quantity from China for as little as $80 -100. My provider said that they were $ 800 and they billed Medicare $1,200. When mine began alarming at 2:00 am I called my provider. They came out and checked my card, saying that I has let my mask leak or that there was a problem with the machine which could be repaired for $ 500 at my expense. The problem occured every night at precisely 2:00 am. Medicare assured me that that wasn't the case. They pay 20% and my insurance pays the rest. Now I find from an insider that they only reset the alarm and Medicare pays them $ 500! No wonder our country is broke. Anyone else had this experience?

Brad949

Post by Brad949 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:13 pm

I have to concur with the commenter who wonders if a scam is, if not prevalent...common. I, too, was diagnosed with sleep apnea. It took two sleep studies to document it to the satisfaction of my insurance carrier. After using the machine, with the two accompanying (and mind-altering) prescriptions, I was in LaLa land every night. Only after reading of the long-term effects of the medications (one is used for Parkinson's patients, as well), did I wean myself from all devices and drugs. Simple positioning of pillows and a more rigorous cardio program have me health in a more holistic way.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Brad:
Without a PSG to confirm your events are at an acceptable level;
you could still succumb to one or more of the thousand cuts which come from untreated apnea.
You would do well to confirm your belief that you do not need further treatment.
Yours is a road well-traveled; but it is often a very short one.
I wish you well; but denial serves one very poorly.

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:30 pm

roster wrote:
sleepycarol wrote:........and a tennis ball sewed into the back of the pj top stopped the apnea .........

I tried it and it did not work for me. It made too much of a racket.

Brad949 wrote: the machine, with the two accompanying (and mind-altering) prescriptions
This is not a standard practice all sleep doctors adhere to. Not everyone gets drugs with their CPAP machine. I would venture to say this is UNUSUAL. Putting the two together as a part and parcel of treatment is mistaken. My doctor never mentioned medication at any point.
Brad949 wrote:I wean myself from all devices and drugs.
That is sort of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. However if pillows and exercise work for you, more power to you. I wish they did for me. I have to stick with my machine.

Beezlebub

Post by Beezlebub » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:53 pm

What I infer the gentleman is saying is that a CPAP plus his chin strap did the trick.
This happens sometimes with studies. Most people are put on a nasal mask to start with, and if the mouth stays closed this will due the trick at the optimal pressure. Some people have a hard time keeping their mouth closed while sleeping for obvious reasons. Others due fine until they get to REM sleep (which is the hardest to treat). Some folks have full face masks due to not being able to keep their mouth closed. In the clinic being discussed perhaps the gentleman did fine without a chin strap or small leak, and the tech/dr. saw no reason to implement a chin strap. Then at home his mouth continually opened. When the mouth opens on nasal CPAP, the air used to keep the passageway open escapes through the mouth!

Sheeple

Post by Sheeple » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:42 am

As the years tick by, people are going to look back on the "sleep apnea" thing and see it for what it really is: A complete scam. Do some people have obstruction issues? Yes. Can those be medically addressed? Yes. But to say millions of people are overweight, having heart attacks, etc., from sleep apnea? Eating a bag of potato chips can give you a heart attack too. Being overweight can give you a heart attack. Genetics alone can give you a heart attack. It all gets back to one basic thing: If millions of people today have sleep apnea, why didn't we hear about this 20 years ago? At all? Another over-diagnosed, ridiculous concept for the majority of people. But everything today is a "disease" - God forbid it's because you are overweight, leading a sedentary life, not getting fresh air, sunshine, or doing something to make you tired. It used to be called "physical activity". Before everyone had sinus problems, allergies, was afraid of the sun, etc. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:55 am

Sheeple wrote:If millions of people today have sleep apnea, why didn't we hear about this 20 years ago?
I don't know who "we" are, but sleep apnea first appeared as an observation by Charles Dickens in 1837.

"I" was certainly aware of it 20 years ago, so perhaps the reason "you" did not hear of it was that you weren't listening, or couldn't make it out over the noise of
Eating a bag of potato chips
You Kids Have Fun!!

Lazer1234

Post by Lazer1234 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:21 am

Sludge wrote:
Sheeple wrote:If millions of people today have sleep apnea, why didn't we hear about this 20 years ago?
I don't know who "we" are, but sleep apnea first appeared as an observation by Charles Dickens in 1837.

"I" was certainly aware of it 20 years ago, so perhaps the reason "you" did not hear of it was that you weren't listening, or couldn't make it out over the noise of
Eating a bag of potato chips
Or maybe not Sheeple was born 20 years ago?

Everything I write I translate through Google Translate.
Hope you have patience with that, sometimes it can get a little crazy.
/Lazer1234

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:25 am

Lazer1234 wrote:Or maybe not Sheeple was born 20 years ago?
Maybe we have found the oft-mentioned person who was "born yesterday"!
You Kids Have Fun!!

Sludge

Post by Sludge » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:28 am

Sheeple wrote:...why didn't we hear about this 20 years ago?
Because you are

You Kids Have Fun!!

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:16 am

Sheeple wrote:As the years tick by, people are going to look back on the "sleep apnea" thing and see it for what it really is: A complete scam. Do some people have obstruction issues? Yes. Can those be medically addressed? Yes. But to say millions of people are overweight, having heart attacks, etc., from sleep apnea? Eating a bag of potato chips can give you a heart attack too. Being overweight can give you a heart attack. Genetics alone can give you a heart attack. It all gets back to one basic thing: If millions of people today have sleep apnea, why didn't we hear about this 20 years ago? At all? Another over-diagnosed, ridiculous concept for the majority of people. But everything today is a "disease" - God forbid it's because you are overweight, leading a sedentary life, not getting fresh air, sunshine, or doing something to make you tired. It used to be called "physical activity". Before everyone had sinus problems, allergies, was afraid of the sun, etc. It's getting pretty ridiculous.
Boy do I wish it was a scam big time because if that were the case, my health would be significantly improved from sleeping off of the pap machine since I can't tolerate pap therapy at all. Unfortunately, that is not the case and I feel lousy every time I sleep even when it is for 8 hours. Unfortunately, since I feel worse using the machine in spite of by best efforts, I have to chose between two crappy options. As a result, I will be having surgery to correct a deviated septum and reduce my turbinates in the hopes I can use that "scam" machine.

HerbM

Post by HerbM » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:10 am

As far as Sleep Studies being in their infancy, I had one over 20 years ago (1993 or earlier), and no one acted like it was a big deal to offer that or conduct it.

(That study was negative. This year my study was positive at AHI 49, but there is no way to say when my 'mere snoring' became chronic sleep apnea.)

--
Sweet Dreams,
HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-14 w/AHI: 0.2 avg for 7-days

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:36 pm

FASTFJR wrote:I have concluded that CPAP is a scam of sorts. 12 months ago a went to see my
doctor for snoring, he in turn sent me to an nose and throat doc. After seeing that doctor
he send me to a sleep study guy. Long story short my test come back, I have sleep apnea.
A month after the second test using a CPAP unit I get mine own unit. That was about 8 months ago.
I was very good for about 2 months, after that it went down hill. I have the Opti Life unit.
During this whole time Nobody ever suggested that I try a chin strap to hold my mouth
shut which would force me to breath thru my nose. 3 months ago I bought a small chin
strap from ebay and gave it a shot, chin strap alone. Well, what do you know, after a month
I felt great. I went back to the sleep study doctor and asked for another study with
the chin strap alone. At 1st he said no way. It was not until I got 2 other doctors involed
that he OKed it. Last week my sleep study came back 100% normal. What a waste of money
the last year has been. Some times its the simple things that work.

FYI: The doctor and the test are both out of U of Penn

I guess my whole point is why didn't the doctors try the simplest thing 1st. I have talked to 2 other folks that have been down the same road. I paid over $4000.00 out of my pocket over the last year. And it turns out that a $15.00 strap did the trick.
I'm sorry,, but I think the very idea that a chinstrap 'cured' sleep apnea is bull.

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**