Are there any masks out there that DON'T leak????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Suserbec

Post by Suserbec » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:33 am

I am so frustrated. I've been on CPAP for OSA for about 8 weeks and am on my third mask. I am now using the full face ultra mirage, which my doctor thinks is the greatest. It leaks on me! I first started on another full face mask which was unbearable, then went to a comfort gel nasal mask which was very comfortable. But, I was waking with my mouth open. This was discovered because my symptoms were coming back. So, I tried the chin strip. Well, I have TMJ so that wasn't good. Now I'm on this new ultra mirage mask. I've had it for about three nights and it leaks in the bottom two corners if I don't lay JUST RIGHT.

I don't know what to do. Anyone, please help me. Thanks so much!
CPAP has saved my life!!

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:18 am

Have you tried the Mirage Activa.

It works differently than the other masks and I and many others on the forum have had luck with it.

I have a beard and a mustache and change sleep postions alot - it works great for me.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

lerdman

Post by lerdman » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:44 am

Have you tried the adjustment on the arm between the forehead and the nasal part of the mask. This allows you to put more pressure on the top of the mask or the bottom of the mask. I think that movinging it up a notch will put more pressure and therefore a better seal at the bottom of the mask.

Suserbec

Post by Suserbec » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:51 am

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely planning on trying the mirage activa. I know it's a nasal mask and was concerned about opening my mouth but all I can do is try it. I've noticed that a lot of people here speak favorably about it. I also know they are supposed to come out with the activa full face mask in the next year (my doctor told me that) so I am looking forward to that.

Lerdman - I looked at my mask and it is already adjusted to the top notch so I guess that's as far as I can go with that. It's a very comfortable mask but the leakage drives me crazy. It actually doesn't leak at the beginning because I use my ramp feature. But when I wake up in the night, I notice it leaking, then can't get back to sleep because I can't get it situated to stop leaking.

I'll just keep on keeping on!
CPAP has saved my life!!

SleepyGuy

Post by SleepyGuy » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:09 pm

Here's something to keep in mind from a newbie. When I did my titration test the mask leakage bothered me because I figured it meant something was wrong. The tech then told me that some leakage is OK. That put my mind at ease and I was able to sleep.

Lana

Post by Lana » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:13 pm

I had problem with leaks on my first mask Comfort Classic. I also have Activa mask but its just not for my face and was never able to use it for a full night. Two weeks ago I went back to my DME and presented my problems. They let me try on 3 different masks which were not so different from my original one, and finally was given to try on Puritan Bennet nasal pillows and that was a miracle. This "mask" is so light, most of my face is uncovered and so now I move freely from side to side without leaks. You may want to try if that will help you.
Sometimes, all I need is the air that I breathe!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:36 pm

Suserbec, Puritan Bennett's "Breeze" (with nasal pillows) that Lana mentioned is by far my favorite. Back in February when I bought a Breeze, I was still having trouble with my habit of mouth breathing at night. I had to tape my lips closed to use the Breeze. The tape wasn't comfortable to remove in the mornings, but the comfort of sleeping wearing the Breeze was worth it. Whenever I just didn't want to bother applying tape over my mouth, I'd use the Ultra Mirage FF mask which worked fine for me.

Since then I've found more comfortable ways to control mouth air leaks. Taping the lips closed, though, is the most foolproof way to avoid mouth leaks and shouldn't affect your TMJ as the jaw would still be able to move, even if the lips are sealed shut with tape.

Nev

Post by Nev » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:18 am

Suserbec - Keep trying with the Ultra Mirage. Maybe loosen the top straps slightly and tighten the bottom ones a little if necessary. It's more in the balance between the top and bottom straps than in the overall tightness. Have another look at the forehead adjustment arm. Are you sure you can't move it in towards your forehead? I had to fiddle with mine over a couple of weeks when I first got it, but once I had it right it became reasonably comfortable and no more leaks. Even a slight adjustment can make quite a difference.

I'm also waitning on some more reports on the Fisher & Paykel HC431 full face mask. A couple of people have said it's a winner.

BigE

New Breeze Nasal Pillows

Post by BigE » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:15 pm

I am on week #2...started with the New Breeze Nasal Pillow interface...large pillows. I am just loving it! This interface is matched with the PB 420E auto. Very minimal leaks...usually very minor leaking which occurs about 6am...I will try the extra-large pillows soon. Minimal...soothing/relaxing noise. I have not slept like this for YEARS!!

This is the only interface that I have used...however, I have adjusted to it nicely...like wearing a pair of glasses! After a while...you don't know that it is there. I will stay with this set-up.

BigE

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:56 pm

Hi BigE,

Great to hear the Breeze is working well for you.

I was all set to try the resmed swift but I am also now thinking about the breeze because I understand you can use two different size pillows. I still don't like the hose going up the middle but I do sleep on my side frequently and it looks like it's lightyears better than a mask for that.

Does the head gear bother the back of your head when you sleep on your back (if you do)?

I hope you also love your 420E - I love mine!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

BigE

Post by BigE » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:00 pm

I sleep on my side...so this is a good interface for me to use. The only problem that I have with the Breeze...is that I cannot remove my glasses without taking off the system. Minor problem!

BigE

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:31 pm

BigE, a very smart lady (nickname: christinequilts) on another message board posted her method of putting glasses on and off without removing her Breeze. Let me see if I remember the steps correctly (too lazy to go looking for the post itself

Putting glasses on when the Breeze is already in place:

1. hold your glasses "upside down" with the lenses pointed toward your face, stems away from you.

2. turn the glasses sideways (still upside down) and slide one stem between your nose and the Breeze. Work the glasses halfway through until your glasses are sitting in proper position, although still upside down, lenses in front of your eyes

3. flip the glasses over to sit properly.

To take them off, just reverse the procedure. I thought she came up with such a clever way to deal with glasses and Breeze!

WindFlyer

Post by WindFlyer » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:59 pm

Remember also that it might make a difference with the ResMed masks whether you strap on your mask first and then turn the air on, or vice-versa. When I power up my CPAP unit and then put on my nose and mouth mask, sometimes the last little bit of escaping air as I press the mask onto my face will dictate where a leak might start developing. Whereas if I strap the mask on first so the seal is already sealed on my face and then turn on the air, it just pressurizes the mask and the seal stays in place all around.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:05 pm

Excellent advice, WindFlyer...about putting the mask on first and then turning on the cpap. Doing it in that order does make the seal "take hold" better on both my ResMed masks - Activa and Ultra Mirage FF. Thanks for the tip!

Paul

Activa

Post by Paul » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:51 pm

I want to reiterate again that the mask experience is completely personal. I bought the Activa because everyone recommends it but like Lana, I do not like it at all.

I think it is a lot of trial and error till you find one that works for you - and unfortunately with the cost of masks that really sucks.

Good luck finding one that works for you.

Paul