Possible Discount on Electric Bill with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Slinky

Re: Possible Discount on Electric Bill with CPAP

Post by Slinky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:07 pm

CPAP and/or APAP can prevent apneas and hypopneas and their resulting desaturations by keeping your airway open. In that respect it does help to keep your desats to a minimum IF the cause of the desats are an apnea or hypopnea.

However, any desaturation due to COPD is not going to be brought up to snuff by CPAP or APAP. PAPs don't provide 02, they just provide room air w/pressure to keep your airway open.

PAPs do encourage our body to breathe more deeply - while we are using it. Those of us w/COPD do tend to breathe more shallowly than those w/o lung problems.

So, the answer is Yes and No depending entirely on treating apneas and hypopneas, NOT COPD.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.