Which machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pls

Which machine?

Post by pls » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:54 pm

I'm about to get a new machine to replace my 10 year old Respironics, the round one.

I definately want an auto and I have to use a heated humidifier.

From what I've read here so far, the best choices seem to be the Resporonics M Auto and the Remstar Auto, with the Remstar Auto having an edge with a better humidifier.

I'm sure this could start quite a discussion, but what do y'all think?

Thanks,
++PLS

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:59 pm

Yep, the RemStar Auto w/C-Flex, pre-M series (the "tank") is well-loved. BUT that new Respironics Auto w/A-Flex is sure gathering fans fast!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

arthuranxious

Post by arthuranxious » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:03 pm

I think a Resmed S8 auto vantage is a fine chocie too, but only available from DME not from online suppliers. the big advantage is that you can get the main stats each morning off the screen without needing software or card reader, and still have the card to let doctor or DME get full statistics.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:30 pm

arthuranxious wrote:I think a Resmed S8 auto vantage is a fine chocie too, but only available from DME not from online suppliers. the big advantage is that you can get the main stats each morning off the screen without needing software or card reader, and still have the card to let doctor or DME get full statistics.
I'm not sure what online suppliers you're referring to.....but CPAP.COM has them......if you desperately want/need one at that price (which is supposed to be the same as DME, although a DME will probably charge about $2500 or more).

https://www.cpap.com/productpage-bundle ... ifier.html

Den

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:32 pm

I'd shoot for the Respironics M series REMstar Auto with A-flex.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:37 pm

I'd shoot for the Respironics , REMstar Auto with A-flex. OPPs, they don't make that, maybe they could reprogram me one. Jim

It would be Nice of them. Probably not a chance.

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Well, yeah, Arthur, I prefer the Resmed S8 AutoSet Vantage too, and for the same reasons as you. BUT - PLS had previously had a Respironics for 10 years and had already narrowed his choices down to the two Respironics so .....

As long as I have good insurance coverage I'm going for my Resmeds. However, self-pay or very limited insurance coverage I'd go for the Respironics myself. Resmeds are no more expensive via the local DME suppliers than the Respironics to the best of my knowledge At least not if you have insurance. Same HCPCS code.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Nodzy

Post by Nodzy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:08 pm

rested gal wrote:I'd shoot for the Respironics M series REMstar Auto with A-flex.
Yeah... what Rested Gal said... up ^ there. A very nice unit with lots of flexibility. I love mine.

Nodzy

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:31 pm

Hey Pls:

I'd do the smart thing and trial several different auto's BEFORE committing to a purchase. While just about every auto can take care of every patient, if you happen to be one of the one's who is not well treated by a particular autopap, and you have committed your hard-earned bucks to the purchase, you'll be an unhappy camper.

All of the machines are good... find the one that is BEST for you before you buy.

Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

j.a.taylor

Post by j.a.taylor » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:45 pm

I really should stay out of this one . . .

I've already gotten that fight going (Respironics vs. ResMed) . . .

But my suggestion is to stay with the brand that for you has been tried and true.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): resmed

Last edited by j.a.taylor on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John A. Taylor

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:55 pm

I'd get another Respironics M series REMstar Auto with A-flex

Like not being on therapy at all.

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:18 pm

Oh, and if you're going to be buying it out of pocket yourself, I'd not bother including the integrated humidifier for the M machine in my purchase. I'd buy a separate heated humidifier like the Fisher & Paykel HC 150 which can be used with any brand or model of machine. Speaking of "tried and true."
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

packer

aflex

Post by packer » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:51 pm

I had tank auto- it was good

aflex is better- and you can have cflex or aflex or straight leaf blower

up to you

humidifier is fine- takes perhaps 10 seconds more per day
[every other day in my case] to fill not a big deal

blue lights are dumb and bright- I use an extra pillow thrown on top

I was in same position you are-- I got aflex-- glad I did Packer

The Remstar Auto

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:26 pm

I have the REMSTAR AUTO with the heated humidifier and I Love It, I couldn't be happier, my DME told me that this is the best machine they ever made... Goodluck

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:15 am

And I would second RGs suggestion: forget the integrated humidifer and get the Fisher & Paykel HC 150 stand alone heated humidifier.

Both the Resmed Humidaire 3i and the Respironics pre-M and M series integrated humidifiers have been known to NOT QUITE CUT THE MUSTARD when the house air is really dry like during an extreme cold spell where the furnace is running almost constantly from time to time. I've experience that and so have others. Just a couple of days here and there but still ... if humidity is important to you the HC 150 is the WAY TO GO! It is small BUT not as handy if you travel a lot as an integrated humidifier; its ONLY drawback.