If you could have only one nasal mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Newsgrouper

If you could have only one nasal mask?

Post by Newsgrouper » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:03 pm

If you could have only one nasal mask, what would you select? I have a Respironics Comfort Gel on the way but have learned here that they leave much to be desired. When my machine arrives I want to also have on hand a mask that will give me the best chance of success. What is considered the "best" nasal mask for a restless side sleeper?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:06 pm

In my opinion, the Breeze with nasal pillows.

Newsgrouper

Post by Newsgrouper » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:41 pm

Is the Breeze better than the Aura in your opinion?

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:16 am

Or the Activa... Haven't tried it myself, but hear that it is great for active sleepers...

The general rundown of popular Masks (no particular order)

Aura

Breeze

Swift

Activa

The full face mask that everyone seems to have better luck with is the

Ultra Mirage Full Face

All of the links above will show you the masks. Do a search on each, and you will get a feel for which one will work for you.

I think its great that you are taking your therapy seriously. I can say personally that I also wanted to get the right mask, right machine etc. Your first mask might not be right for you regardless of the research. This is due to the wide variance of preference, and the size/shapes of our faces. IF you have a DME that will let you try out all kinds of masks, go that route!! It will be much cheaper than experimenting yourself. If you don't have that luxury, then read a lot, and pick one that you think you can live with.

On a side note, for my compliance I got a machine that allowed me to monitor my therapy. What it also shows me is how much or little my mask is leaking. I find it VERY helpful in troubleshooting mask issues...

Good Luck and welcome!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:38 am

Newsgrouper, I like the Aura the best - "for me".

The Aura is my personal favorite, with my previous favorite, the Breeze, a very close second.

I use my Aura most nights, occasionally using my Breeze perhaps one night a week just for a change.

Until Aeiomed has Extra Large pillows available for the Aura, it may not work well for some - a lot of men, in particular. The Aura seems to also take more tweaking for some - a lot of women in particular. Breeze is easier to get fixed "right", right out of the box, imho.

The longer stabilizing side straps Puritan Bennett started including with the improved Breeze a year or so ago made the Breeze fit better. That's something Aeiomed might want to consider more seriously... to make the Aura seal better for many women.

I don't mind rigging homemade straps to get the Aura (or any other mask) to fit me perfectly, but others might struggle with the normal adjustments and say, "To heck with this."

When the Aura's right, it's absolutely the most comfortable, imho, for sleeping restlessly in any position. Getting the Aura to seal may be an impossibility for some men until the Extra Large pillows are ready. A seal can also be impossible for some women or anyone with a small head unless they are willing to get very creative with making extra straps.

Given those considerations, I'd recommend the Breeze in general for now. Straight out of the box, I think it will suit more head types. Even though I prefer the Aura.

I don't know how long the offer will last, but there is one online store - cpapsuperstore - that is selling the Aura with a satisfaction guarantee. If you buy it, try it, and don't like it, you can send it back to them for full refund.

That would make the Aura very appealing to try, but I'd certainly check with the store when ordering to be sure the offer still stands.

As far as I know, the Aura is the only mask that store is offering that kind of guarantee on. That's how all cpap masks should be sold, in my opinion.

MartiniLover

Post by MartiniLover » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:46 am

I have the Nasal Aire II and the Breeze.

I like the Nasal Aire II better. Took a while to get used to, but of the tree mask that I own, I like it the best.

Bipap 13/9, 10ft Hose

UKnowWhatInSeattle

Post by UKnowWhatInSeattle » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:48 am

Newsgrouper,

Of the "nasal pillows" style of nasal interface, I'd go with Breeze or ResMed Swift (although Breeze probably does better for an active sleeper). Of the "nasal mask" style of interface, I like the ResMed Activa and ResMed UltraMirage. But what do I know? I've only got 8 or 9 masks...

My current rotation is Breeze, Swift, and UltraMirage.

Most important in your decision making is to trust everything Rested Gal sez! She was sent by aliens to help us all sleep better. Picture her with the Aura on her head and you'll get the "alien" thing.

Buena Suerte!
UKWIS

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:47 pm

You all really, really, REALLY wouldn't want to see me all decked out in the Aura!!

I won't even look in a mirror when I have it on. But, gosh, it's nice to sleep in - pantyhose, tape, and all!

coffee

Post by coffee » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:52 pm

My wife is originally from Austria and her immigration status here is "Resident Alien". But since I started using the CPAP and mask I have taken over that title in our household...

I also want to thank Rested Gal for her generous postings sharing her various experiments & experiences with all this "alien" gear. thanks R.G.

Additional Comments: RemStar BiPAP AutoSV model #104016

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:09 pm

I'm sure UnknownWhatInSeattle means the other kind of aura....
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

dixiedog

CPAP-Pro

Post by dixiedog » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:30 am

I just got my new CPAPpro nasal pillows with NO head gear, just a dental fitting (think football/sport mouthpiece or a dental retainer). If you don't have problems with your teeth, this is a great mask. Check it out on the cpappro.com website. The man who invented it is a sleep apnea sufferer of many years who tried many masks with various results, decided the only thing that didn't move in relation to your nose when you toss and turn is your upper jaw. You custom mold the mouthpiece (or have your dentist do it) and that's all there is to it. May I repeat NO head gear!!!

53now

Post by 53now » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:07 pm

Newsgrouper,
I am somewhat embarrassed to respond to your question. I've been on a frustrating and expensive journey. "Finding the perfect mask !!!!!!!! I've used 15 different masks in the past 8 months. I'm a retired teacher so ....obviously I'm not a wealthy person. I've traded for......borrowed.....bought used......used
Ebay.......Yahoo Auctions etc. Here's my list:
Aclaim2
ComfortGel
Infinity 481
Snapp
NasalAire
Aura
NasalAireII
Spiritus
Adam's Circuit
Mirage FF
Breeze
Ultra Mirage FF
Activa
Swift

Most of these masks would have worked for me if the headgear was different. Also******* My pressure is 16/12 Bipap. The higher pressures put more stress on many of the mask's ability to seal.

The 15th mask is actually the first mask I used 5 years ago. The Ultra Mirage Nasal mask. The headgear is perfect for me and it does not leak ....ever !! Of course on someone else's face it might leak like crazy !!

I want to thank Wader and Rested Gal for bailing me out on a couple of my "mistake purchases"

Is this my last mask purchase ???? probably not

Rich

UKnowWhatInSeattle

Post by UKnowWhatInSeattle » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:28 pm

LaurazAura?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:17 pm

LOL, seattle. You silly thing, you!

Looks like I've gone radioactive. Or am about to be assimilated by the Green Slime.

IWannaSleep

Breeze

Post by IWannaSleep » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:40 pm

My health care provider recently loaned me a Breeze nasal pillows for a week test. I'm a newbie so I'm just trying to figure this all out, but I liked the nasal pillows better than the mask I tried first.

My only problem with the breeze was the plastic part of the headgear that wraps around the back of your head. I could get the nasal pillows adjusted comfortably, but when I lay my head on my pillow it would press against, and move the plastic at the back, and cause the nasal pillows to move resulting in a leak or in too much pressure against my nose. I could mess around with my head/pillow and get everything to sit just right, but then if I rolled left or right, the pressure on the plastic would cause it all to rotate slightly and resulted in hurting my nose, and/or starting to leak.
9 cm h2o