Waking with a stiff neck. CAN someone recommend a pillow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rockside

Waking with a stiff neck. CAN someone recommend a pillow

Post by Rockside » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:46 pm

Has anyone used the PAP pillow? I was wondering if they are helpful or not? Or does anyone have any suggestions on a good pillow. I wake up in the morning and can barely turn my head after using my CPAP.

Last edited by Rockside on Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpoe689

PAP Pillow

Post by bpoe689 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:21 pm

What is a Pap pillow?

Just Becky, asked another dumb question
I just had my first night of sleep study. My questions is, when I have the gastric bypass surgery and lose weight, will I still have to wear this equipment? I have not received all results, but oxygen level did go down to 76. That they did not like.

Rockside

Post by Rockside » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:24 pm

Found this on this site

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sleepquest/pappidoedpa.html

One of the most common CPAP compliance problems is mask leak. Both side and stomach sleepers (the preferred position for the Sleep Apnea patient) are especially vulnerable when their standard bed pillow moves the mask out of position, blocks exhalation ports or causes pressure point soreness.

Shoulder curves promote both comfort and proper positioning. The depth of the 5 inch quilted side panel maintains a clean edge and provides the fit and support necessary to maintain the proper seal of any nasal or facial interface while at the same time, not interfere with ventailation. The depth of all PAPillows provides the proper alignment for the side sleeper without the use of a second pillow.

SleepQuest is pleased to provide a solution to this problem by offering the line of PAPillows™ designed by sleep apnea patients themselves! PAPillows™ are PRESSURE ALLEVIATING PILLOWS designed for side or stomach sleepers who use CPAP, wear braces, retainers, oral appliances or use oxygen via mask or nasal cannula. The PAPillow™ proprietary design will ensure the best sleep possible when wearing any nasal or oral device.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:06 pm

I'm a side sleeper. Sleeping with my head on the edge of a Tempur-pedic (dense foam) pillow works great for me with all kinds of masks.

I used to add another thin regular foam pillow stacked on top of the thin edge of the Tempur, but lately I've been using just the Tempur.

The trick to any pillow working well with a mask (for side sleepers, anyway) is that the pillow be firm enough along the edge to keep the mask raised up off the mattress. Having your head on the edge of the pillow lets the mask hang out over open space.

If a person likes a very soft pillow, it can be difficult. That's why I used to stack the Tempur with a thin, but very soft foam pillow on top of it. The Tempur held it up just enough.

bpoe689

PAP pillow

Post by bpoe689 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:21 pm

I have to sleep on a wedge - doctor's orders. Bed is also elevated. Maybe I'll just start trying to sleep standing up.

Thanks for answering my question.

Becky
I just had my first night of sleep study. My questions is, when I have the gastric bypass surgery and lose weight, will I still have to wear this equipment? I have not received all results, but oxygen level did go down to 76. That they did not like.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:26 am

Ah, now HERE is a problem I can seriously relate to. One of the reasons I had SUCH problems getting aclimated to CPAP (and why I'm not currently using, although I will try it again in the future, when some other things clear up in my life) was the neck problem.

I'm also a side sleeper, and even with the least intrusive interfaces out there, invariably I seemed to feel like I had to hold my head in a (slightly) different position than normal, and I'd end up with a stiff neck.

I never found a solution to it, but if you do, PLEASE let me know!

Liam, pain in the neck.

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:53 am

I use a memory foam type (think we got it at JC Penny) It doesn't seem to knock the mask out of position, and adapts to the headgear because of the foam. I think even WalMart sells em.

Big Snore

Post by Big Snore » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:22 am

Mikesus wrote:I use a memory foam type (think we got it at JC Penny) It doesn't seem to knock the mask out of position, and adapts to the headgear because of the foam. I think even WalMart sells em.

Me too, no more neck pain!!
Its always breezy in here....

ozij

pillow training

Post by ozij » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:35 am

Hi Liam
I'm serious: maybe you should get the pillow, and try training on it without a mask - so you won't have to feel you have to hold up the mask's weight, and keep it from leaking while you get used to a slightly different position.

By the way, this was also discussed on TAS - and people mentioned the PAPillow as a good solution too.

O. One of those sleepers who need everthing just so in order to fall asleep...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Gil

Finding the right pillow

Post by Gil » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:51 am

From my experience from having neck pain for 15 years I feel I may be of some help when it comes to choosing pillows
First the main point is that you keep your spine and neck in as straight a line a possible while sleeping. So if you are a back sleeper you would want a thin pillow. But if you are a side sleeper I would go for a very firm that will support your head to keep your spine straight. As a side sleeper I would measure the distance between the side of my head to my arm. I would look for a pillow with about that thickness and very firm. Also I have found that if you do find a good foam rubber firm pillow that you will also find in about 3 months it will loose it firmness. I have also had good success with making my own pillow. As a last resort I went to a foam rubber store and got a piece of very firm foam rubber about 2 inches thick and on top of that I put a piece of soft foam and it worked as well as any bought pillow. If you are a person that sleeps on your side and back you might try a pillows that are firm on the sides and have a cut out center that has been replaced with a soft foam for back sleeping. There are hard to find but I have use one and its not bad.
Lately I have found good success with the memory foam pillows. I also have found that memory foam pillows come in thin and thick. The ones in sleep store for about $100.00 plus did not impress me. As a side sleeper I found a memory foam pillow at kohl’s department store. It measures 4 ½ “ thick and seem to hold it firmness over time. The thicker firm memory foam are hard to find. That info on my pillow says, Sleep innovations Inc. 187 route 36, Suite 201,West long Branch, NJ.07764. I searched the address and found a link to Sleep innovations. It is http://www.sleepinnovations.com/product-lines.php
I hope the info above will be of help.

Gil

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:01 am

Liam wrote:I'm also a side sleeper, and even with the least intrusive interfaces out there, invariably I seemed to feel like I had to hold my head in a (slightly) different position than normal, and I'd end up with a stiff neck.

I never found a solution to it, but if you do, PLEASE let me know!

The aura and a memory foam pillow. You'll be able to sleep anyway you like. If you get to where you want to try it again order a REMstar auto w/cflex and let me know. I'll buy you an aura (seriously).

wader, who hopes Liam can finally "get it." ('pap that is)

Rockside

Post by Rockside » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was in a horrible mood today. Mask kept leaking when I would get comfortable. Did not get good sleep. Anyway, I will have to try it and see.

meister

Only 1 pillow with FDA approval?

Post by meister » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:37 am

http://www.cpapman.com/pillow.html

Apparently this one really works!!

I haven't read Rested Gal's review though. Instead I just went
out and bought a memory foam pillow, based on her post above.
First night was not so good. Maybe it had bad memories from the factory?

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:50 am

meister wrote:I bought a memory foam pillow... First night was not so good. Maybe it had bad memories from the factory?
ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good... one meister

The pillow you linked looks good. I wonder how the sizing works, seems to be a lot of sizes available.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

meister

read the page more closely

Post by meister » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:05 am

there is a sizing template right on the page.